Corsair

59 minutes ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

That looks a lot like wake Island @javelina.

Wheels

Not sure I can fit that with Wake. The image is from Life Magazine but that's as much as I can find out.

Here's a tricky moment: corsairmishap_12_fleet-air-arm-1836nas-c

A hard landing aboard HMS Smiter has mangled the landing gear leg of this Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Corsair II. The wear pattern on the forward portion of the wing at the root is caused by mechanics servicing the engine and was commonly seen on Corsairs. (Imperial War Museum)

Found the pic here: Inch High Guy – Scale Modeling and Military History (wordpress.com) Lots of interesting stuff on the site.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Chief_Mouser said:

Not sure I can fit that with Wake. The image is from Life Magazine but that's as much as I can find out.

Here's a tricky moment: corsairmishap_12_fleet-air-arm-1836nas-c

A hard landing aboard HMS Smiter has mangled the landing gear leg of this Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Corsair II. The wear pattern on the forward portion of the wing at the root is caused by mechanics servicing the engine and was commonly seen on Corsairs. (Imperial War Museum)

Found the pic here: Inch High Guy – Scale Modeling and Military History (wordpress.com) Lots of interesting stuff on the site.

Hope that ole boy didn't get his fingers crushed.  Looks like he's holding on to the top of that canopy frame awful hard.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chief_Mouser said:

Here's a tricky moment:

Yowzaa!!

• Like 4

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

7 hours ago, Calos_01 said:

excellent balance🙂

Fleet-Air-Arm-Corsair-MkII-White-Y13x-taken-during-landing-mishap-01.jpg

Mmmmm... not in balance my friend, not in my opinion. On the lower left corner in this photo... is the arresting wire on levitation, suspended in the air? Or is it blurred on the photograph because that latter had been taken while the aircraft was tumbling over the arresting net?

Other than that: thank you Calos, thank you guys, for all of this historical stuff. 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

These are some truly awesome photos being posted here! The big question is whether the acrobatic aspects of landing a Corsair on a carrier will be properly modeled in CP.... 🤔🤪🫡

Edited by Major Lee
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

A few photos of an F4U in action from the Quonset Point, Rhode Island Airshow of 2018. Unfortunately, Quonset Point is no longer hosting their annual show. What a loss- it was very well attended and the place I first saw the F-22 and F-35 give demonstrations. 

Img_7377d_18_F4U.jpg

Img_7465d_18_P51D_F4U.jpg

Img_7456d_18_F4U_P51D.jpg

Img_7372c_18_F4U.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Rjel said:

I didn't see this video posted here. If it is, my apologies.

The pilot never had a chance.

The report at the end of the second vid I have posted below said that it is believed that the pilot lost the stick during the initial thrust of the catapult and that he was unable to retrieve it in time to regain control.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Talisman said:

The report at the end of the second vid I have posted below said that it is believed that the pilot lost the stick during the initial thrust of the catapult and that he was unable to retrieve it in time to regain control.

Happy landings,

Talisman

I read that too. I kinda hope the poor guy lost consciousness during the takeoff. That snap roll looked vicious. There wouldn’t appear to be anything he could’ve done to recover from it. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Major Lee said:

Thanks.  That put a smile on my face.  A very big smile indeed.  :classic_biggrin:

I notice that the pilot seems to sit high, even while flying.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 5

DM7HOFdX4AAVAv7.thumb.jpg.602cfbd602bb34d9b478acc1b8a9db6d.jpg

• Like 5

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control