Masters of the Air (Apple TV+)

DBFlyguy

This 3rd part of the "Band of Brothers" series has been in development FOREVER it seems like.... 😑But today a couple very small clips were released in the "coming soon" sizzle reel from Apple TV+, I'm hoping this one is great like "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" were but I'm currently skeptical ...we'll see though.. whenever it actually releases...

There's also a couple more "micro-clips" in an sizzle reel from earlier this year:

• Like 1

P51 resized.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

thanks for the pointer, already have ATV+.  Will keep any eye out.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

1 hour ago, DBFlyguy said:

Very small clip released today by the writer of the mini-series:

Nice little teaser!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Unlike the other 'Band of Brothers' series, this is not about the ground war, which was extremely realistic.

The air war is a completely different thing to portray and make the aircraft and the action look real.

I'm not holding my breath on this, as most computer graphics depicting planes and combat do not always come up to the mark... 

• Like 1

I am so looking forward to this show!

Have been waiting forever and also read the book which is a very good read.

Regarding the quality of the show - let's hope they didn't cut the budget for the VFX and CG departments and that HBO will deliver!

In the meantime I'll rewatch BoB and The Pacific for the who knows how many time 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golani79 said:

I am so looking forward to this show!

Have been waiting forever and also read the book which is a very good read.

Regarding the quality of the show - let's hope they didn't cut the budget for the VFX and CG departments and that HBO will deliver!

In the meantime I'll rewatch BoB and The Pacific for the who knows how many time 😅

Psst, Apple TV+

• Haha 1

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

Good ole Apple TV... gonna be sailing the high seas for this one for sure.

Only thing I watched from them was their Foundation TV adaptation, it was certainly a very pretty looking production but otherwise was complete trash. Sounds about on par for most other Apple products. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for this though.

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

I'm looking forward to checking it out... but all this delay plus the massive use of obvious CGI is making me question the actual quality of the show... "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" set a pretty high bar... we'll see whenever it eventually drops.

There are some very good shows on Apple TV+ though.  I highly recommend Echo 3 &  For All Mankind

"Echo 3" Trailer:

"For all Mankind" Trailer:

P51 resized.jpg

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, golani79 said:

Nice! I hope it will fulfill our expectations!

Also I'm curious if we will get a BluRay release at a later point .. I'd like to add it to my physical collection.

It'll eventually get a bluray release I'm sure

P51 resized.jpg

3 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Getting CGI looking real in any air combat film I've watched has been a bit of a let down... for me it never makes me think that was superb.

It will be interesting to see how they try to pull it off with this.

The production quality of BoB and The Pacific was pretty high - lets hope they kept their high standards and didn´t cut things on the CGI part of production.

Both "Top Gun: Maverick" and "Devotion" set the bar for aerial sequences that perfectly blend real aircraft with CGI/visual effects, the standard is set.  Both of those movies had extremely passionate aviation people behind them making the decisions and it shows.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that "Masters of the Air" doesn't disappoint in the aerials sequences. I do have other concerns about some of the narrative/story/a-historical choices I know are coming 🤨 but I'll wait until I see a full trailer before deciding ....

P51 resized.jpg

I have Apple TV nonetheless, so you can guess what I'll do by default... 😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

"Devotion" set the bar for aerial sequences that perfectly blend real aircraft with CGI/visual effects

Not for me it didn't... I really enjoyed Devotion, didn't think I would, but I did.

Having said that, I still could instantly see when the CGI scenes cut in, it was plainly CGI, not the real thing.

Maybe it's me setting the bar too high, but I expect to be wowed to the extent that I can't tell the difference between the two... that's when I will give a film the big thumbs up for it's depiction of air combat CGI.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2023 at 1:33 PM, DBFlyguy said:

I'm looking forward to checking it out... but all this delay plus the massive use of obvious CGI is making me question the actual quality of the show... "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" set a pretty high bar... we'll see whenever it eventually drops.

There are some very good shows on Apple TV+ though.  I highly recommend Echo 3 &  For All Mankind

"Echo 3" Trailer:

"For all Mankind" Trailer:

I’ve started watching For All Mankind.  I find the use of period music is a little bit excessive so far, but I’ve not gotten far enough into the show to form a good opinion.  But I’m still watching it.  Reminds me of Kerbal so far!

2 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

I’ve started watching For All Mankind.  I find the use of period music is a little bit excessive so far, but I’ve not gotten far enough into the show to form a good opinion.  But I’m still watching it.  Reminds me of Kerbal so far!

The 4th season starts next month, it'll be interesting to see where they take it this season. 

In other Apple TV+ news, this looks great:

I'm patiently waiting for the first "Masters of the Air" teaser trailer... it shouldn't be too much longer since the dates been announced...

• Like 1

P51 resized.jpg