Il2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Tobruk - News and updates

On 12/15/2023 at 7:33 AM, kestrel79 said:

Wow they are really getting ahead of themselves here. Announcing the next 2 projects. I like where they are going with both updates but hope they can deliver. See you guys in 2028 🙂

More like 2038...

Wheels

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 2 weeks later...

From Buzzsaw:

"Hello All

Best wishes to everyone on the Holiday Season and for the New Year.

----

As previously mentioned, we have a new aircraft announcement.
This aircraft will be the centrepiece of the TF 6.5 DLC.

The aircraft, of course, is the Lancaster B.1

The TF 6.5 DLC will focus on an environment not often simulated in gaming... the dark skies over WWII Europe as Night Bombers seek their targets and Night Fighters try to intercept them.

The bomber player will experience the often tense and lonely experience of navigating over enemy territory to his target, and the Fighter player will have the challenging and often frustrating task of finding his opponent before he drops his deadly cargo.

The DLC will use the BLITZ and DIEPPE maps.  It will cover the period 1940-42.

Besides the Lancaster, there will be additional aircraft variants and types, including twin-engined night fighter types fully equipped with airborne radar systems as well as bombers with all the navigational equipment used at the time.

Both the British and German sides will have options to fly Bombers or Fighters.

The Lancaster 3D model is currently underway, with both the external model and cockpit well advanced.  (we'll show cockpit images in a later update)

We are aiming for a 2025 release for this DLC... approximately one year after TF 6.0.

It will probably sell for less than the standard DLC."

Lanc-Promo-4

Lanc-Promo-3

Lanc-Promo-2

Lanc-Promo-1

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 4

Hmm. Fascinating, and exciting news, on several level's.

First is that there will be a night bomber development, which is fantastic!

Second that it'll be the Avro Lancaster, that most iconic of Bomber Command bombers.

Third is that there will be concurrent development of a night fighter and with radar.

Fourth, and most interesting for me, is that the period will cover 1940 to 1942. Given that the first operational mission for the Lancaster (by 44 Squadron) was on 2 March, 1942, it means there are almost two (2) years to fill with other bombers. So roll on the Mandley page Hampden and the Vickers Wellington.
Most importantly for me here's hoping to fly perhaps the Armstrong Withworth Whitley, the 'heavy hitter' of Bomber Command until replaced by the four-engined heavies in 1942 onwards.

• Like 3

Whole lot of announcement of future projects lately, with quite a bit of things I'd be excited about.

The sim's popularity hasn't suffered because of the lack of aircraft, or lack of visual updates (or VR). Fixes to the sim would be what I'd recommend first. AI (realistic defensive flight instead of pinwheel loops) & UI (more user-friendly way to play the game). However, fixes don't sell... 

• Like 2

Saw a Reddit post the other day about CloD and mapping out joysticks, reminded me just how much of a nightmare it was in that game! Had plenty of trouble myself that I'd blocked out of my mind. Also the games tendency to delete all your mappings if you happened to plug your sticks back in, in the wrong order!! So yeah, agreed fully agreed with Feldgrun, the game desperately needs fixes along with content (Which is still likely years and years away from release)

Honestly starts to feel like a wasted effort, regardless of how much "potential" this engine might have had. Can't help but compare to the folks over at Falcon BMS and they work they've managed to do with an even older game, and for free!

• Sad 1

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

20 minutes ago, MustangMike said:

Honestly starts to feel like a wasted effort, regardless of how much "potential" this engine might have had.

Call it a wasted effort all you want man but it’s either this or nothing for a proper depiction of the Channel Front 1941-42, Night bombing 1940-42, El Alamein and the Siege of Malta. When was any of this properly covered in a flight sim? Never. Combat Pilot probably won’t be fully released until probably 2026, the next IL-2 GBs installment (likely Korea) probably won’t be out until 2026 too. For GBs, their next installment after that probably won’t be out until 2028. By 2026 we’ll have TF 6.0 and 6.5, possibly TF 7.0.

P.S. I recently joined TFS to help where I can to speed things up and it goes to show that if you want something done quicker it’s probably best to get involved.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Enceladus said:

By 2026 we’ll have TF 6.0 and 6.5, possibly TF 7.0.
P.S. I recently joined TFS to help where I can to speed things up...

TFS hasn't been known for meeting deadlines, so I'm hesitantly optimistic about seeing 6.0 this year.

