Discussion of Developer Diary #02

Jason_Williams

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions

DD 02

Dear Pilots,

Welcome to our second Developer Diary for Combat Pilot! Today we are showing off a very famous U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps fighter – the pugnacious F4F-4!

The Wildcat as it was called was the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps’ front-line fighter when war broke out. Like the Zero it fought in all the major early war battles and helped blunt the Japanese juggernaut during the first critical year of the war. The Wildcat was outclassed by the A6M in just about every way and losses were high. Several F4F pilots earned the Medal of Honor for their bravery while flying her and even though outperformed, many pilots became aces in the F4F series. American pilots had to invent new tactics to compete with the Zero including the famous “Thach Weave” that focused on teamwork to down A6Ms.

Full Developer Diary is HERE! 

Jason

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Yay, it's a good day- DD! Thank you Jason.

My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that one of the flaws of some early war American torpedoes was they would not detonate if they struck dead on at a 90 degree perpendicular angle to their target but were more likely to explode if they hit at a glancing angle due to a flaw in the detonator. Am I correct in that belief and could that characteristic be modelled?

• Like 1

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions
5 minutes ago, FuriousMeow said:

I think the FM-2 had the Wright R-1820-65 and not the -56. Not that it matters much now, but if it ever makes it in don't want it just falling off the end of the carrier due to insufficient power of the -56.

I see -56 listed in multiple places.

Jason

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sea Serpent said:

Interesting how that torpedo went from being just a bunch of junk to the best air-dropped torpedo of the war.  Just read that it could eventually be dropped at 350 knots and 5000 feet (instead of like 100 knots, 100 feet).

And it wasn't just a legend, quite impressive to witness 😉

At the end of the day, a single one did find a target during that battle still after all. Even a broken clock etc... I guess

• Like 5