European Air War (EAW)

Spent many an hour flying this sim before I transitioned to Pacific Fighters and then to IL-2 1946.

https://youtu.be/Eu1p-DIQIZA?si=CO7MPwgBKCIqxpdx

It still has a fairly active community at SimHQ too.

EAW forum @ SimHQ: https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/85/1/european-air-war

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/85/1/european-air-war

Wheels

• Like 7

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 5 months later...

Always impressed me what these older games were able to do with 90s era computers.. Lots of things that modern sims have forgotten! Big maps and grand battles, pilot careers and dynamic campaigns. They knew how to make up for deficiencies in things like graphics, complex flight, and damage models to still provide an immensely immersive experience.

Hopefully one day we see a return to form of quality flight sims that also manage to be fun GAMES.

• Like 2

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

3 minutes ago, MustangMike said:

Always impressed me what these older games were able to do with 90s era computers.. Lots of things that modern sims have forgotten!

This applies to video games as a whole. It seems that games, in general, have gotten shorter in terms of hours of gameplay, and we see fewer unique mechanics and gameplay options. When 3D accelerators became common, it seems that the focus shifted from game design to looking at pretty graphics. Less willingness to take risks; rinse and repeat the same high-selling games repeatedly (Call of Duty comes to mind). At least, this is my opinion based on my playing video games and flight sims since the late 80's. 

• Like 1

I hope there is a shift away from the formula that we have seen for the last 10-15 years in combat flight sims. I’m tired of the drip feed of maps and aeroplanes with real gameplay features left on the never-never list of things that the developers think would be “nice to have”.  I’ve been through all that and don’t want to spend a cent on a title like that ever again. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I hope there is a shift away from the formula that we have seen for the last 10-15 years in combat flight sims. I’m tired of the drip feed of maps and aeroplanes with real gameplay features left on the never-never list of things that the developers think would be “nice to have”.  I’ve been through all that and don’t want to spend a cent on a title like that ever again. 

I have bad news for you.  This is going to be a combat flight sim.  They probably won’t get around to adding gliders and transports until they’ve completed a few modules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1