DCS and DCS WWII

Since we are absolutely able to handle discussions about competitors products like gentleman and with all due respect to the host here, it is for sure necessary to discuss about DCS, since this one is up to this date in my opinion the most advanced combat flight simulator which has come a looong way since Flanker and Lock On. 

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Yep, got all of them and Combat pilot will be another must have!...  :classic_biggrin:

Well, as regards DCS, I think they might want to up their game a bit on the Pacific front now that Jason is back in the frame.

Or doe the sensible thing and drop it, at least anything pre-1951.

4 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Well, as regards DCS, I think they might want to up their game a bit on the Pacific front now that Jason is back in the frame.

Since yesterday DCS was our best hope in regards to the PTW. 

And I'm really looking forward to the Corsair and the Hellcat, but my save bet is, that CP will deliver a more coherent and complete experience. My hope is, that CP will have the coherent theaters like GB but a bit more fidelity, let's say on the level of CloD. Clickable Cockpits and a somewhat "light" Start up  procedure. No need to deliver the full thing. This has not to be on a study sim level. 

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Like 1

DCS relies to much on 3rd party developers you are likely looking at the announced WW II version of the Marianas map and what ever planes other developers have announced for the next few years.   I doubt that this announcement will spur them to create content any faster. There will always be some that prefer one over the other. 

I think you will see people looking for a good Pacific Theatre sim flock here as well as people who have been fans of BoX and Rise of Flight and are familiar with Jason's work . Those heavily invested in DCS will likely stay with that platform. 

12 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

but my save bet is, that CP will deliver a more coherent and complete experience

Fully agree with this   I think CP will definitely have a more robust and complete campaign system, as well as plane sets and other assets.

DCS is different from GB.  What DCS does works for them.  What GB did under Jason worked for them (no comment on their current team...)

I hope Combat Pilot is it's own thing, not just "GB in the pacific".... I'd be perfectly happy if they dump the whole "must be an all inclusive package concept" if it more efficient and helps with production turn around times.   We'll all learn more once Jason starts providing updates. 

Back to DCS, today's newsletter:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/4c8062c45e675747dc4b7da7e65a06a2/

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Like 1

P51 resized.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

DCS/GB/CloD/AFS 4/MSFS/VTOL VR/Condor/IL-2 BAT (ok, not lately...)

DCS fills it's niche as a study sim, MSFS is for sightseeing. GB/CloD are the sweet spot, IMO, with just enough systems to keep you busy and involved without needing to spend a lot of time in the books. WW2 systems are pretty simple and common, so a combination of GB "universal commands" and CloD cockpit interaction would seem ideal. 

In Pacific absolutely need drop tanks, torpedoes, carrier navigation systems, realistic weather (storms!), life rafts after ditching so can be rescued by PBY or sub, etc.

Few of the WW2 aircraft in any of the sims accurately simulate torque, P-factor, slipstream effect. Need those to keep carrier ops interesting. Big taildraggers need to be tamed before you can enjoy them!

Good AI flight models to avoid the UFO syndrome is a must, along with ability to fly as a wingman in SP to follow along and learn the ropes.

Can't wait to land on a carrier just before it gets torpedoed!

On 5/19/2023 at 11:32 AM, Vulture said:

DCS/GB/CloD/AFS 4/MSFS/VTOL VR/Condor/IL-2 BAT (ok, not lately...)

DCS fills it's niche as a study sim, MSFS is for sightseeing. GB/CloD are the sweet spot, IMO, with just enough systems to keep you busy and involved without needing to spend a lot of time in the books. WW2 systems are pretty simple and common, so a combination of GB "universal commands" and CloD cockpit interaction would seem ideal. 

In Pacific absolutely need drop tanks, torpedoes, carrier navigation systems, realistic weather (storms!), life rafts after ditching so can be rescued by PBY or sub, etc.

Few of the WW2 aircraft in any of the sims accurately simulate torque, P-factor, slipstream effect. Need those to keep carrier ops interesting. Big taildraggers need to be tamed before you can enjoy them!

Good AI flight models to avoid the UFO syndrome is a must, along with ability to fly as a wingman in SP to follow along and learn the ropes.

Can't wait to land on a carrier just before it gets torpedoed!

Soon to be Combat Pilot owner 😁, DCS, IL-2 GB, Clod, MSFS, and BMS.... yep, BMS.  Had to try out their new VR.  It's actually pretty cool.

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I love DCS in the sense that I feel as close as I can to flying the real aircraft as I can on a PC; however all of the realism of DCS comes at a cost and that cost is time to build a comprehensive model and the expense of producing it. This means 3rd parties who are not going to build the plane that fits the vision of the team but rather what plane will sell the most.  This means building a cohesive campaign in a certain theater is difficult. IL2 GB did a great job of creating a beautiful game with period correct aircraft but I feel the limitations of the engine. I think a from scratch flight sim has the ability to incorporate things like multi-threading, enhanced graphics, and hopefully will allow us to have relatively large scale dogfights over Midway or Guadalcanal. Can you imagine an interactive Carrier deck(ie DCS Supercarrier mod) on the USS Yorktown or the Akagi(insert drool here)?

57 minutes ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

If you watch closely he types EA-072023 in the bottom row just before the video ends.

ea072023.thumb.jpeg.d277456c6ad3f5e9682315cf70dcceb7.jpeg

Wheels

July is actually further out than I thought it would be... but I've been waiting this long so an extra month or two won't hurt

Pretty cool seeing a former F-15E and F-16 (Thunderbirds) guy give his thoughts on it:

P51 resized.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

I own practically every module, and all of the maps.  anxiously awaiting the Corsair, and now the La-7.  Also know the F6F will come some day, in the mean time, I fly the flyingiron F6F in MSFS2020.  Wish DCS would've allowed flyingiron to port that over, but they wanted to make their own module.  Which is fine.

Regardless, CP PTO is a dream come true, and I really want a robust sim in this theatre, and in VR!  Woot!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

14 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

FlyingIrons is actually making the A7E Crusader II for DCS.

Yep, and wish they'd let them port the F6F over. But I understand their reasons, they want to build it themselves.  cool with that.  Regardless, I'll buy the Crusader, and any thing 'Nam era! 

F4F, F6F, F4U, I'll take any F at this point.

• Like 1