Which small things from the "previous project" do you hope to see improved?

Congrats on the announcement!

I'm sure everyone has small gripes with the other sim, what are some things you all want to see rectified with Combat Pilot? (Drop tanks, options for historically accurate gun harmonization, etc...)

It'll be a long road but I have high hopes for this new sim. Super excited to see where it goes.

• Like 1

Is it wrong for me to say AI?

As primarily an SP and coop MP flier, I've never cared about PvP so the AI of the planes (and ground units too) is really important to me and for most sims the AI never changes much over the life of the product aside from bug fixes.

Hoping CP comes out of the gate with realistic AI! That doesn't mean I want Terminators who are deadly just 1v1 every time, I expect a realistic spectrum of elites, rookies, and in between for my dream WWII sim.

• Like 13

I'm hoping to see the Single Player Career improved, more dynamic, more varied, and a deeper simulation of the squadron and its aircraft. Having seen what third parties have done in MSFS with regards to aircraft wear and tear, state tracking and failures, it'd be amazing to have a fleet of aircraft where each one truly feels like its own machine, with its own quirks and tendencies.

Regardless though, I just can't wait to land a Wildcat on a carrier in VR!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

I would like to see more immersion, like in WoFF/Wotr. In BoX/DCS it’s all a bit sterile. 

Better handling of aliasing in VR mode as both DCS and BoX still have problems with shimmer/flicker/jaggies. While in race games it’s nearly being solved,  without the need of an €1500,- VRheadset and an RTX4999Tiiii. 

Support of AMD VCards as in BoX it’s seems this is still a problem. 

• Like 4

This is one of those things that really irritated me when it was removed from Il-2...

We should have bailouts in the first person without that automatic cutaway to external views during that process or when the plane goes inverted during crashes.

• Like 19

I fly single player.  Right now when I am on a mission with a flight, I feel like a loner flying with three other strangers.  I would like to see the flight fight as a team, AI or not.  It would be nice if AI wingmen acted and communicated like wingmen.  I know that this is asking for a lot, but it is necessary to really amp up the immersion. 

• Like 1

I'd like some simple but effective communication with the AI on top of there being good AI. I remember back to the Aces of the Pacific day where you had a radio menu and you could tell your flight to do things (like formation: echelon left) and they'd do it. Or call out bandits and they'd have a chance of seeing them but not always. Or have them call out bandits. That was all great for immersion!

• Like 8

From my experience with combat flight sims such as the IL-2 series, these are things I’d like to see other than Drop Tanks:

1. The ability to request help from your wingmen if somebody is on your 6 and for them to warn you of incoming enemy aircraft as in “Attention. Fighters, two o’ clock”

2. The flight leader can give orders such as formation, spacing, tactical, navigation, attack, etc.

3. The pilot doesn’t die when parachuting into water and is able to bail out of his airplane after a ditching or crash landing like in CFS3 and IL-2 1946.

4. In the Pilot Career, if one is ever added, if the pilot has to ditch into the sea far from the carrier then he doesn’t fly for at least a day and has a chance of being captured. It was common in IL-2 1946 for you to be shot down in the open ocean far from your carrier and the next mission which took place a few hours later you were all good to go.

5. Can hover the mouse over an instrument to know what it’s telling you as in CloD and WoFF such as on a Japanese plane.

• Like 9

Good morning
And congratulations on this wonderful project.
We've been waiting for this for so long!!

The things I would like to improve are:

• The visual quality of the water, with waves and effects in accordance with the strength of the wind, and the coast.
  • Of course, do not die during a hard landing at sea.
  • The return of the "air marshal" project adapted to the conditions of the Pacific war.
  • The wake effects of planes but also of ships.
  • Effective radio communications with the ground/ship.
  • On-board radios that can be used realistically depending on distances, reliefs and weather.
  • Map navigation tools.
  • Ships that have strengths and weaknesses, but also multiple ways to sink depending on the damage caused.
  • Real-time pilot head movements in airplanes. For VR pilots it increases the immersion, and the plane next to you is no longer just an image, but a human being in his machine.
  • The possibility of seaplanes, we have seen the PBY in pictures, provided it is real!!

Following your news and the development of this sim is going to be fantastic. Great years are ahead of us!!!

• Like 5

• AI Heavy Bombers, B-17 and/or B-24s
  • Robust communication menu to communicate with your wingman, flight, squadron and ground
  • Robust AI that has "a will to live" and perform more complex tactics ie Thatch Weave, Lufbery Circles
  • The ability to depict large flights of aircraft with no time dilation
  • Pilots able to float if they go down over the water
  • Visible ground crew/marshallers
  • DROP TANKS

Admittedly, these aren't really "small things" but things I'd like to be included from day 1.

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Like 8

P51 resized.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

2 hours ago, Enceladus said:

From my experience with combat flight sims such as the IL-2 series, these are things I’d like to see other than Drop Tanks:

3. The pilot doesn’t die when parachuting into water and is able to bail out of his airplane after a ditching or crash landing like in CFS3 and IL-2 1946.

Imo the main failing with bailing out of the aircraft in IL-2 1946 happened when the noparachutes option was enabled. All too often I saw a friendly AI pilot who had crash landed safely in friendly territory burn up in their cockpit because they did not exit the plane. Hated to end up flying the mission again because a high time veteran Pilot in your squadron died because of this situation.

---------

Realistic turning of ships. Those 90 degree turns in 1946 are a real eyesore to watch.

Station keeping with ships. Possibly done by creating a single waypoint path for one ship to follow and then attaching the other ships to the main ship.

Wheels

• Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

Fix the simple ease of life things, like an Escape button that actually works in the key bindings list, and no more stupid green button asking you to press to enter game, or asking you to confirm your intentions to quit, just get on with it.  This ain't windows, and we don't need to be wasting time confirming things we just selected.  And definitely settings that keep per plane, shouldn't have to chronically reset every detail and setting every time you select a different ride, to include skins.  Take the annoyance away and make it quicker to get your game on.  A restart button would be a groovy feature for doing faster performance settings tests.

• Like 1

1. Better interface for controllers and configuration

2. Rear gunners and AI wingmen that actually is of use in regards to calling out threats and will be of support when in a tricky situation.

3. Ingame map navigation tools for use in VR

4. Communication with AI wingmen and ground control that is actually doing something

• Like 2

Cheers to all and hello to Jason and his team.

One thing I would like, is viewing contacts regardless of what hardware configuration the user has. It is the simulator that must adapt to the hardware. The contacts must be seen I have a 4k resolution or I have a 2k resolution. This, if done, would be an epochal thing that DCS and IL2 have never solved and turned away many users.

• Like 3

More realistic navigation options:

- Manual course setting.

- Getting a Morse signal for home beaconing.

- Choosing to what airfield (or carrier) homing indicators guide your plane instead of automatically being guided to the nearest airfield.

(They don't need to model the whole tuning in to the right frequency - although I wouldn't mind if they do).

Have a nice day.

~S~

• Like 2

I want some more accurate belt composition for the guns in the game, such as you can choose between presets like you have in DCS right now for the ww2 guns. Also, IL-2 was very lacking in the sound department, so better sound design overall would be very good.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ROTER_BART said:

I'd love to see realistic tropical Pacific weather/clouds, and clouds that are opaque to the AI.

But also, if possible, wind effects that go with this weather which can be very capricious in these latitudes.
I don't know if the game engine will be able to handle thunderstorms and the difficulties of approaching them by plane, but it would be great.

• Like 2