I'm glad that you're helping. Please put a word in to fix underlying issues with AI FM, as I'd love to see that sim succeed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MustangMike said:

Saw a Reddit post the other day about CloD and mapping out joysticks, reminded me just how much of a nightmare it was in that game! Had plenty of trouble myself that I'd blocked out of my mind. Also the games tendency to delete all your mappings if you happened to plug your sticks back in, in the wrong order!! So yeah, agreed fully agreed with Feldgrun, the game desperately needs fixes along with content (Which is still likely years and years away from release)

Honestly starts to feel like a wasted effort, regardless of how much "potential" this engine might have had. Can't help but compare to the folks over at Falcon BMS and they work they've managed to do with an even older game, and for free!

This is a good point. They can say they are adding all these maps and bombers, but are they doing anything to fix the worst UI I have ever seen in a flight sim? Or how about the really clunky button mapping menu? It's still the same from the original CloD release which was a mess at the time. Who remembers the epilepsy filter? Lol.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Latest VR Beta (still in testing).

They have added a new 'Insane' setting for building amounts, which eradicates the pop up of buildings (dark/flat/brown/grey areas) that used to be drawn into view and looked awful.

Now (with recoding which gives about 3x more fps over built-up areas) the detail on the ground....actually feels like flying over a city 🙂

Insane-1

Insane-2

Insane-4

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, kissTheSky said:

I don’t get to visit their own/native forum and don’t know what the latest is, but are there any news on when/if VR may come in? 

VR has been in beta for years. Lots of [missed] promises on delivery, but many are still waiting. Last I heard the projected completion was "last six months of 2024."

In my opinion, improvements to the existing product may make customers happier but don't sell games. New planes sell flight sim games. However, very few play the game if it's full of problems.

Edited by Feldgrün
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Feldgrün. I know about the beta testing from day 1 and did not choose to participate since my game/sim time is already limited as is to justify a true beta program participation. 

About the game, if I’m honest, I’ve never shook a stick in this game even though I treated VR as a kickstarter campaign and purchased Tobruk to support the team, so I don’t even know if there are many other issues with the game play or not.

At this point though, I’m ready to start it as a failed kickstarter campaign. It feels the team’s “we can’t get a response from PiMax, that’s why VR is delayed” reasoning seems a bit disingenuous after almost two years. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kissTheSky said:

Thanks @Feldgrün. I know about the beta testing from day 1 and did not choose to participate since my game/sim time is already limited as is to justify a true beta program participation. 

About the game, if I’m honest, I’ve never shook a stick in this game even though I treated VR as a kickstarter campaign and purchased Tobruk to support the team, so I don’t even know if there are many other issues with the game play or not.

At this point though, I’m ready to start it as a failed kickstarter campaign. It feels the team’s “we can’t get a response from PiMax, that’s why VR is delayed” reasoning seems a bit disingenuous after almost two years. 

The timeline (at present) for VR release is "at the very latest", December 2024.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/85701-fortresses-and-focke-wulfs-dieppe-announcement/

The video isn't very good, so don't make too much of it.

The Q&A thread regarding the announcement and covering most questions about VR, Visual Update, Speedtree and release dates is here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/85702-discussion-of-fortresses-and-focke-wulfs-announcement/

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

From Buzzsaw :

"We are making good progress with the Speedtree integration.

Speedtree 8.42 is up and functioning within our in-house Alpha.  However, the shaders, i.e. the overall colour and look of the vegetation needs to be set correctly.  We don't want to release a version of Speedtree to the Beta whereby the trees look like day-glo psychedelic dreams... 😉   We are currently working on this aspect.  Once that is complete, we will add Speedtree to the VR Beta.

The work in bug-squashing in VR is progressing as well.   We have recently brought a new programmer into TF, and he is working with our lead VR programmer on identifying and eliminating the source of the crashes which have been a problem in VR.  Overall VR is working very well, our testers report it is looking better than either DCS or GB, but inevitably a crash occurs... typically within about 20 minutes of the player starting a mission.  Obviously we can't release VR with this problem, so our focus is on finding and eliminating the bugs causing these crashes.

Once we have Speedtree into the VR Beta and once we have eliminated the crash bugs, we will open the VR Beta to all users for a final round of tests.

No timeline at this point."

• Like 3

On 5/7/2024 at 7:45 PM, Mysticpuma said:

Once we have Speedtree into the VR Beta and once we have eliminated the crash bugs, we will open the VR Beta to all users for a final round of tests.

No timeline at this point."

I am cautiously optimistic.. although the "no timeline" part doesn't fill me with hope. 

My gaming time lately has been mostly devoted to Falcon BMS, so I'm not in a huge rush at this point. 

• Like 1

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!