Looking forward...

Trooper117

I've really been enjoying visiting the CP forums since it was introduced by Jason.

It's been a breath of fresh air to visit and discuss the new Pacific venture, and it's evident from all the interest shown by many that there is a wealth of content to be had in this theatre.

I know it's early days, and Jason and team have a huge amount of work ahead, but for me, I'm looking forward with eagerness to when they can start displaying progress on the sim... (I know this may be quite some time ahead) 😶

Since the launch, forum traffic seems to have slowed a little (understandable, not a lot to see at the moment) but still great to see the interest is still very much alive.

Is this the general feeling chaps? How do others feel... 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I'm interested to see if there will be some kind of damascene conversion that takes place with regards to the overall singleplayer experience compared to the other sim title. The previous series was a swing and a miss for AI performance, SP comms & commands, as well as aircraft and object numbers; I am curious to see if that same standard will carry over into this new product. The previous team had a creative and conceptual bottleneck in there somewhere when it came to understanding and catering for the SP user experience. It will be interesting to see where it was.

• Thanks 1

PTO has some of my favorite ships and favorite planes, so my interest in the sim will never waver. And while simulated combat is fun, I also like "just" flying. Doing circuits around Midway, or Yorktown, or Kaga? If we only get that much I'll be happier than (censored because of rampant PC). I anticipate more than that, so CP will be nothing but  winning! (thanks, Charlie) for me.

BTW, no surprise to see a lot of familiar names in this forum. 😀

Well I will tell you, I have as of a few months ago moved my WWII action to DCS fully. I was already using DCS for the jets and choppers, and had ordered a Point CTRL finger tracking device, and absolutely love manipulating all my switches, doing cold starts, etc in DCS.  I miss having the Career mode and PWCG that IL-2 had as well, but having a lot of fun with scripted campaigns for DCS. Plus I am dividing my time more now between WWII and Jets and Choppers as I continue learning some of them and nice to have all in one sim.

Having said that - I still look forward to this new sim utilizing the PTO and most likely will support it. And even if I can't have full cockpit fidelity which I kind of doubt this sim will have,  I will undoubtedly get it to wet my PTO and carrier ops appetite. I would like to see it have cold start from parking and taxi to runway that is actually consistently good if nothing else. 

Edited by dburne

11 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Since the launch, forum traffic seems to have slowed a little

Fell off a cliff from my perspective but that was to be expected since as you mention most of the topics have been covered to a certain degree. Once we get some news from the developers regarding the final parameters of the first release I think it will pick up exponentially again.

Wheels

• Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

14 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I've really been enjoying visiting the CP forums since it was introduced by Jason.

It's been a breath of fresh air to visit and discuss the new Pacific venture, and it's evident from all the interest shown by many that there is a wealth of content to be had in this theatre.

Is this the general feeling chaps? How do others feel... 

Well, thanks to you and @Chief_Mouser 🫡 I've added several Kindle editions of books about the BPF and FAA. For us Yanks, several of Hobbs' titles are very reasonable at the moment. 

• Like 1

It is almost summer now in the northern hemisphere so the drop off in forum activity is somewhat normal I think. The other place seems a little slow too.

As to what is coming here, it'll definitely be a nice change of pace. I hope too for a fully flesh out single player experience, one that might rival role playing games in character interaction and development. Top notch AI would be a positive too. If this new sim approaches or better, matches the graphics I'm seeing in the Task Force Admiral videos, I'm sold. Very eager to go back to the Pacific.    

It's fun to be in 'on the ground' so to speak, of a new sim. Am more than happy to make any contribution I can to help it along.

In fact, the announcement of a new Pacific sim has me so excited I've even dusted off my old copy of CFS 2 and re-loaded in onto my old XP comp. Have to say that CFS 2 hasn't improved with age. :classic_cool:  It's still quite a 'gentle' flight experience (the kindest word I can come up with). But it is fun to select an aircraft and just fly around in it. Scenery and location has always been it's strong point. Shows it's roots in Flight Simulator. :salute:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Boom said:

It's fun to be in 'on the ground' so to speak, of a new sim. Am more than happy to make any contribution I can to help it along.

In fact, the announcement of a new Pacific sim has me so excited I've even dusted off my old copy of CFS 2 and re-loaded in onto my old XP comp. Have to say that CFS 2 hasn't improved with age. :classic_cool:  It's still quite a 'gentle' flight experience (the kindest word I can come up with). But it is fun to select an aircraft and just fly around in it. Scenery and location has always been it's strong point. Shows it's roots in Flight Simulator. :salute:

I would agree as well.  It's great that we'll be part of the journey from the beginning.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I can honestly say that hearing about CP sent my enthusiasm into the stratosphere. I think it's the best news we have had regarding WWII Flight Sims in a very long time. It's understandable that traffic on the forum has become a little quieter but I think once we start seeing WIP, aircraft and hearing more news, I think combat pilots forum will be the place to be. The Pacific and the aircraft that flew over it certainly bring a wealth of possibilities and scenarios that have been sorely missed.  I'm looking forward to the Japanese aircraft most of all and I'm sure if the gents I fly with can get a squad off the ground I'll be pushing for us to fly predominantly for imperial Japan.  Edit - Of course some of those American aircraft might get a look in too 😄

Edited by OriginalCustard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If things are too good to be true…..

