Combat Pilot "wet dreams"...

I will put there my list of "wet dreams" about upcoming WW2 Combat Pilot simulator. Some of them maybe end as "only dream", hopping not many of them! I believe, these are not only my dreams? Lets consider / discuss them while developing brand new simulator, retrospective implementation is always harder.

1) Fast development, lets say about 1 battle (you know, 8-10 planes + map + other content) per year? We want to pay our developers, developers need money and faster development means more money for developers, right?💰

2) More possibilities of controlling our beloved planes. Not DCS complexity, no, but something in-between. Maybe few examples will be better to understand what i mean:

• You know that little button on Spitfire for checking fuel, right? You know, what i mean? Its just example of plane, which will not be in Pacific release, but similar think really need to be presed by pilot, not by some "lets fly straight for 30 sec" automatic.
  • Engine startup, again, not DCS complexity, but few things that has to be done... For example correctly set throttle lever "one inch forward", open fuel valve, prime fuel, Turn ON magnetos and press and HOLD ignition button till engine start... Please, no more press "I" and wait 30 seconds...
  • Easy things like Turn ON and OFF Gunsight. These bulbs were popping quite often, right? There were spares in every plane. Lets implement some really easy random logic of lights bulb popping when ON. If popped, it will take 30seconds to replace. Pilots will have to turn gunsights OFF to prevent popping... Nothing complicated, just ON, OFF, random time..
  • Guns pre-heating, correct altimeter setting as IRL (atmosphere pressure, just one knoob), manual switching fuel tanks, rammed / unrammed (filtered air), manual oxygen ON/OFF into breathing mask, etc, etc, etc...
  • Magnetos - As Easy as Possible - If (OFF) -> engine will not run, nothing more... Single "IF" condition in code...
  • Cageing artifical horizont - If (not caged during Take-Off) -> it can break, nothing more

3) Separate keys for every possition of any switch... Example: 3 speed supercharger, so key for 1st speed, key for 2nd speed, key for 3rd speed... Please not one key to circle 1-2-3-1-2-3-1... Should I mention 3 colors of formation light for example with its 8 possible combinations?

4) Possibility of axis binding anything, what was IRL on axis like lever... No more "6 years of trimms without axis"

5) Canopy possible continuously open and close and leave in any possition (ofcourse, if possible on particular plane IRL)

6) Landing gear on Wildcat (I-16 etc), OK, lets say even an old Il-2 1946 had better system than some newer simulator... Idealy axis for this, but even "must" of pressing a key continuously during the process was better...

7) Separate key bindings for every plane only with those key binding, that this plane actualy use... Global controls setting like in "other simulator" even with new "semi-separate" like inovation is way to hell, you know that...

8 ) Engine "timers". Well there was not single engine in WW2 which blown up after 10 minutes of flying on WEP power. The effect was cummulative... Timers can be set much more free, corresponding IRL but game should indicate in one simple number 0-100% how much the engine was worn... Just give us a number and possibility to set this number by server-side on plane and mission makers will already deal with it... You will get less points, if you worn engine too much, you will start next time withg 90% worn engine and probability of failure will be much bigger... Also 90% worn engine can have only 95% of its nominal power for example, 100% worn engine only 85% of nominal power etc...

9) Harder FM, well P-39 impossible to do flat spin even if I try to get it there? Thats "too easy FM"...

I know all these systems will add necessary time for development, but again, i believe it cannot be modeled "so hard" like in DCS... Just some "dummy" possibility of controling things with very simple consequences... You will not turn ON oxygen in 20 000ft? Well you will "sleep" in first turn... You will not TURN OFF gunsight? Well bulb will pop and you will be 30 seconds without gunsight... Keep it as simple as possible, but give us possibility to "control" things...

So what do you think? I will maybe add some other thoughs latter, or you can...

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 1:08 PM, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

I will put there my list of "wet dreams" about upcoming WW2 Combat Pilot simulator. Some of them maybe end as "only dream", hopping not many of them! I believe, these are not only my dreams? Lets consider / discuss them while developing brand new simulator, retrospective implementation is always harder.

1) Fast development, lets say about 1 battle (you know, 8-10 planes + map + other content) per year? We want to pay our developers, developers need money and faster development means more money for developers, right?💰

2) More possibilities of controlling our beloved planes. Not DCS complexity, no, but something in-between. Maybe few examples will be better to understand what i mean:

• You know that little button on Spitfire for checking fuel, right? You know, what i mean? Its just example of plane, which will not be in Pacific release, but similar think really need to be presed by pilot, not by some "lets fly straight for 30 sec" automatic.
  • Engine startup, again, not DCS complexity, but few things that has to be done... For example correctly set throttle lever "one inch forward", open fuel valve, prime fuel, Turn ON magnetos and press and HOLD ignition button till engine start... Please, no more press "I" and wait 30 seconds...
  • Easy things like Turn ON and OFF Gunsight. These bulbs were popping quite often, right? There were spares in every plane. Lets implement some really easy random logic of lights bulb popping when ON. If popped, it will take 30seconds to replace. Pilots will have to turn gunsights OFF to prevent popping... Nothing complicated, just ON, OFF, random time..
  • Guns pre-heating, correct altimeter setting as IRL (atmosphere pressure, just one knoob), manual switching fuel tanks, rammed / unrammed (filtered air), manual oxygen ON/OFF into breathing mask, etc, etc, etc...
  • Magnetos - As Easy as Possible - If (OFF) -> engine will not run, nothing more... Single "IF" condition in code...
  • Cageing artifical horizont - If (not caged during Take-Off) -> it can break, nothing more

3) Separate keys for every possition of any switch... Example: 3 speed supercharger, so key for 1st speed, key for 2nd speed, key for 3rd speed... Please not one key to circle 1-2-3-1-2-3-1... Should I mention 3 colors of formation light for example with its 8 possible combinations?

