Posted May 4th by Jason on Discord - small update

@everyone Happy first weekend of May everyone! A quick note while our official DDs are on a short hiatus. I'm happy to report that our F4F-4 External Mesh (minus cockpit) and base textures have passed internal inspection and considered ready. She'll be live at  FS Expo in June. Also, our little skin crew is now working her up to look even more realistic. This USN and USMC fighter was built by a legit real life Devil Dog taking his modeling skills even higher. Semper Fi.

The Zeke is not far behind. Enjoy!

Screenshot_20240505_091050_Discord.thumb.jpg.a909b47d3b5c1e7a9108c9018854b372.jpg

Screenshot_20240505_091037_Discord.thumb.jpg.0e2a76a2f0eda1220ef29208ca0feb03.jpg

Screenshot_20240505_091023_Discord.thumb.jpg.c54de2663f099a9e4b86b085f46abdc8.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

oh my, that looks great! 

• Like 3

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

With UE5 being the selected engine no doubt it will look amazing, as the screenshots already show. Very good work from the modellers as well.

Can't wait to see how the tracers look, the impact on other planes, and if UE5 can support a good visual damage like we have in IL-2.

• Like 3

Yeah, all the stuff that UE5 offers by default isn't going to be an issue (other than still requiring work of course). The question is whether the engine will provide certain limitations.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aapje said:

The question is whether the engine will provide certain limitations.

The engine will provide certain limitations, this is true regardless of the engine, they could build their own from the ground up and there would still be limitations. You either design your own engine, or license the engine that aligns closest to your design goals. You then do your game design to work around those limitations. 

• Like 2

My understanding is UE can be broadly modified/customized. In this instance for fluid dynamics, physics, air combat, and damage modelling. So, beside off the shelf plug-ins, a skilled team can tailor the engine to it's/our needs. Is this not the case?

Fett

• Like 2

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

4 hours ago, Boba Fett said:

So, beside off the shelf plug-ins, a skilled team can tailor the engine to it's/our needs. Is this not the case?

A skilled team can do a lot, but every single game engine has some underlying elements that cannot be changed. They can be worked around to some extent, but there are also some of the engine's underlying fundamentals that cannot be changed or worked around. 

In this case, I am not worried about it. I have confidence that the Combat Pilot team has analyzed the available engines and picked the one that best aligns with their vision for the game. 

• Like 2