The reason for me being optimistic is Jason. Because he knows more than me what it takes. 
Very ambitious project indeed, I wish for a lesser ambitious start, so this could start earlier. But then it involve IJA and USAAF planes. And maybe Dutch, RAF well you know. 
I have such hopes for this, so I distance myself just for the sake of  self protection 

• Like 2

Well, I'm feeling very optimistic that things will move forward... we have every reason to believe that this will pan out eventually. Let's face it, with Jason's experience in this field, if anyone can make it happen it will be him.

That's not to say there won't be hurdles to overcome on the way, there might well be... but unless we hear anything different, I'm a happy teddy and looking forward for what's to come. 

A few weeks ago we were all in the dark about this venture... just look at the huge amount of interest that it has generated already, and we haven't even had a DD yet!

I'm buoyed up, feeling positive, and looking forward to the future :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing dev posts as it moves along but more than happy for them to take as long as required to get a polished release out the door even it that means only four or so flyables on initial release. Two fighters, two dive bombers say. Quality over quantity.

1427770719.jpg

17 hours ago, Hetstaine said:

Looking forward to seeing dev posts as it moves along but more than happy for them to take as long as required to get a polished release out the door even it that means only four or so flyables on initial release. Two fighters, two dive bombers say. Quality over quantity.

One possibility for initial release is 2 flyable aircraft, Zero and Wildcat, build support, and expand from there. We won't know for a while, and likely they're not sure yet either.

I'd happily accept this as an initial release. Given the detail that is expected at this juncture in a simulated aircraft, I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) that we won't get a 4 aircraft initial release. This would push the release date back further, and revenue to bolster development is the goal. A Wildcat/Zero release would be a hit right out of the gate, both for what it actually is, and what it promises for follow-on development. 

Time will tell, but I'm betting this is what we'll see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

One possibility for initial release is 2 flyable aircraft, Zero and Wildcat, build support, and expand from there. We won't know for a while, and likely they're not sure yet either.

I'd happily accept this as an initial release. Given the detail that is expected at this juncture in a simulated aircraft, I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) that we won't get a 4 aircraft initial release. This would push the release date back further, and revenue to bolster development is the goal. A Wildcat/Zero release would be a hit right out of the gate, both for what it actually is, and what it promises for follow-on development. 

Time will tell, but I'm betting this is what we'll see.

I would hope for more than two planes to start. If it is going to be just the Wildcat and Zero then what need is there for a map of Midway? Plus you will have to have two carriers included for anything like a realistic experience, which will be a lot of work. The only way that I could see those two planes on their own is with a fictitious dogfight map to play about on.

Plus, releasing the best two fighters first will certainly attract revenue, but will the people who fly nothing else really want to then invest in the Val, Kate, Devastator and Dauntless? The devs are going to have fun working out a viable business model; going for Midway has the advantage of needing just a small bit of land, but including carriers does involve a lot of tech and modelling right from the off, plus the three main IJN planes (disregarding variants of same) will be out there immediately. I think that I might have started with a land-based operation, although as already said the distances involved are quite a challenge.

Whatever, it's all speculation, but I for one will be disappointed if it emerges as fighter v fighter; that soon gets old.

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

I have wants but honestly, I’m a laydown: I’ll take whatever they release. 

This reminds me a bit of ROF. It came out with just two fighters and no bombers, no obs, no SP campaign. Lots of concerns about its future at the time, similar to what’s been posted here about CP, but ROF developed into much more than a fighter vs fighter pew pew. Same guy is now in charge of CP. I’d love to see both Lexingtons, all three Yorktowns, all six major IJN CVs, the main fighters/bombers, B-17s, Midway, Pearl, Wake, and the Solomons at launch, but I don’t anticipate that. I do anticipate their eventual inclusion, though. Okay, maybe not the B-17–hopefully Microprose delivers on that one. Waiting patiently. I mean, “patiently.” 😀

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, JFM said:

This reminds me a bit of ROF. It came out with just two fighters and no bombers, no obs, no SP campaign. 

Did it really? My memory must be getting feeble, I'd forgotten that. 🤪 

I do remember being so keen to get my hands on it that I ordered the US version, which was released quite a bit before the European one. The DVD arrived nice and quickly but the UK Customs weren't going to let that slip past them, so I had to pay a great dollop of import duty on it. At least that won't happen with CP 😁.

• Like 2

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