Discussion of Developer Diary #03

Jason_Williams

On 11/5/2023 at 3:37 PM, Rjel said:

I doubt beyond a lot of missing paint on an airplane, that any of it would be seen in flight

Sure, here comes the right use of LOD. The right detail at the right distance. A very very important thing to manage well.

I agree that these visual "quality" features should be in the graphic options list so that anyone can have these selected according to their PC power.

• Like 4

Nice DD!

One question that crossed my mind @Jason_Williams. You mentioned the abysmal performance of the early war torpedoes. Will this be simulated? I.e. if you drop your torpedoes slightly high and/or fast or if they hit the target at an oblique angle, there's a high chance they fail? Perhaps even random duds? Or will they always work, no matter what?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/5/2023 at 3:37 PM, Rjel said:

But, the "dent" would only be visible up close. Same with rust, flaking paint and other assorted wear and tear. I doubt beyond a lot of missing paint on an airplane, that any of it would be seen in flight. Given the limitations of computing power, would each and every other similar object in the game exhibit the same wear and tear? Then you have a world full of clones that would also tend to suspend immersion. IMO. I'd sooner see that type of graphic representation as an option and not a hard wired feature.  

I hope they wont spend time and resources on uneccessary details, nice to have but at what cost, nitpicking is a disease in some things. Rust applies only to ground equipment and 99pc of time is not seen from AC while AC exterior dont rust due to materials used (only white aluminium oxide coating if exposed to salt and after long period of time generally in not eye/maintenance exposed areas)

Beyond models itself i find lightning and colorization looks really great in that AA gun pic with sandbags and grass.

Edited by Ribbon
  • Like 4

Fabulous details!  It's fun to watch how things are created.  Jason, please include snippets of videos showing physics as the 'world' is being developed.  I still remember the IL-2 BOS DD where physics for the tanks starting, stopping, and turning were introduced with short videos -- I look forward to seeing such cool insights with Combat Pilot!  Radial engines coughing to life, heavy planes catching wires to make squirrelly landings on carriers, palm trees swaying in the breeze, waves lapping on the beach... "Bali High, will call you..."   Looking forward to flying through South Pacific.  🙂

srqBones

• Like 3