Reverb G2

Well shucks, my V2 power cable went Tango Uniform on me.  Tried all the troubleshooting steps, cycled through all of my USB ports... Nada...  removed, uninstalled, etc..  No joy

Fortunately, I acquired the V2 cable back when my G2 was still under warranty.  I made a support call a long while back, and HP sent me the V2.  So I always kept my V1.   The headset is working fine again with the V1, but for how long...

My upgrade roadmap plan is to get a new rig first.  Was planning towards the end of year.  Was eyeballing a 13900K.  Then ride the G2 until a new and promising headset for later in 2024. 

Since the V1 doesn't have that nice on/off button, I'll just have to ensure I unplug its power when not flying. 

My current rig setup:

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Indeed, no complaints about the headset itself. It is great.  Unfortunately, the weakest link are these doggone cables. 

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I am, knock on wood, still on the v1 cable. I did get a hand me down v2 cable from a member on another forum, but haven’t swapped it yet. My issue is with the face plate. The fabric on foam has started coming off the seem of plastic part. 

FWIW, I’ve had the G2 on its dedicated power strip that has an On/Off (reset) switch and just power off the power strip itself after each use. Just a convenience. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

@Raptor82  I had the same impression when I got my G2.  I hope it lasts for a long time, since upgrading to a better headset will be expensive and I am waiting to see how the overall VR universe shakes out.  When someone produces a headset that has an image as clear and detailed as a 4K monitor and does not require lighthouses...

• Like 1

This VR thingie is a whole new world to me.

Up to now I've been more than happy using TrackIR 5 in my sims, which gives an excellent lifelike look around ability without flicking switches on the joystick.
What makes VR the seemingly 'go to' these days?

• Like 1

Assuming you have a computer that can support it, VR is much more immersive. It feels like you are in the cockpit versus staring at a flat screen. Properly set up in VR everything appears life-size and fully 3D you feel like you can reach out and touch everything. Really hard to explain almost something one needs to experience to fully understand.

That said I am not sure I would say it is the go-to these days, VR is a niche market, and although it is a growing market that growth has been slow but steady. Judging by what little data is publicly available one would estimate that roughly 3-5% of the PC gaming market owns a VR headset. Possible that the sim space has a slightly higher uptake but I have never seen actual data to support that theory. 

• Like 1

I simply can't afford VR but don't really feel a desire to own one really.

Yes, I like the idea of 'being inside the cockpit', but not being able to operate the keyboard and toggle switches on my warthog system because I can't see them puts me off anyway.

Once the flying begins, my TrackIR soon has me forgetting I'm in my man cave in front of a computer and monitor... :cheers:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Yes, I like the idea of 'being inside the cockpit', but not being able to operate the keyboard and toggle switches on my warthog system because I can't see them puts me off anyway.

It very quickly becomes muscle memory, you make sure you bind the buttons to similar functions across planes and after a very short time, you do not need to see the buttons. A button box or 2 to get rid of the need for the keyboard and you are golden personally I use the Winwing MIP for this. 

Cost is absolutely an issue for many people, other people just do not get along with VR, they get sick from it, or just do not like it for whatever reason. There are definitely trade-offs and is an individual preference.  I always recommend trying VR if possible before investing in it. 

• Like 3

I'm still not ready for VR until it becomes near plug and play and doesn't require vast tweaks to try and get a good frame rate and sharp visuals. 

The last time I flew VR was in an Oculus DK2 in DCS, the experience was amazing and I still have fond memories. The feeling of actually sitting in a cockpit is something that has to be experienced. 

However the downside for me (at a realistic price range) is the sharpness of the distant aircraft and spotting. I get the feeling of being 8n the cockpit, but I have yet to read (without lots of tweaking) of a near plug and play experience that is acceptable to view and near equal to a computer monitor. 

My next build will be a high end one and I expect to be with the next gen 5090GTX (I know, not out yet) but it's likely to be a £5k build. 

My current build still runs Clod and BoX 4K in Track IR5 and that was based around a 1070GTX and an i6700k and was built in 2016.

VR for me is something I really look forward to but I am waiting for that sharp headset that needs little tweaking and at least looks like a quality 1080P per eye with great spotting. 

Still not in a rush, just for me, VR isn't at the point I would take a big hit, even the Pimax Crystal I hear is very good but not quite there yet? 

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 1

I agree with Kestrel, Now that I have a computer that can run it and i have it dialed in.  I cant go back the absolute immersive feel of having the cockpit around me, the feeling of the plane and being able to land it with a precision that i have never known on a monitor is a game changer.    Now that being said it does take a monster of a computer to run in  I have an I5 1200k as well as a 4080 in my computer and it put its through its paces.  But the visuals i have found are fantastic and my Situational Awarness is better.

