Discussion of Developer Diary #06

Now that looks great!

On 2/9/2024 at 4:53 AM, Jason_Williams said:

The exact color of the early Zero, in particular, can be a controversial topic we know.

You mean the ash-grey-greenish-light-brown tint that comes across as white in b&w photos? We definitely need a trench war thread about object colors. I'll start the feud here:

a6mcolor1.jpg

I can do Japanese as well chief, especially all the way to the bank! 😆

It is from here, with a translation, for our convenience. But of course, there are even more findings. That Tamiya would be so uninspired as going for "light-grey" is almost offensive. Every military producer knows that his items are nothing but a challenge to future modellers. There has to be some sort of sadistic nuance in coloration. But as mentioned, there are people who tackle those more important things in life. Talking Japanese aircraft colors, I can't leave out this, of course:

Shyunsui@@31Januar2013017.jpg.2b4778ea340d6a221ac62758d3b1293e.jpg

Just sayin'. 😁

I just love discussions about orphan colors. It's like a discussion about cooking when only focussing on the final result and never bothering about the actual recipe.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When you don’t understand how anything works, everything is a miracle or a conspiracy.

18 hours ago, CPT Crunch said:

What a jolt it would be to lift up out of the light and serene hanger bay to be greeted with a dark windy raining pitching and moody deck with brilliant flashes of lightning and turbulent seas scaring the living carp out of us. 

That's exactly what I envisage for the future.

I'm hoping to be able to do this in a Dauntless at some point. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 7:56 PM, Mission_bug said:

The detailing is excellent, sad you mention not all of it will necessarily make it into the sim

Combat pilot may not be the only simulator under development. They may consider Hangar mechanic as well.🤔 But since the audience will be a little different, they might want to add some custom bodykits and glitter paint.

image.thumb.png.7f239baff3eda1703a1324d868b52f2f.png

• Haha 3

Excellent work!

Although I know the paint colors can be an issue, I look forward to seeing what magic the "skinners" can produce.

I assume that "skins" will be made available to players at the initial release of the game? Maybe just prior to release?

image.thumb.jpeg.9ad46c48e3b09908aa7f4b6ea0c6d1e5.jpeg

Edited by FeldgrĂźn
  • Like 2

Great progress. Is it too late to check the shape of the Zeroes cowling?  It looks like it has been modelled with a smooth circular profile, rather like a tube. If I recall the actual cowling is taller than it is wide and tapers upward slightly towards the back. 

• Like 3

Outstanding DD!!

The team made a HUGE progress!

Great pix on the carriers, ac and for sure  ..........DROP TANKS!!!!

I can imagine another thing in the future.

Bailing out over water and see some life rafts in the waves of the seas.

And really nice animated pilots and crew members.!!😁😉

Thank you and keep up with these surprising DD´s.

S!

Edited by LcSummers
  • Like 4

I was in awe at the carrier hangars. We can imagine them filled with planes, bomb racks etc.

It is a long long time we hoped this was coming one day.

The guns have an excellent metal surface finishing look. The quality of detail is also excellent.

The planes are looking great. Very clean for now. They will need some weathering, oil and smoke traces but the base is looking fantastic.

Keep us drooling!

P.S.

For improving cash for the development two proposals:

1) Why not once you have some polished nice flying demos, do a pre-early access round. This is a round where you buy your right to a premium early access (early-access with some goodies) but you do not get yet an early version of the game to play with.

2) Have a kind of Patreon system with some privileges like game meetings with devs or Jason for Patreon only or stuff like that.

Edited by IckyAtlas
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, kissTheSky said:

Speaking of cash flow, I’m sure this to be an unpopular opinion, but wouldn’t be opposed to a subscription model a la iRacing. 

id rather pay an outrageous price to own it forever then a subscription model.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Make it subscription and I'm out.

I find it funny that people are so quick to dismiss subscription models. I will admit that my first reaction is the traditional, "I'd like to pay up front to own it", but especially in these days of digital downloads, it's not like you're buying physical media, nice thick user manuals and a cardboard box to keep it in.

