Movies and TV Shows

CP_Admin

• Administrators

Attention Movie and TV Lovers!

Talk about your favorite movies and TV shows in this section. Everyone here loves a good movie and to critique bad ones. Share great movie clips here in this section or write a review! Are there any good movies these days? Be civil and polite please.

The Combat Pilot Team

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a big sci-fi fan and two shows over the years have been real standout for me are the reimagined Battlestar Galactica 2004-2009 and more recently, the Expanse 2015-2022. Both shows had some wonderful performances and some really great story telling, with admittedly a little bit of fall off from Battlestar Galactica towards the end of the show. The most standout thing about these two shows was the amazing lack of rampant and partisan political messaging and activism that is pumped into television and movies these days. Most of the major sci-fi franchises have been destroyed over the last few years and season 1 and 2 of Picard were dreadful. However maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel as season three of Picard was actually extremely good and paid real service to the fans. Fingers crossed moving forward.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JediMaster said:

still hoping the new Babylon 5 series will happen

Babylon 5 was an amazing show with probably one of the best story arcs in sci-fi television, let down only by some poor special effects. 

1 hour ago, JediMaster said:

you missed the anti-Iraq stuff in the BSG reboot, I'm surprised.

I didn't miss it, but to be honest with you it certainly wasn't anywhere near as rampant as the shove in your face propaganda that we see in modern television and movies 

Moving on to movies, I think it's almost impossible to pick a favorite film as there are so many good choices. One film that I've enjoyed very much from a few years ago was Ford versus Ferrari. The original theatrical version of Blade Runner is most certainly in my top 20 and I don't care what Ridley Scott says, Deckard is not a replicant :classic_biggrin: The first Alien and Aliens is up there as a classic couple of movies as well. Two of my very favourite films are the Hidden Fortress and Yojimbo and Toshiro Mifune is one of my favourite actors. But I think my favourite director of all time has to be Alfred Hitchcock and my favorite film of his Rear Window. 

• Like 1

Just finished watching the 4 hour NBC commercial fest or as it was blatantly misrepresented for the last month The Indianapolis 500.

The last two laps were definitely exciting from a viewer standpoint but in deference to the overall safety of the drivers I think the last Red flag was one too many.

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
  • Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

I just watched the 2016 remake of The Magnificent Seven with Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, & Vincent D'Onofrio.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404435/

Even with that cast I was not expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised with it. There are definitely a lot less entertaining ways to spend 2 hours and 12 minutes.

Wheels

• Like 1

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

Another sci-fi fan here, mostly watched B5, SG-1 and some Star Trek back in the day but Farscape was my favourite by far.
However a tv show I feel was massively underappreciated would be 'Counterpart' from 2017. It only ran for two seasons and is technically sci-fi but really is a well written spy thriller, intelligent and all the actors nailed it while the lead (J.K. Simmons) was bloody awesome.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4643084/

Skins, missions, campaigns and historical references for flight sims: http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/news.php

The King

It´s a movie about Henry V of England - although it has some historical inaccuracies it is very well done otherwise!

Great soundtrack and atmosphere and the fighing scenes / battles feel kinda authentic. If you like medieval stuff and can overlook some stuff / changes you are in for an entertaining movie!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7984766/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Edited by golani79
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Good Cop on Netflix

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7183074/

It first aired in 2018 and only had one season and 10 episodes. :classic_unsure:

Main Cast:

• Tony Danza
  • Josh Grobin
  • Monica Barbaro (Pre Top Gun: Maverick and FUBAR)

Considering episode 10 ended with a cliffhanger of sorts I have to believe that the cast and crew were expecting a season 2.

Wheels

It was enjoyable but I didn’t like the mischaracterization of the NTSB. The investigators determined that it was technically possible for them to have returned to LaGuardia or landed at Teterboro but they never criticized Sully for landing on the Hudson River.

Every movie needs a villain, yes and not every movie about a real event can stick entirely to reality, but how the investigators were portrayed for the most part was wrong. The antagonist of the story should have been Sully dealing with stresses after the flight.

Really, the only instance I can think of where the NTSB was like how they were portrayed in Sully is the flight in my signature… also known as the Hoot Gibson story and initially he received as much praise that Sully did.

No Time to Die

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2382320/

james_bond.thumb.jpg.781ada41628680ddba657712288a1ec8.jpg

I enjoyed the movie but I will never consider it a true Bond movie. If you have seen the movie you will likely understand my sentiment.

The movie is just about three years old but I do not want to discuss my reasons for my sentiments as I do not to spoil the movie's plot points for anyone who might not have seen it yet.

Wheels

4 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

No Time to Die

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2382320/

james_bond.thumb.jpg.781ada41628680ddba657712288a1ec8.jpg

I enjoyed the movie but I will never consider it a true Bond movie. If you have seen the movie you will likely understand my sentiment.

The movie is just about three years old but I do not want to discuss my reasons for my sentiments as I do not to spoil the movie's plot points for anyone who might not have seen it yet.

Wheels

Having watched it, I agree completely. It is NOT a true Bond movie. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Wackiest Ship in the Army. Jack Lemon and Ricky Nelson

wackiest_ship_army.thumb.jpg.294d3d4eb5c4eefd8c0dbe6f855479dd.jpg

Still watching mid 20th century offerings. Jack Lemon IS the movie.

This is supposed to take place during WW2 but early in the film you catch a quick glimpse of the Essex class carrier USS Bennington (CV-20) after her angled deck conversion.

Wheels