Discussion of Developer Diary #07

:classic_love:

I knew!
Since the first object renders, i knew it was UE, there is no way otherwise to render this amount of tri's without Nanite, then i was totally convinced by the amount of details of the Hangar.
Good choice going with UE i'd say :salute:

• Like 6

Looking forward to trying the prototype. This Lvl of detail is something I've really missed from IL2, especially on airfields. I hope they populate the carriers with some crew, even if they are just decorative and non functional.

Does UE have an out of the box VR mode? I'd assume they would but not sure how much work it needs to implement here.

• Like 8

My 3080 is looking for any reason to jump in and replace my daughters 2080. Looks like this will finally be the reason, besides Task Force Admiral there isn't any other games i'm looking forward too.

Beautiful work.

• Like 4

1427770719.jpg

2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Does UE have an out of the box VR mode? I'd assume they would but not sure how much work it needs to implement here.

Yes, you just enable the plugin:

https://dev.epicgames.com/documentation/en-us/unreal-engine/oculus-prerequisites-in-unreal-engine?application_version=5.0

One of the big advantages of using UE is that you get this stuff for free. And it's the new OpenXR as well, so no more OpenComposite to trick the application into thinking it is talking to SteamVR.

• Like 7

Great videos. Your narration has really improved Jason. I'm looking forward to watching this sim develop! Best of luck!!

After re-reading the portion about your needs and whats of some skilled skinners to help create skins for showcasing Combat Pilot, I realized I'm not of that caliber of artist but thankfully this community is loaded with talent in that regard. All the same, I cannot wait to tackle some PTO skins when this sim goes live.

Edited by Rjel
  • Like 4

Fantastic I'd be happy just using  a drone camera view to explore the carriers! Will definitely be getting the experimental prototype as soon as its available.

I have heaps of questions such as will vr be available on release of the experimental prototype but will wait for your future updates

• Like 3

À @Jason_Williams

Hello Jason

This latest DD07 is very exciting. This is great news and you are doing a fantastic job with your team.

I will be happy to participate in the creation of skins.

I am a lover of aviation history and already have several years of experience creating skins for planes, buildings and vehicles.

[Spitfire MK IXc] MPG skins Factory: RAF Blanks skins V2 - Spitfire 602 Sqn Clostermann spring 1944 , New: Free French Blanks skins - 4K Skins and Templates - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum (il2sturmovik.com)

[MPG_Skins Factory] P-47D28 9th Air Force Normandy - 48th Fighter Group, 487FS "The King" - 4K Skins and Templates - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum (il2sturmovik.com)

[MPG_Skins Factory] Mustang Blanks Skins for "Overlord Campaign" on the way. Skins P-51B5 Available. Skins P-51D15 Available - 4K Skins and Templates - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum (il2sturmovik.com)

[P47-D22] MPG Skins Factory: Blank skins for P47-D22- Normandy campaign. - 4K Skins and Templates - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum (il2sturmovik.com)

I have important documentation on the Battle of the Pacific at home, the historical context, the planes, the ships.

For the skins, I work with GIMP.

Hoping to actively participate in this great adventure.

I'm sorry my English is not very good

Edited by MarcoPegase44
  • Like 9

This is looking great! I even love the box art, with the sunny and blue Pacific ocean tones.

I am also pumped to see what UE5 has to offer for simulators. Lately EPIC has been promoting the engine among both professional and 'gaming' simulation sectors and it seems it is being adopted (the most known and public project is the NOR platform). It will also allow for modern visual techniques and optimisation, hopefully the needed modification to UE5 to adapt it for a public simulator will not be a pain for the devs.

• Like 3

Thanks for showing the effords needed to achieve this new sim. 
I cannot believe it's a year ago I got exited about this new sim and here we are.
I do wish you and the team fair winds and following seas and I want to thank you all for this wonderful preview.

Good luck...

• Like 3

It feels so f... unreal you are using the unreal engine :)) i allways dreamed about it, and know it is becoming real.
I am so excided about combat pilot and was so much hoping for a long time one day a pacific combat sim would be made in this engine. We are allmost there. If this fails it will be a shame for us combat simmers and i would be very sad.
This is so much looking good and promesing!!! Please lets all help this to come true. Thank you TEAM and Jason for trying it come true and i wish you/ us the best for this to succes.

• Like 3