Will the future beta testers...

19 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Speaking as a beta tester - you have ZERO clue what you’re talking about. 

Speaking as a beta tester yes he does. Those that shouted the loudest in the forum threads got their way. Penetration values were increased because of whining about 50 cal ammunition but ballistic effects are not modeled to any degree This was confirmed after I asked the question. Unfortunately, if I dare to mention it on the other forum the posts mysteriously disappear. so the laser beams of death is a real phenomenon. It's amazing how many people who were testers were fixated on one issue i.e the flighter game and when things changed they disappeared from posting about "problems." Not intentionally bringing drama over to this forum but the player numbers online speak for themselves in great battles it's in a massive tail spin. Anyway moving on ... 

Edit:This will be the last time I mention this as I hope Combat Pilot will go from strength to strength.

Edited by OriginalCustard
  • Like 2

All that mainly flew general purpose missions had a feeling that fighters was priority one. 
It is undisputed and I call it a fact. 
I hope testing will be done by some with the same interest as me. And Custard with his squad mates would be a candidate if these small fur balls in forum can stop. 
I really do hope a more realistically approach regarding dm hitboxes , complexity in dm and ballistics together with defensive armament will be improved. Simply making a flight in the Kate dangerous but realistic. 
I really would like to see testers having all branches in mind when testing

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lusekofte said:

All that mainly flew general purpose missions had a feeling that fighters was priority one. 

It did seem as though GB's became more and more fighter centric with each update. Maybe that is because for some players bomber missions are boring or maybe I'm just imagining it. I of course have my own bias as I fly almost exclusively ground attack/ bombers. I hope that the damage modelling in particularly will be a marked improvement over what we currently have in the other SIM.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Lusekofte said:

I hope testing will be done by some with the same interest as me.

One would hope that the main testing will be done by someone invested in getting the sim the best in can be and can be as un biased as possible. If the dev team is good, the beta testers will have no impact on the direction of the game and will just be used to iron out bugs.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skelthos said:

One would hope that the main testing will be done by someone invested in getting the sim the best in can be and can be as un biased as possible. If the dev team is good, the beta testers will have no impact on the direction of the game and will just be used to iron out bugs.  

Of course my main interest is as realistic as possible. I don’t want to cruise along safe in my slow crates. And I do not think beta testers got any saying in strategy and gameplay. They are there for testing a product. It is more a policy culminating from loud crowd, often fighter focused since they are numerous in advantage. 
I agree totally with you

22 hours ago, HerrMurf said:

Beta testers are not some cabal with a secret agenda. They perform a largely thankless job, for no pay, to try and bring the best out of the available data and code. Management has both the first and final say in the end product.

*Sadly packs away dark robe and brazier*

• Haha 3

"The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was"

2 hours ago, Skelthos said:

I believe sometimes it can be possible for players, those at least with thousands of hours, to provide a unique perspective on gameplay that might not always be readily apparent to the devs. For example in multiplayer, and how things such as the damage models, flight models, net code etc interact in this competitive environment. Not saying it's always the case, just something to note.

4 minutes ago, Krupinski said:

I believe sometimes it can be possible for players, those at least with thousands of hours, to provide a unique perspective on gameplay that might not always be readily apparent to the devs. For example in multiplayer, and how things such as the damage models, flight models, net code etc interact in this competitive environment. Not saying it's always the case, just something to note.

Absolutely, a beta tester saying XYZ does not feel right or feels bad, is good for the developer. I was more speaking towards the trend you see from some developers who seem to cave into or make drastic design changes because of a few beta testers, or even worse people who saw a twitch stream of someone doing beta, screaming. Not calling out any particular developers as you see it across multiple genres.             A good developer should filter any feed back that is not constructive in nature.       

Yeah, this is why I hope we see some good tools for testers and even the average players, like ways to fire specific ammo at specific parts of aircraft, then fly that aircraft etc. If we find ourselves in situations where people are asking for design changes, it will be easier to provide evidence to back up these claims, or to the contrary... much more productive to the improvement of the game, to avoid opinionated arguments.

Edited by Krupinski

22 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I know right? And sour grapes from guys who are not beta testers…so obnoxious isn’t it?

Perfect example!  Mocking comment, loads of sycophants pile on - but it's just a bunch of forum guys.  With a Beta Tester special tag on your name, though, it implies that this juvenile and antisocial behavior is endorsed by the developers who own the forum.  Bad for business.

• Like 1

TBD.jpg

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions

Hey guys,

Let’s not bring your complaints about testing experiences elsewhere here. We haven’t even done any testing yet! We’re a whole different team except for me and I remember all the issues surrounding testing. All this arguing in the very beginning does nothing for us.  

Jason

18 hours ago, Props said:

I've never been interested in being a Beta Tester before this, but I am now and would enjoy the opportunity till fill some of my retirement days with some more stick time. I spend sooo much time researching the Pacific Theater that I feel it's my duty! I await the call the call to serve

Extreme enthusiasm for the subject matter is essential. 🙂

It seems to me the people that want to beta test the most are the ones who have the most misguided image in their head of what it entails.

Be forced to play a buggy game and do things over and over again ad infinitum in order to record all the problems and then see half of what you report not get fixed anyway so that the rank and file community complains about the quality of said testers?

Yeah, I think that "beta tester" is the textbook definition of "thankless job." It's necessary, and no software devs can do without them, but I would want to be paid to do it, the benefit/loss ratio is too heavily negative for me to do it for free!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JediMaster said:

It seems to me the people that want to beta test the most are the ones who have the most misguided image in their head of what it entails.

Be forced to play a buggy game and do things over and over again ad infinitum in order to record all the problems and then see half of what you report not get fixed anyway so that the rank and file community complains about the quality of said testers?

Yeah, I think that "beta tester" is the textbook definition of "thankless job." It's necessary, and no software devs can do without them, but I would want to be paid to do it, the benefit/loss ratio is too heavily negative for me to do it for free!

Yeah, it's not really a "wow cool, I have access to neat stuff!" thing. I mean maybe for a minute, but that wears off quickly and it's a matter of just getting down to business and helping the Devs squash bugs, and yes make suggestions. Contrary to what has be eluded to however, we don't have "special powers" to make inappropriate things happen. On the contrary I've posted data on certain things repeatedly and things do not always change. Just how it is, and I'm sure they had their reasons when this occurred. Most of the time they make the change you'd expect. 

With IL2 I was involved to facilitate building campaigns, where getting access to say the map a bit early was helpful in the workflow, and then spending at least as much time reporting bugs as building missions. Just part of the gig. Essentially though, be careful what you wish for. There's something to be said to booting up a heavily tested, mostly debugged aircraft for the first time. 🙂 YMMV.

• Like 2