PTO Book Collection

CP_Admin

I highly recommend all most all of the previously mentioned books especially authors Franks, Lundstrom, Claringbould and the volumes by Ikuhiko Hata andYasuho Izawa. Eric Hammel's fine collection of oral histories from WW2 pilots as well. Here's a couple that deal exclusively with Japanese aircraft history that may be helpful for the devs:

Wings of the Rising Sun by Jurgen P. Melzer

Sunburst: The rise of Japanese Naval Air Power 1909 - 1941.

As Far as informative videos go Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles on Youtube has some outstanding vids on WW2 aircraft including an set on the Ki-84 that's impressive. I would go so far as to recommend the devs reach out to him as he has many archived tech documents procured by him over the years that would probably prove very useful.

Jim Parshall has done some great vids with the guys at Unauthorized History of the Pacific War as well.

And hypohystericalhistory has some outstanding vids on the Australian efforts in New Guinea including a great one on the Battle of the Bismarck sea for you twin engine bomber pilots.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With all of the excellent material out there, I was surprised at how good this little pocket/primer book was. Introduced the PTO to my kid and a couple of co-workers who have talked with me about flight simming/WWII aviation with it. Originally picked it up for a short haul flight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1846035015/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51u4OeC+uxL._SX532_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

Just finished reading Race Of Aces. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

It's a multi-dimensional analysis of people, command, leadership and the out and out search for glory. And the cost, it was prohibitive.
The author John R. Bruning spent years researching the subject characters. And it shows. 

5 stars from me.

Race.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 10:34 PM, Boom said:

Anyone who has a hankering to know what it was like to fly low level strike missions over the jungles of New Guinea should read this book. Raw and gritty.

Air Combat_.jpg

I agree. You don’t just read this book, you are in the plane with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:46 PM, CP_Admin said:

Dear Pilots,

Here are the books we have in our collection that pertain to the PTO. If you know of more that would be helpful to our cause please share or feel free to contact us.

The Combat Pilot Team

[List Goes Here]

Do you have any books Jason 🤔👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are two books below with incredible amounts of data. They are extremely valuable for their technical information and 1st person history of relevant aircraft. The first is Report of Joint Fighter Conference: 1944. This was part of an ongoing effort to refine fighter aircraft, and saw a broad range of pilots and engineers fly everything we had, including a captured ZERO. 

The 2nd book is America's Hundred Thousand. This book details the productions of the United State's production of over 100,000 fighter aircraft in WWII. This book contains highly detailed performance specifications. 

(Neither of these links contains any kind of affiliate information and I do not profit from their use. Just posting these for reference value)

Edited by Major Lee
Clarity for links.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

"Kearby's Thunderbolts: the 348th Fighter Group in WWII". 

This is from Schiffer Military History, an excellent look at the 348thFG in the PTO. Highly detailed with numerous photos and several color art plates. Tables of data include lists of commanders and aircraft, list of casualties, and a list of ALL aerial kills. There is a seperate section in the back featuring aircraft nose art, various aircraft pictures, and a complete index. The 348th FG flew both the P47 and late the P51. Well worth the cost for this book. 

20240411_102458.jpg

20240411_153947.jpg

20240411_154038.jpg

20240411_154101.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post a few books from my collection that deal with a very forgotten Theatre. Burma and the CBI.
They really illustrate the wide variety of activities that a pilot could undertake in Theatre. Activities that were on a par in importance with fighters and bombers, which in most other Theatre's held precedence.

Oh, and I should add, I think they are all great reads. :classic_smile:

Any Place, Any Time,.jpg

Drop Zone Burma.jpg

• Like 1