I will await before passing judgment on the landscapes as they have said they are WIP.  Little seems to have been mentioned about MT or AI or anything as well so I'll keep me powder dry for that as well.  Im failing to see what this really offers over DCS or GB at this point though. 

How excted am I right now ?  Not enough to be bothered to click the link. I prefer devs who commincate over devs who stare mysteriously off into the distance when asked a question. 

That may change in time. I felt the same about Stalingrad but enjoyed it very much in the end. 

Sorry @Jason_Williams but the burden of hope seems to be resting very much on your shoulders right now!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

I cannot understand your reactions, Viper and Dauntless. Indeed, the above is a simple and honest question.

They weren’t reacting to you personally, or negatively.  They were using the Confused Emoji, because they are confused by the use of 777 just like you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, golani79 said:

Not gonna buy anything from them anymore.

Well, without 777 Studios I wouldn't have had countless hours of fun with RoF, and without RoF there would be no FC... and if by a miracle RoF was to introduce more stuff I'd buy it and add it to the existing game...

Edited by Trooper117
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Well, without 777 Studios I wouldn't have had countless hours of fun with RoF, and without RoF there would be no FC... and if by a miracle RoF was to introduce more stuff I'd buy it and add it to the existing game...

We don’t fly memories though, and that was then, and this is now.  I had some very good times in RoF too, and just as many in GB, but it’s a whole different landscape from why back when.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

I cannot understand your reactions, Viper and Dauntless. Indeed, the above is a simple and honest question.

777 Studios was Jason’s company.  This is now no more.

1C - 777 Ltd. was formed back in 2012 when 1C partnered with 777 Studios to produce Battle of Stalingrad. They formed 1CGS which actually created the series.

The Great Battles series and Korea belong to 1C - 777 Ltd.

Although it’s registered in Cyprus, 1C - 777 is owned by 1C.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

777 Studios was Jason’s company.  This is now no more.

1C - 777 Ltd. was formed back in 2012 when 1C partnered with 777 Studios to produce Battle of Stalingrad. They formed 1CGS which actually created the series.

The Great Battles series and Korea belong to 1C - 777 Ltd.

Although it’s registered in Cyprus, 1C - 777 is owned by 1C.

Thank you for the clarification DD_Arthur.

• Like 1

Some punters are having a little meltdown over there... refusing to except that things have moved on from WWII for a little bit.

I can't understand their refusal to let others enjoy a new theatre and new aircraft in a different environment and timescale... just moaning that ''all is lost'', ''it's the end of WWII and the game'', sad really...

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Some punters are having a little meltdown over there... refusing to except that things have moved on from WWII for a little bit.

I can't understand their refusal to let others enjoy a new theatre and new aircraft in a different environment and timescale... just moaning that ''all is lost'', ''it's the end of WWII and the game'', sad really...

R.E.M. - It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
https://youtu.be/Z0GFRcFm-aY

Wheels

• Haha 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

34 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

You’re kidding me, right?  I’m shocked to hear that there is fighting going on within such a friendly and agreeable community!  Totally unbelievable!

• Haha 11

Those forums haven't been the same since the last actual adult on the team with any input (Kurt) left last year. 

His last meeting before he jumped ship probably looked something like this....

image.gif.1dc772e50d49af6c49418c3554e7fa97.gif

Can't blame him honestly 😂

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

P51 resized.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

21 minutes ago, Sea Serpent said:

You’re kidding me, right?  I’m shocked to hear that there is fighting going on within such a friendly and agreeable community!  Totally unbelievable!

lol!...  they ain't all bad... it's just unbelievable to see grown ups acting like children who have had their favourite toy taken from them. :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

Those forums haven't been the same since the last actual adult on the team with any input (Kurt) left last year. 

