DCS and DCS WWII

I was holding off even sitting in the thing until I can fly again. Today I caved. Initially I was quite underwhelmed by the artwork but this isnt an F4 thing. DCS in overcast is just not good and its not helped by my 1080P monitor and the Caucauses map.

Punched into the Marianas on a sunny day though and and damn it looks phantastic!! I really cannot wait to properly get to grips with it even though Im mostly a hip jockey. 

I was surprised at how simple start up was.

An updated and fully working Mig21 is a dream I continue to hold but the F4 scratches that Gen 3 itch most satisfyingly.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’ve started my control mapping tedium using the Custom Control Pad App on my iPads for the F-4E.  If it sounds like a sales pitch, well, I only know one other guy that uses this app, my old IL-2 wingman BSR (who won’t go anywhere near DCS), and I hope it’s forever supported on the Apple Store because I’ve come to rely on it.  At any rate it is going to take many days for me to complete this, but when I do I’ll post the iPad screens, in order to impress you tablet-deprived beings.  The Phantom is going to take about 4.

Here is a reference view of what it'll be like, in this case using the F-5E, which is a lot simpler than the F-4:

F-5Ecv.thumb.jpeg.a733b8b05145b1ea084ca52a2defce08.jpeg

Here we are, me and my guy, starting on the Phantom:

WorkInProgress.thumb.jpeg.71d8c8ca187c83c70f3a4d528c06befd.jpeg

Regarding some of the VR threads, this is example of what I tried to explain in words, that I’m still happy on a 2D screen at the present.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

I’ve started my control mapping tedium using the Custom Control Pad App on my iPads for the F-4E.  If it sounds like a sales pitch, well, I only know one other guy that uses this app, my old IL-2 wingman BSR (who won’t go anywhere near DCS), and I hope it’s forever supported on the Apple Store because I’ve come to rely on it.  At any rate it is going to take many days for me to complete this, but when I do I’ll post the iPad screens, in order to impress you tablet-deprived beings.  The Phantom is going to take about 4.

Here is a reference view of what it'll be like, in this case using the F-5E, which is a lot simpler than the F-4:

Here we are, me and my guy, starting on the Phantom:

Regarding some of the VR threads, this is example of what I tried to explain in words, that I’m still happy on a 2D screen at the present.

indeed my man, if it's working for you, cool beans!

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 5/26/2024 at 8:33 PM, Sea Serpent said:

Despite the loudness of the VR crowd, most are still happy on 2D screens.  VR adaptation is very slow and has a tiny install base.  From the latest Steam hardware survey, 1.92% of Steam users have VR. It would be very interesting to see the % of simmers that have them, but that data is not (to my knowledge) gathered or stored anywhere.

That said the particular issue you are displaying here will disappear (slowly) with the newer mixed-reality capable headsets. Not for DCS yet buy SimXR for MSFS allows you to create defined windows in your VR headset that you get to pass through for.  

More on topic, I have not bought the F4 yet, but every time I see screenshots of it I become more tempted. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Skelthos said:

More on topic, I have not bought the F4 yet, but every time I see screenshots of it I become more tempted. 

Even in early early EA it "feels" special. By that I mean it has a certain soul that some other modules, even recent ones, do not have. I think its a personal thing but Ive only gotten that feeling from the Harrier and Hip, perhaps the F14. Likelyy a lot to do with the lack of simulated fly by wire and MFDs perhpas.

I dont quite buy ito the "immersion" of clicking a helmet to put it on or the on/off ground support animations but its better than nought. An animated ground crew would have been the icing on the cake. Given the thing starts static and on a pad, the type of tech used on the supercarrier with the lauch crew could have been employed perhaps. But not Im just being a spoilt brat. I think HB played with animations before on their Forrestal at one stage before EDs supercarrier seemed to kill it off (very sadly). 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It has all the straightforwardness of a 3rd Gen plane, but is packed with some early 4th Gen capabilities.  The Pave Spike pod and its numerous bomb delivery modes make it almost as capable as some of the glass-cockpit strike fighters in certain roles. Because of their night, low level capabilities, it’s no Tornado or Strike Eagle, but during the day, it seems like it could still be a potent attack, or close support aircraft even in a relatively modern DCS scenario. The elegant Mirage F1, and the Volkswagen Beetle-like F-5 don’t even come close in the air to ground role.  The Phantom can carry 18 MK-82s and obviously deliver them with far more accuracy than table-based manual bombing, not to mention the ability to self-lase its GBUs.  Obviously the pod allows it to buddy-lase for anything capable of carrying a GBU, so having just one Phantom in a gaggle of F-5s doing ground attack would make it force multiplier.  The Shrike might not be worth a damn, but I don’t think there is another DCS aircraft of this era that can carry anti-radiation missiles.  I’ve barely scratched the surface of all this, because I’m still setting up my home cockpit controls, but this is the impression I’m forming.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Since I mentioned I was working on it and was going to post the result of my F-4E frontseat control scheme, here are the mostly completed screens.  They will be updated as I find missing things, and there is some room left over, but this is almost all the controllable things from up front:

Left most screen

LeftF4front1.thumb.jpg.0d64a37f3dc921f4c1b87463562be155.jpg

Center (Front Panel)

Center1.thumb.jpg.70d14abcc2e39336a9df6ee119c3fa9c.jpg

Right Console and Wall

CentRight1.thumb.jpg.b409a2509001c0f3aa0dd451b45da623.jpg

Jester, Crew Chief, Wingman, AWACS, direct commands

AImenu1.thumb.jpg.6fac6f4652647aac0ce6adb5b5b87cd5.jpg

What I see when I'm flying the plane:

F4econtrols1.thumb.jpeg.5c3cd2623e11d4c1bc5568bebcefb220.jpeg

Edited by Sea Serpent
People bitch about the tedium of mapping IL-2 controls, lol
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nice Job!  (your post mission report has been dispatched to the Sec of Defense). 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 6/1/2024 at 9:54 PM, Sea Serpent said:

Since I mentioned I was working on it and was going to post the result of my F-4E frontseat control scheme, here are the mostly completed screens.  They will be updated as I find missing things, and there is some room left over, but this is almost all the controllable things from up front:

Left most screen

LeftF4front1.thumb.jpg.0d64a37f3dc921f4c1b87463562be155.jpg

Center (Front Panel)

Center1.thumb.jpg.70d14abcc2e39336a9df6ee119c3fa9c.jpg

Right Console and Wall

CentRight1.thumb.jpg.b409a2509001c0f3aa0dd451b45da623.jpg

Jester, Crew Chief, Wingman, AWACS, direct commands

AImenu1.thumb.jpg.6fac6f4652647aac0ce6adb5b5b87cd5.jpg

What I see when I'm flying the plane:

F4econtrols1.thumb.jpeg.5c3cd2623e11d4c1bc5568bebcefb220.jpeg

Whoa, Jettison Stores is just a single finger digit away from the landing lights? 🙂

• Haha 2

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

53 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

Whoa, Jettison Stores is just a single finger digit away from the landing lights? 🙂

Well...😀

jett2.thumb.jpg.e7f58a3059ada60b47aff1a57426bb54.jpg

I'm probably not likely to reach out and hit the wrong button on my control pad, but you're right about the dumb arrangement.  The app allows me to designate it as a "safe" button, meaning it has to be tapped twice to work, or otherwise doesn't do anything other than sound a warning buzzer.  So I've done that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2