4) Possibility of axis binding anything, what was IRL on axis like lever... No more "6 years of trimms without axis"

5) Canopy possible continuously open and close and leave in any possition (ofcourse, if possible on particular plane IRL)

6) Landing gear on Wildcat (I-16 etc), OK, lets say even an old Il-2 1946 had better system than some newer simulator... Idealy axis for this, but even "must" of pressing a key continuously during the process was better...

7) Separate key bindings for every plane only with those key binding, that this plane actualy use... Global controls setting like in "other simulator" even with new "semi-separate" like inovation is way to hell, you know that...

8 ) Engine "timers". Well there was not single engine in WW2 which blown up after 10 minutes of flying on WEP power. The effect was cummulative... Timers can be set much more free, corresponding IRL but game should indicate in one simple number 0-100% how much the engine was worn... Just give us a number and possibility to set this number by server-side on plane and mission makers will already deal with it... You will get less points, if you worn engine too much, you will start next time withg 90% worn engine and probability of failure will be much bigger... Also 90% worn engine can have only 95% of its nominal power for example, 100% worn engine only 85% of nominal power etc...

9) Harder FM, well P-39 impossible to do flat spin even if I try to get it there? Thats "too easy FM"...

I know all these systems will add necessary time for development, but again, i believe it cannot be modeled "so hard" like in DCS... Just some "dummy" possibility of controling things with very simple consequences... You will not turn ON oxygen in 20 000ft? Well you will "sleep" in first turn... You will not TURN OFF gunsight? Well bulb will pop and you will be 30 seconds without gunsight... Keep it as simple as possible, but give us possibility to "control" things...

So what do you think? I will maybe add some other thoughs latter, or you can...

I think if Jason has learned anything, and I'm sure he has, it would be:

1. No Fw-190 windscreen bar (especially since this will be a Pacific flight sim) 🥰 and;

2. No engine failure "timers". 

Have faith! 

15 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Wildcat gear on an axis? 🤪

Let me script the gear raise and lower please....

I finally got tired a banging the Rise Gear manually/Lower Gear manually keys 50+ times in 1946 for realism sake and ended up using the rcu script written by Grille Chompa. Was much less wear and tear on my keyboard AND fingers...

Wheels

• Like 4

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, spreckair said:

Right.  I will be using VoiceAttack on that one.

Ditto, I use VoiceAttack with all of the flight sims.  (Love it)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 3 weeks later...

Rather we can adjust the site intensity and they design it without parallax, in VR some games it's simply horrid, the reticle flat out fades to nothing simply moving your eye over slightly, that's not even close to true function.  Oh, and do the mirrors right, one thing the other prop guys got pretty good.  If the sight has a knob on it or any adjustment, even for stowing, it better work.  Who cares about burnt out bulbs when the sights not even fully modeled first.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 4:08 PM, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

4) and 6) need one thing: anthropomorphic controls. no octopus pilot you can crank trim infinitely fast. Yes, I want to put trim on an axis but while you're moving it you can only do one thing with one hand at a time and you can only do it so fast. So if you're running the gear on the wildcat you can only do that 

7) this is a must for a modern sim

8 ) also a must. we need a simulation of detonation and heat that's reasonably good at predicting engine damage/degradation

9) Oh yes please. other titles seem to suffer from "on rails" flight models. I have a sneaking suspicion that modern high end PC control peripherals and a too forgiving flight model can allow for accuracy and some wild "edge of envelope" behavior that isn't possible (or at least extremely difficult and not easily repeatable) IRL. Just not having a locked in nose will make combat more difficult and rewarding.     

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 6:18 PM, BlitzPig_EL said:

Anthropomorphic controls has been tried in the other sim before over the decades, and the preponderance of players hated it.

If past is prologue, I wouldn't count on seeing it here.

Hated it? probably. is it more realistic? possibly. Bear in mind you cant macro your arm to do three things at once or use voice commands in place of fingers. It boggles the mind how a lot of people demand realism except when its a bummer...  

• Like 1

It also introduces an element of unrealism, people will think their $3,000 hardware set up is busted when it refuses to respond in the real world in real time, and get extremely pissed off about it.  You flipped your gear lever up physically and moved the flap lever assuming they're on the way up while handling the lights and radio, how is the game going to provide feedback telling the pilot which ones haven't moved?   Now the poor sap has to figure out how to rephase all his controls back into sync not knowing which ones are actually misaligned.  Your opening padora's box, be wary you just might get what your asking for, and end up flying another empty dying game.  

5 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

You aint going to get any 'realism' sitting in front of your monitor or wearing fancy VR goggles... c'mon

Oh I don't know. 

When IL-2 first came out, and I started flying over the Ost Front; I used to open all the windows and doors during Winter to simulate how cold it would have been! :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2023 at 1:23 AM, Boom said:

Oh I don't know. 

When IL-2 first came out, and I started flying over the Ost Front; I used to open all the windows and doors during Winter to simulate how cold it would have been! :classic_biggrin:

Thank god it will be Pacific in June, then 😉But you can still spend a night in a bathtub when you are shot down 

• Haha 2