His last meeting before he jumped ship probably looked something like this....

image.gif.1dc772e50d49af6c49418c3554e7fa97.gif

Can't blame him honestly 😂

I knew it was time to di di mau when I got a warning lecture on the proper use of the English language by a Spanish moderator.  And she signed it <Hugs>.  And then shortly after, a 7 day posting suspension,which I didn’t acknowledge, for calling someone childish.  True story.  Leaving was an easy decision because the game itself had been uninstalled since 2022, and in the intervening time, there wasn’t a single thing they released, announced, or announced they were going to announce, including Korea, that would make me change my mind.  They clearly don’t want “my kind” over there, and I don’t want to be there anyway, so everyone is happy.  I like to actually advance in my hobbies, not fall into a rut.  Sometimes it’s just time to move on to greener pastures.  I do like this Combat Pilot forum, but it will change too eventually, when there is an actual product. I’m enjoying it while it’s still largely made up of reasonable adults!

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Sea Serpent said:

I knew it was time to di di mau when I got a warning lecture on the proper use of the English language by a Spanish moderator.  And she signed it <Hugs>.  And then shortly after, a 7 day posting suspension,which I didn’t acknowledge, for calling someone childish.  True story.  Leaving was an easy decision because the game itself had been uninstalled since 2022, and in the intervening time, there wasn’t a single thing they released, announced, or announced they were going to announce, including Korea, that would make me change my mind.  They clearly don’t want “my kind” over there, and I don’t want to be there anyway, so everyone is happy.  I like to actually advance in my hobbies, not fall into a rut.  Sometimes it’s just time to move on to greener pastures.  I do like this Combat Pilot forum, but it will change too eventually, when there is an actual product. I’m enjoying it while it’s still largely made up of reasonable adults!

Similar on my end when I became vocal on the never ending VR issues and then claiming developers had no real interest nor intention to fix things. Apparently, I was spreading falsehoods and misinformation 🙄.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2024 at 3:35 PM, Trooper117 said:

What can I say, as I am part of those who indeed are sad that we go from WWII to Korea with jets etc. There is so much to add, improve on the WWII theater.

The reason I am so happy Jason took the challenge.

All the improvements that they will do on Korea could have been done improving BON. BON is really a major historical events which merits a lot of iterations and improvements. Larger map to the north too.

Others will be very happy about it. After all those jets were still primitive compared to modern fighter jets of today. To the contrary that WWII created the most advanced piston fighters in history. I am not locked in time, but locked to a certain flying and fighting style.

But you see, after all the main problem is the sound and the smell. Kerosene has a different smell that 150 Octane fuel and burned oil. The pounding grave sound of piston engines fueled with testosterone at 150 octane is also another world compared to the mosquito whine of turbines. That big large diameter slashing propeller in front (reminescent of a knights saber), with its personal sound, adding it to the engine one, makes it for a unique deep sound experience (as a spectator mainly). 

There is also speed that is different. The real knights fight type of air battles was WWI, with airplanes that went as fast as a galloping horse, and combats where you could see the white of the eye of your enemy. Then came WWII with higher speed but still allowing for some real knights battle. Then came jets and push-button over the horizon distance kills were you even do not see your enemy. 

The choice is yours. I will stay with mine.

Edited by IckyAtlas
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

But you see, after all the main problem is the sound and the smell. Kerosene has a different smell that 150 Octane fuel…<snip>

Then came WWII with higher speed but still allowing for some real knights battle. Then came jets and push-button over the horizon distance kills were you even do not see your enemy. 

No comment or opinion on where IL-2 should go, because it doesn’t really matter to me.  However, and in fairness, you’re skipping about 25 years of air combat evolution when you act like it goes from chivalrous knights to your bvr warfare.  I’ve done the Sabre v MiG thing in the other sim, and it’s not too different than anything I’ve done in a WW2 sim, maybe incrementally more difficult.  For me, a bigger culture shock came going from WW1 (RoF) to WW2 (GB).  I assume you’re trying to be humorous about the fuel smell.   My computer doesn’t smell anything like gasoline or kerosene when I’m playing, and maybe I’m doing something wrong, but whatever you’re talking about should be a non-issue for most gamers.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

I assume you’re trying to be humorous about the fuel smell.   My computer doesn’t smell anything like gasoline or kerosene when I’m playing, and maybe I’m doing something wrong, but whatever you’re talking about should be a non-issue for most gamers.

