Drop Tanks?

Knowing there's a possibility the maps could be huge (a lot of ocean), will drop tanks be considered? Or will it be too difficult to make? ...or maybe it'll just be pointless to have in the game?

I was really hoping to see it in BoX but unfortunately, it was cancelled.. 😕

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

Did any of the fighters launched off of either sides carriers use drop tanks during the actual Battle of Midway?

Wheels

Not 100% if they were used during the actual battle but Wildcats and Zeros both are capable of using them.  I'd much rather this sim have them from the outset than take the, "we'll add them later..." approach and then later never comes like what has happened with Great Battles ...

• Like 4

P51 resized.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

5 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

Wildcats and Zeros both are capable of using them

I did remember that they were capable but I just never read any reports or found any website that mentioned that any of the Carrier aircraft actually utilized them during the battle. Same goes for those aircraft that were based on Midway Island. 102.gif.da3279a64d7beb8da7b4d01a3972084a.gif

5 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

I'd much rather this sim have them from the outset

Totally agree. :classic_cool:

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
  • Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

The first F4F external tank was a 'bathtub' shaped 42 gallon centerline tank introduced around (May 1942?), but apparently not used in combat until the Guadalcanal campaign. The standard 58 gal underwing drop tanks were introdudced as field modification from late summer 1942.

Edited by Trooper117
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CountZero said:

i dont see rason why they would need them for Midway, they better focus on just basic things at start and get some product out, add extra stuff later

Oh yes, of course. I'm not expecting them to add a lot on day 1, but I was wondering if it'll be considered later on down the road.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 6:12 PM, DBFlyguy said:

I'd much rather this sim have them from the outset than take the, "we'll add them later..." approach and then later never comes like what has happened with Great Battles ...

I feel adding Drop Tanks in this game will be a personal goal for Jason and one of the most important things to have upon release.

• Like 2

Drop tanks are crucial.

The Type O Zero used them from the getgo, over China, at Pearl Harbour, the Philippines and the Dutch East Indies.
Both the Ki-27 and the Ki-43 were equipped with such for the start of the Malaya operation.

And of course the Allies used them extensively over New Guinea with the P-39, P-40, P-47 and P-38 all carrying them.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...