Discussion of Developer Diary #03

Jason_Williams

11 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

Enjoyed the update. I am definitely looking forward to the first time I land a Wildcat or a Zero on a carrier. :classic_cool:

Wheels

I ´m looking forward more to a B-25 take-off from the aircraft carrier 😎

Edited by Calos_01
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Ha, well before you do that you are going to need a map of Japan and China... :classic_ohmy:

As hard core as I think am when it comes to sim flying I am certain I do not want to fly a 13 hour mission in real time. :pilotfly:

Wheels

• Haha 3

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

4 hours ago, Calos_01 said:

I ´m looking forward more to a B-25 take-off from the aircraft carrier 😎

Got a destination in mind??   😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 11/3/2023 at 7:10 PM, wheelsup_cavu said:

As hard core as I think am when it comes to sim flying I am certain I do not want to fly a 13 hour mission in real time. :pilotfly:

Wheels

What skepticism, I am told there are strange species of virtual pilots who can even enjoy a night flight from Frankfurt to JFK even though there is zero chance of getting shot at. 😁

Edited by Calos_01
  • Like 2

I am impressed at the work at this point and its pace. Time is money so the shorter the dev cycle before some paid release and the better you are financially. If someone can succeed in this challenge of building a new sim and a new talented dev team (example Car) from scratch, and that's Jason. he has an immense experience and so as long as the cash burn rate is compatible with investors I am confident he can succeed.

I am sure he will avoid the typical death trap of game developers, like the one Oleg Maddox fell in with COD.

Long live Combat Pilot.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2023 at 4:11 AM, Jason_Williams said:

We hope you like them and it’s an example of where we are headed stylistically.

For the Wildcat it is difficult to assess at this point. For the bombs the gun and torpedo I would say very appreciated.

We have then to see how it will appear ingame with lighting, shadows, reflections etc. I think we need a little more context around the objects to really appreciate the style. 

The challenge is like always to have surfaces and texture that do not appear too clean. During war material was used in a very rugged way, so it was full of dents, scratches, rust (mainly in tropical very humid region as soon as paint was scratched, or due to aggression of sea water, salt is terrible), bruises etc. It is that kind of realistic aspect that is difficult to render. One important thing is also to have the right 3D appearance of the surface. I mean if you have a dent that this dent is indeed seen as a physical dent in the material and not a "painted" dent on flat surface. This does impact a lot the visual feeling. But with the existing tools of today like Unreal Engine etc. this should be feasible I suppose. A lot of challenges for the team and Carl. Good luck and keep up with the good work.

Edited by IckyAtlas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IckyAtlas said:

The challenge is like always to have surfaces and texture that do not appear too clean. During war material was used in a very rugged way, so it was full of dents, scratches, rust (mainly in tropical very humid region as soon as paint was scratched, or due to aggression of sea water, salt is terrible), bruises etc. It is that kind of realistic aspect that is difficult to render. One important thing is also to have the right 3D appearance of the surface. I mean if you have a dent that this dent is indeed seen as a physical dent in the material and not a "painted" dent on flat surface. This does impact a lot the visual feeling. But with the existing tools of today like Unreal Engine etc. this should be feasible I suppose. A lot of challenges for the team and Carl. Good luck and keep up with the good work.

But, the "dent" would only be visible up close. Same with rust, flaking paint and other assorted wear and tear. I doubt beyond a lot of missing paint on an airplane, that any of it would be seen in flight. Given the limitations of computing power, would each and every other similar object in the game exhibit the same wear and tear? Then you have a world full of clones that would also tend to suspend immersion. IMO. I'd sooner see that type of graphic representation as an option and not a hard wired feature.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rjel said:

But, the "dent" would only be visible up close. Same with rust, flaking paint and other assorted wear and tear. I doubt beyond a lot of missing paint on an airplane, that any of it would be seen in flight. Given the limitations of computing power, would each and every other similar object in the game exhibit the same wear and tear? Then you have a world full of clones that would also tend to suspend immersion. IMO. I'd sooner see that type of graphic representation as an option and not a hard wired feature.  

I believe this is where PBR graphics will come to the forefront 🙂

• Like 2