Movies and TV Shows

CP_Admin

I haven't watched the newest version of this story, but having read the book a couple of times and then watched the original movie from 1930, I thought this TV movie was pretty good when it was first broadcast way back when. Richard Thomas broke from his Waltons JohnBoy image very effectively. Ernest Borgnine was excellent in his role. It's on Amazon Prime currently. I think the film held up pretty effectively. Good cast with several familiar faces.

image.thumb.png.26203db4a11fc9dcf9e9cc5f7623c520.png

• Like 1

I think Borgnine largely carried the 80's version.

The new one is exceptional all the way around and worth a watch. If you liked 1917, it has a very similar feel/pace with more of the book version's sense of the horrors of war and impending doom.

• Like 3

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

On 12/17/2023 at 1:24 PM, Boba Fett said:

If you liked 1917,

For me the movie 1917 was a swing and a miss. I do not remember off hand what did not work for me I just remember it was a disappointment as far as WW1 movies go.

Wheels

• Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

12 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

For me the movie 1917 was a swing and a miss. I do not remember off hand what did not work for me I just remember it was a disappointment as far as WW1 movies go.

Wheels

I think 1917 lacked a certain level of grittiness. That might just be a problem with UHD in general. It seems to make everything bright in a way. I was speaking mostly to the pacing. All Quiet does not lack the grit and is well worth a watch.

• Like 3

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

8 hours ago, Viper said:

Yesterday I saw Bat 21 a little dated but I really liked it

Good movie. Gene Hackman,, Danny Glover, and a somewhat different role for Jerry Reed after all the movies he made with Burt Reynolds.

Wheels

• Like 2

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another good one is "The Sand Pebbles".  Awesome flick.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sand_Pebbles_(film)

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

3 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

I would actually rate The Sand Pebbles higher than In Harm's Way.

Wheels

:classic_ohmy: Shock and horror!!

Sand Pebbles is indeed a very good movie. But In Harms Way is a classic in so many ways. It's easily one of John Wayne's best movies, he really acts in this one. :classic_smile: And it has a stellar supporting cast. 

Most importantly, for me, is the story. Other than the climatic battle at the end, there's little in the way of action. Instead it shows a more true version of war, ie people going about their business in the backwaters of the war. Very refreshing.

• Like 3

A couple of movies that Ernst Udet actually acted in (lines and all) in the early '30's. Of course he played the hero pilot. :classic_smile:
Storm Over Mont Blanc; and The White Hell Of Pitz Palu

Storm-over-mont-blanc.jpg

The White Hell of Pitz Palu.jpg

Edited by Boom
  • Like 4

The Beekeeper

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15314262/

beekeeper.thumb.jpg.6886c03f1a0aeda8ec2a6988a18d1b0a.jpg

1960's Kung Fu movies-with better voice dubbing than them, meets Die Hard, meets John Wick.

Or in other terms, just another indestructible one man wrecking crew movie. Nothing new or unique about the movie.

Imo, This movie is one for you to wait to watch on a streaming service for which you already pay monthly subscription fees.

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
changed service fees to subscription fees
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, it's a shame to see Jason Statham being locked into mindless action movies. He has so much more to offer eg
Snatch; Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; Killer Elite; Operation Fortune, to name just a few.

One of my favourites is the role Statham played in Spy (2015). Surprisingly comedic as the macho, hyped-up superspy caricature who turns out to be a loud-mouth bumbling clutz. Every apperance had me laughing. Saved an otherwise dull movie.

• Like 4