People balk at the idea of paying a subscription fee of $5/month, but how many (of us) shell out $60-70/year on the next iteration of our chosen franchise sports/flight/strategy game? As long as the subscription model entitles the subscriber to enjoy the very latest build of whatever version of the product is available at that time, then actually, paying $10/month might be attractive. It provides a smoother cash-flow for developers and incentives for everyone to remain engaged with the product.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for or against a subscription model for Combat Pilot; there's a lot of water to flow under the Big E's hull before anyone starts thinking about how to sell it, I'm sure! And let's not forget that subscription models require different infrastructure to maintain than a more traditional model of direct sales (or sales through community hubs like Steam). I just find it an interesting subject and a (good) challenge to my traditional mindset!

• Thanks 2

Just as with the previous sim we all know well, I was all in with each early access opportunity. Never missed once. At least until the big changes over the last year or so. But that was then and this is now. Depending on what comes in the future over there I might still jump on board. But here, I’d much prefer the chance to invest again in this new venture given the chance as opposed to a subscription. Considering all we’ve seen so far, along with the leadership we’ve long known, I’d be confident plunking down cash for an early access to Combat Pilot. It was what made the other sim so special to my mind.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StoneChain said:

I find it funny that people are so quick to dismiss subscription models. I will admit that my first reaction is the traditional, "I'd like to pay up front to own it", but especially in these days of digital downloads, it's not like you're buying physical media, nice thick user manuals and a cardboard box to keep it in.

People balk at the idea of paying a subscription fee of $5/month, but how many (of us) shell out $60-70/year on the next iteration of our chosen franchise sports/flight/strategy game? As long as the subscription model entitles the subscriber to enjoy the very latest build of whatever version of the product is available at that time, then actually, paying $10/month might be attractive. It provides a smoother cash-flow for developers and incentives for everyone to remain engaged with the product.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for or against a subscription model for Combat Pilot; there's a lot of water to flow under the Big E's hull before anyone starts thinking about how to sell it, I'm sure! And let's not forget that subscription models require different infrastructure to maintain than a more traditional model of direct sales (or sales through community hubs like Steam). I just find it an interesting subject and a (good) challenge to my traditional mindset!

I have enough monthly bills/subscriptions, thanks. Digital download is neither here nor there frankly - it’s been like that for a long time now.
A few dollars here, a few there…one can go broke. Add $10 month up for a few years, that’s quite a sum. What amount of content should I expect over 2 years for that much money? 

Enough of us already hate Adobe.

That said I don’t see a problem with an option to subscribe…whatever that looks like. Maybe simply as an “above and beyond” financial support option with no expectation of extra content.
Maybe some swag every year, like a T-shirt. 🙂

Otherwise I can’t imagine what would have to offered to make it worth the cost for most users. 

• Like 1

I knew it 🤣.

Pretty much what @StoneChain said. Consider this, if the developer’s work is not up to scratch, or they mess something up with a game update, what kind of a motivation are they going to have in fixing what they broke with subscription model vs one time fee

- subscription where they can stand to lose a lot, compared to

- when they’ve already gotten your money and don’t care about appealing to you until they gave something more to sell you?

Like I said, I wouldn’t be opposed to it. 

Edited by kissTheSky
  • Confused 1

Jason is creative, and has room to provide options if he so wishes. 
I know that he’s not going to hit us with a forced subscription though - so I’m not even a little bit concerned. 🙂

I’m far more interested in watching the product come together. 🙂

• Like 2

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions

We’re not doing a subscription only model. If you just want to send us money, we can give you the opportunity. My bank account accepts large wires. Anything we possibly do would be voluntary.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Completely Off Topic but your post count instantly took me back to the 1970's @Jason_Williams.

off_topic.thumb.jpg.ebd15b2fa4b064df0af8966140abc689.jpg

Here's where spoiler tags would be nice... Anywho, Karen Valentine and the TV sitcom Room 222 .

Room 222 @ IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063948/

Wheels

• Like 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.