Also get XR Neck Safer  trust me your neck muscles will thank you 

• Like 2

I still feel like VR is not ready yet

The cable issue on the reverb g2 is just unacceptable on a product of that price

And the new headsets are too expensive and their capabilities is all over the place

For VR to have a real future

Their needs to be a new Reverb G2 type model released
That has decent capabilities but is cheap enough to be widespread and easy to access

The PlayStation VR could be a massive winner
But Sony seems to be subsidizing the cost hence locking it to their platform

But if Sony released the same model but allowed it to be run on PC that would really get VR going

The only advantage PSVR has is that game developers have a single platform with a single hardware spec to program and optimize for. If they released it for PC this advantage would be lost. It is only plug-and-play on the PS5 because it is a closed environment. Specs for the headset also fail to stand out, in fact, the PSVR rolls in spec-wise roughly comparable to the Quest 3 at a higher price point. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll chime in, and agree with those who say that if you have the hardware to run it, even a Reverb G2 (what I have), a decent, reasonably priced headset will blow you away.  I can't go back to non-VR.  Being fully surrounded by everything, life-sized, wherever you look - there's just no comparison.  I'd describe it as the difference between looking at a printed photo of a scene versus standing in the same scene in real life.  There's no going back.  And yes, I still use all of my USB/HOTAS controllers.  Muscle memory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I appreciate the interesting pro/con comments regarding VR vs TrackIR. I am working on gathering parts for a new machine, so I think VR will have to wait awhile. That said, my first move, after the new machine is operating, will be a curved monitor around 32-34" size, along with whatevwr the current TrackIR version is. This will be a huge improvement over what I'm running now! Until then, I look forward to CP, whatever the initial release looks like. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new rig now, 7950X3D with a 4090. Still run it on my 1440p GSync Monitor and for the time being enjoying the butter smooth simming (TrackIR) with everything maxed out and the GPU basically on idle. Now I still can‘t decide on a VR kit, as they all seem to have problems such to make the sim running more of a hobby than actually simming. There have been tons of suggestions, but is there something that is not yet depreciated and actually works out of the box? And lets you read the instruments in the cockpit? I can sum up every single test on a VR headset by „it‘s fantastic but it doesn‘t really work“. So I‘m not asking for „the best“ but something that reliably works for flight sims. Also, I have no idea if it makes me VR sick or not, never really gave it a try. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

I have a new rig now, 7950X3D with a 4090. Still run it on my 1440p GSync Monitor and for the time being enjoying the butter smooth simming (TrackIR) with everything maxed out and the GPU basically on idle. Now I still can‘t decide on a VR kit, as they all seem to have problems such to make the sim running more of a hobby than actually simming. There have been tons of suggestions, but is there something that is not yet depreciated and actually works out of the box? And lets you read the instruments in the cockpit? I can sum up every single test on a VR headset by „it‘s fantastic but it doesn‘t really work“. So I‘m not asking for „the best“ but something that reliably works for flight sims. Also, I have no idea if it makes me VR sick or not, never really gave it a try. 

If you're dipping your toe, maybe the Quest 3?  Doesn't require a large outlay of cash, graphics are really good.  I have one, though I don't use it for flight sims, (I have an Aero for that).  I use the Quest on my 9700K/3090 secondary rig.  Works like a champ.  Just a thought...

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Now I still can‘t decide on a VR kit, as they all seem to have problems such to make the sim running more of a hobby than actually simming.

VR does require more setup and tweaking than a flat screen. How readable the panels will be 100% depends on your system. With your specs, You should be able to get a Quest 2 or 3 and be able to easily read the instrument panels. My system is 1 step down from yours and 99% of panels are easily readable in a Quest 2. You might have to, depending on the game, lower some graphics settings, and do some setup work, but once done you should not have to touch it for some time.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, javelina said:

If you're dipping your toe, maybe the Quest 3?

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Does the Quest work well with the USB connection?

I do have a fast WiFi on my mainboard that I don‘t use, as I have LAN for all my non-mobile devices as I have gigabit fiber connection and I prefer retaining both speed an latency. But I can also smell trouble for activating both LAN and WiFi, given for instance the onboard Bluetooth on that expensive ASUS X760E-E is already so bad, the only way to have reliable connection is using a cheap external dongle for it. But same was with a $1000 Intel board from ASUS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1