1CGS (IL2 GB) Plans PTO

From the 1CGS/IL2 GB developer's podcast (which was only in Russian), there came a few interesting points according to Flying_Anchor, and as noted by Stormbirds:

80-100 AI planes in a scene; 
   DirectX 12, PBR textures; 

the visuals are better than in DCS;
   increasing of minimum systems requirements (6 VRAM at least);
   new AI logic;

better damage model;
   more radio chats;
   communications with ground radars (bearings, home vector, etc);

they will support GB, specifically Odessa and Karelia theatres;
   they'd like to push Pacific theme despite Jason makes his own product.

Apparently the project, which includes a new game engine, is about 30% complete. If they are planning PTO, I think more competition makes a better product for players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feldgrün said:

<snip>

they will support GB, specifically Odessa and Karelia theatres;
   they'd like to push Pacific theme despite Jason makes his own product.

Apparently the project, which includes a new game engine, is about 30% complete. If they are planning PTO, I think more competition makes a better product for players. 

rather ambitious on their part, with all they've put on their plate, but I wish them well nonetheless...

Edited by javelina
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

People been asking these questions for how many months now, and the english speaking community has to hear it second-hand from some Russian podcast? No other announcements? Come on guys, I know you can do PR better than that...

Good to know GB will be backwards compatible at least I suppose.

• Like 3

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

On 3/17/2024 at 5:22 AM, Trooper117 said:

We will see... by the time they decide to focus on the Pacific, we might not be around to see it...  💣💥

ILx2 was definitely my favorite airplane game of the late 2010s, but then other things started happening in flight sim that made it feel very dated to me.  I guess I also personally drifted away from the “survey sim” style, and prefer more depth.  It’s good that they’re putting in the effort to modernize, but while they’re doing that, it’s not like other flight sims are sitting on their butts.  If it’s 30% complete now, for Korea initially, and then maybe PTO after that, we are looking at many years.  By the time it comes to fruition, not only might there be Combat Pilot, but DCS will likely have made inroads into the PTO, as well.  

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 4

Thing is, it sounds like they will be porting a lot of content over from previous versions which will inherently mean a huge amount of work. With Combat Pilot, it's being built (effectively) from scratch, so any of the latest tech. can be used natively without having to revise anything.

Personally, I am really looking forward to this....I cross my fingers for a flyable B-25 one day with Ai that can cope with it too 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

it sounds like they will be porting a lot of content over from previous versions which will inherently mean a huge amount of work.

I don't see it like that... as usual, it was left a little ambiguous... to me, he was alluding to the idea it would be too much work to do that.

Why would they say that work would continue for certain areas of GB, when that would mean redoing that work again to port over to the new game engine in the future... porting over GB's aircraft alone would take many years of work... and that wouldn't mean their whole team would be working on porting over GB content either, as the majority would be working on their new project content.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I don't see it like that... as usual, it was left a little ambiguous... to me, he was alluding to the idea it would be too much work to do that.

Why would they say that work would continue for certain areas of GB, when that would mean redoing that work again to port over to the new game engine in the future... porting over GB's aircraft alone would take many years of work... and that wouldn't mean their whole team would be working on porting over GB content either, as the majority would be working on their new project content.

How do you read it? 

(Not being antagonistic), do you think they will continue with GB but build something new at the same time or do you see them starting their own new engine...... or maybe Cherry picking a few aircraft to convert and import... or even maps? 

I know there is a lot of speculation but do you see them ending GB and going all in on the project? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

I know there is a lot of speculation but do you see them ending GB and going all in on the project? 

For me, I see them continuing to draw income from GB until the new project is formally introduced... then they will put all effort into the new format, otherwise they will have people working on the GB project, that has to all intents and purposes stopped...

That's how I see it... I may be wrong, but with the smokes and mirrors, the ambiguity, the never saying exactly what their intentions are after all this time, is forcing their fan base to draw their own conclusions.

It may be that they fear if they say outright, GB ends and will not be part of the next project, the fan base will say, ''sod it, no point in buying anything for GB then, and we all leave in droves... but I don't think the majority think like that. There is still a lot of playtime left in GB and the fan base will stick with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer for the full announcement. I thought they said Spring a while back, so hoping within the next couple months we get the official announcement. 

Agreed, having to dig for table scraps of info in another language is a little bit troublesome right now. 

I think most of that Odessa work is being done by a third party, I think they said only 10% of their team is working on BoX right now, and 90% on the new project. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 5:13 PM, Mysticpuma said:

How do you read it?  

Hi Mystic. I think Trooper has it exactly right.

They’ve expanded their team and whilst they’re working to produce a whole new project based broadly on a development of the engine they’ve already got, they have the capacity to produce limited content for the GB series.

I think they’ve learnt from RoF that even though the product might be perfectly adequate, once you stop active development the customer base tends to walk away.

The kind of twin track approach they have at the moment keeps their community engaged whilst the major effort goes into the big new thing.

I also think the term ‘ported over’ is really rather meaningless as far as developers are concerned. It’s a term used by people who really have no idea what development involves - I include myself in this category!  - and implies some sort of easy copy/paste process into a new format.

I can’t recall anything to do with any flight sim where this has actually happened and I don’t see anywhere in the 1CGS dev blog where they say they are trying to do this. Quite the reverse in fact.

As to them producing a Pacific based expansion in their new product; whilst I have no doubt it’s an ambition, it seems that this is several years off yet.

Although Jason’s team and resources here might be smaller, it seems obvious to me that we’ll be getting our feet wet with Combat Pilot a lot, lot earlier than with the 1CGS effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the longer time it takes for the next module that uses the new engine, the airplane modelers have extra time on their hands, so making collector airplanes keeps these people from leaving for greener pastures as well. So it's not just to keep us busy with the game, but also the modelers.

Hopefully we will get the two third party maps in a reasonable time frame as well. That could provide a lot of fun content for IL-2 GB.

As for content being ported over, my expectation is that they will first do some other theaters, before returning to Europe. Putting out something similar to what they did before is not the best way to get a lot of press and attention.

And I would personally keep my hopes in check a bit for Combat Pilot. With it being fully new, it is easy to project all our hopes and wishes on it, but building everything from scratch is a big effort. I would not be surprised if we get the new IL-2 engine before CP, or CP gets released as early access first, but with a lot still missing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they are now just a little worried about how good this PTO version is going to be... because they will have to match it or better it when they eventually do their version.

Probably just a knee jerk reaction...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

It appears we can't post news updates over at BoX anymore 🙄

Screenshot_20240409_011726_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ec57701135bd1fc2372f52a4857992f1.jpg

In all fairness to Luke (and I know plenty of us have had run ins with him lately) and I don’t think he’s saying what you appear to think he’s saying.

There’s no problem posting links or pictures or having a discussion; you’ll notice there’s a long time thread about DCS and MSFS over there too.

However, if you simply copy/paste the complete news release onto their forum then it’s gonna’ get taken down. This does not sound completely unreasonable.

Mystic, if you really want to see how unreasonable works, try something similar on the DCS forum😆

• Like 1