Discussion of Developer Diary #03

Jason_Williams

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions

DD 03

Dear Pilots,

Our work on Combat Pilot continues and we have completed our first official 6 months as a team and results are positive. The hardest part of creating something out of nothing is creating a strong foundation for where we want go. You have to walk before you can fly, but when tangible progress is made it's very satisfying to say. Right now, that work is focused on physics, flight-modeling, research (technical and historical), and 3D assets. But even somewhat straightforward tasks like building models requires research and finding the right artist to make what you need. And until you establish some standards it’s a little bit like stumbling around in the dark. When it comes to art and 3D assets we are starting to find our groove and you can see that in the pics I’ve chosen below. We hope you like them and it’s an example of where we are headed stylistically.

F4F-4 Work Continues

Our F4F-4 built by Chris is coming along nicely. He’s working primarily on the landing gear now and you can see there is some good detail there just like the rest of the plane. Lots and lots of rivets hold this bird together. He also worked on the propeller hub recently. Our F4F is going to be very nice.

F4F_Prop_Gear_01.thumb.png.f6d2ac3b46184ee5a6ce3043932ec0bb.png F4F_Prop_Gear_02.thumb.png.ad2ca3be15565ddc5c2bbc9e36c531ef.png F4F_Prop_Gear_03.thumb.png.79add6b83e300720b6ac774a5b83c9bf.png

Full Developer Diary is HERE! 

Jason

• Like 12

Hmm. I am first after 10 hours? 
Anyway, I really do like what I see. Will there be a folding wing feature in game? 
And I wish for utter rubbish Zero pilots online so I can get some kills with that Wildcat. I probably one of very few preferring the Wildcat before later naval ac. I just love an underdog. No shame getting shot down in them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I mean, this is everything an update should be. Great selection of information, a great variety of images and a partial introduction to the team of modellers. 

Jason, a quick question about the gun emplacements. Is the intention to have an animated crew of gunners with them or static model humans (like BoX)? 

Also, I know it hasn't been announced yet but how far ahead do you think you will be able to announce the game engine you are building CP with? 

Looking forward to future progress, cheers, Mysticpuma. 

• Like 7

Thanks for the update! Everything looks awesome!

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

31 minutes ago, Lusekofte said:

Hmm. I am first after 10 hours? 
Anyway, I really do like what I see. Will there be a folding wing feature in game? 
And I wish for utter rubbish Zero pilots online so I can get some kills with that Wildcat. I probably one of very few preferring the Wildcat before later naval ac. I just love an underdog. No shame getting shot down in them 

We already have folding wings animated.

Jason

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

I mean, this is everything an update should be. Great selection of information, a great variety of images and a partial introduction to the team of modellers. 

Jason, a quick question about the gun emplacements. Is the intention to have an animated crew of gunners with them or static model humans (like BoX)? 

Also, I know it hasn't been announced yet but how far ahead do you think you will be able to announce the game engine you are building CP with? 

Looking forward to future progress, cheers, Mysticpuma. 

Hopefully animated to some degree. We have a Mocap system we would like to utilize.

Jason

• Like 6

Wow, impressed by the amount of progress your new team has made in a short period of time.  When texturing and lighting is finalized these models will look great in-game.

Also super excited to see the progress of your capital ships in the future! 

Thanks for the DD- so much to look forward to!

• Like 3

• Entropy.Aero

Hey guys, I'm Carl, one of the modelers Jason mentioned. I'm glad to see that you like the stuff we've made so far, I just wanted to say hello. We'll keep working hard in the modeling department and continue to deliever high quality assets for the sim!

• Like 33

2 minutes ago, Carl said:

Hey guys, I'm Carl, one of the modelers Jason mentioned. I'm glad to see that you like the stuff we've made so far, I just wanted to say hello. We'll keep working hard in the modeling department and continue to deliever high quality assets for the sim!

You are doing a really nice work Carl!

Can't wait to see more!

• Like 7

raised the launching altitude from a mere 50 feet to a whopping 2,400 feet! This new durability also raised the maximum launch speed for the drop from 110 knots to 410 knots which greatly increased aircrew survivability.

I knew in early WW2 the planes had to be low and slow for a successful torpedo drop but I didn’t realize they had to get that slow!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Great work so far, thanks for the hard work and effort. Look forward to seeing more of your endeavours. 

Now, back to work, can't have you spending time chatting with the community when there's model work to be done 😜

Cheers, Mysticpuma 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1