Yes there was some humor but only partially as I am a former pilot and flew a certain number of propeller driven airplanes but not jet ones. On the other side I have experimented these sensory inputs nearby running jet engines and piston engines. So when I speak about smell and sound I have experimented a good lot of it, nearside and also for piston ones in the cockpit flying, and jet in the cockpit but on the ground.

I agree with you that all this is of no interest to all those that only fly in sim, and will never experiment this. I only hope that some of you passionate about flying, will get the chance to indeed have the opportunity to have the smell, vibration, sound, heat experience. After a certain number of years you just can't forget it anymore. And I can also tell you that each plane may have it's specific cockpit fragrance 🙂 .

In addition to what I said in the previous post, and to complete the picture, there is also something which is different and that is heat and vibrations. I did not mention it, but in the piston fighters you have the engine just after the firewall in front of you. So you have all the horses in fury in front of you that you have to tame and they pull you, and you get all the heat and vibrations directly as well as a terrible sound level. The piston propeller plane is not really pulled straight, because of the torque and rotating airflow around the fuselage which will make you veer on the ground and by a lot on the taildraggers with powerful engines. So you need good control on power (I simplify here), and rudder to go straight. Jet airplanes which are basically nosewheel have not this issue as they will push you straight in the ass.

The heat and vibrations in the cockpit are not the same with jet engines, which are positioned behind you. Jet engines are rotary, compared to pistons that are alternating, and rpm's are much much higher in jet engines, hence vibrations are at very high frequencies and the feel is completely different and less "thunderous" compared to piston ones. In short a completely different experience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aapje said:

You keep ignoring that IL-2 Korea does in fact feature piston planes.

Yes I know. I mentioned it in a previous post where I said that it was the only feature that maybe would make me buy it. But let's be honest, you won't buy Korea for flying piston engines, but jets, and very nice ones. Here I speak about the beautiful lines and design of the planes, like the Mig 15 and the F-86 Sabre and F-80 Shooting Star. It is however the dusk for piston engine fighters (P51, IL10, Yak9P, B29, Corsair) and the start of the Jet age. But no problem with that. 

Now to be fair you have jet airplanes at the end of WWII but it was a really brief moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IckyAtlas said:

you have jet airplanes at the end of WWII but it was a really brief moment.

And so the wheel turns... if the war had gone on for another couple of years, you can bet your boots there would have been a hell of a lot more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IckyAtlas said:

So you have all the horses in fury in front of you that you have to tame and they pull you

A carburated engine... that like all carburated engines it just hates to ignite and run, and when it does, it comes with thunder and blows fire, blows a huge invisible cloud of lead, bromide and carbodioxide in your cockpit that makes you sick should you be foolish enough to inhale that plume, but it will have that smell... of semi-burned high octane fuel that - together with the shaking a four ton  airframe once it comes alive - will give you a uniqe a very unique and special sense of power that is squelched in all modern things moving.

Just the other day, I started up my 427 cui Stingray and had it run for a minute at 1200 rpm to get ready for a drive. While I was blowing a slightly blueish cloud among the neighborhood, some older guy passing by approached me and said how much le loved that. He was a professional water skier for Greece back in the day and my car just gave him that particlar smell he always had some 50 years ago behind a speed boat. He said he felt like being 20 yers old. 30 years ago with that car, I was an assh*le. 20 years ago, I was a pimp. Now, the cyclists move aside to give me way and watch the car cruising by.

There is something visceral about quasi-burning high octane fuel in a ridiculously overpowered engine.

Every man should fly a Mustang at least once in his life. I am glad and feel blessed being in a position to be able to have my boys turn the keys on a big block engine.

• Like 2