Carrier Traffic/Landing Pattern

Pabsty

Does anybody have a good source for the ww2 carrier landing pattern? Did they have an earlier version of the marshal stack/case 1 recovery pattern? Any thoughts on what the radio procedures, light or flag signals would be?

The best I've found so far online is this image.

US_Navy_aircraft_carrier_landing_in_WWII_diagram.jpg.1ded12a8603080a1490e4a060fabfa16.jpg

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, CPT Crunch said:

Be sweet to have a little box open up with a close up of the LSO when you hit the last leg in.

Wasn’t this in Pacific Fighters? It’s been a while. Regardless, I second the motion. It was a nice touch.

thanks for the info AC!

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

1 hour ago, Amiral Crapaud said:

It was in Combat Flight Simulator 2 🙂

I would be happy to see the return of the sprite-window LSO. There are some things that the monitor just cannot match to with our eyes, and I suspect a small man waving two flags around on the carrier deck would be one of those things. I think the window LSO would be an agreeable compromise really.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 8:09 PM, Leifr said:

There are some things that the monitor just cannot match to with our eyes, and I suspect a small man waving two flags around on the carrier deck would be one of those things

With an 8K 65" monitor it should be visible from quite some distance. We need an RTX 6090 with 64GB DDR7 memory.  Just a matter of time, three to four years.

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2023 at 7:09 PM, Leifr said:

I would be happy to see the return of the sprite-window LSO. There are some things that the monitor just cannot match to with our eyes, and I suspect a small man waving two flags around on the carrier deck would be one of those things. I think the window LSO would be an agreeable compromise really.

Agree very much. I thought this was done really well in CFS2.

Now I’m also recalling that you could sink a cruiser with four 20mm cannon in that game too😲

• Haha 1

Absolutely you need an LSO window.  I’m on one of those 34 inch monitors, and very few can see the f@$&ing ball in DCS, so they made a little window. (“Tomcat 205, ball, six three” lol, lie) Any carrier sim should do the same.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Looking forward to the @Requiem videos on take off and landing with each plane. :classic_cool:

I didn’t read anything about wind direction for take off and landing. I’m assuming the carrier heads into the wind?

No, it’s going to head across the wind until you collect 50 sky coins, and at least 15 wildcats, and then you are given a promotion and the carrier will then head into the wind.

——
edit: After pondering my previous post over a drink, I’m sorry I was a jerk, but yes, carriers head into the wind.  I agree, you should definitely seek out that Requiem fellow.

Edited by Sea Serpent

2 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

edit: After pondering my previous post over a drink, I’m sorry I was a jerk, but yes, carriers head into the wind.  I agree, you should definitely seek out that Requiem fellow.

All good lol. I thought it was funny you didn’t have to edit 

At any rate, regarding the Japanese equivalent to the LSO, which is a light system called the chakkan shidoto, we posted a few things on the discord, if some of you wanted to know more. Taken from Parshall and Tully's Shattered Sword and Stefan Draminski's Aircraft carrier Hiryu in Osprey's Anatomy of the ship series.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8