The Case For A Guadalcanal Campaign

Boom

On 5/1/2024 at 2:16 PM, Chief_Mouser said:

1300 x 750 miles (2080 x 1200 km) should do it 😁 and it would need several versions for its timeline. It would need rather a large mapping team, and what happens if making something like that on the Unreal engine is just too much for the humble PC to run?

I think that if a maps contains a lot of water, it should be possible to make it much bigger, since water is very generic.

• Like 4

Obviously we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves with Midway still quite a ways off, but I'm also VERY excited for a Guadalcanal campaign in a flight sim some day. Lots of cool scenery to fly over and lots of fun aircraft! I'd absolutely LOVE flying some of the Cactus Air Force P-39s/P-400s!

• Like 3

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

Posted (edited)

New Guinea or Guadalcanal, are both good follow-on scenarios. We can put in IJA aircraft.

I hope Jason makes a couple of non-historical multi-player maps with islands the Midway IJN plane set can operate from. I'm pretty sure they will get tired of looking for their carriers after awhile. If anyone remembers Pacific Fighters, they'll understand what I'm talking about. That will help keep everyone from getting bored while waiting for their next iteration.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like 3

Semper Fortis __ Semper Anticus

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

New Guinea or Guadalcanal, are both good follow-on scenarios. We can put in IJA aircraft.

I hope Jason makes a couple of non-historical multi-player maps with islands the Midway IJN plane set can operate from. I'm pretty sure they will get tired of looking for their carriers after awhile. If anyone remembers Pacific Fighters, they'll understand what I'm talking about. That will help keep everyone from getting bored while waiting for their next iteration.

Good shout, a couple of fictional maps (but naturally-inspired!) would do well to tide folk over and shouldn't require the same depth of research as 1:1 accurate scenarios.

• Like 4

I've done a Guadalcanal campaign before, and I would love to do a new one. With that said, the map would have to extend from Guadalcanal all the way to Rabaul unless you want to have all the Japanese planes making air starts. I guess you could use some smaller airfields in the Solomons, or have them launch from carriers near Bougainville but it wouldn't really be accurate. If the entire Solomons Islands chain and New Britain were on the same map, it would be awesome because you could do a Jolly Rogers tour 1 and 2 and a VF-9 Navy Hellcat campaign on the same map. There is a huge amount of potential on a map like that. 

• Like 3

On 5/11/2024 at 4:13 AM, Leifr said:

Good shout, a couple of fictional maps (but naturally-inspired!) would do well to tide folk over and shouldn't require the same depth of research as 1:1 accurate scenarios.

Knowing how Jason works, I doubt you will see any fictional maps. Maybe a smaller historical isolated island as multiplayer a playground.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jägermeister said:

Knowing how Jason works, I doubt you will see any fictional maps. Maybe a smaller historical isolated island as multiplayer a playground.

Hawaii fits the bill for MP and has the obvious benefit of opening a Pearl scenario. The map would be roughly as small as 200 x 100 miles up to 450 x 300 miles with considerably varied terrain. There are numerous historical airfields throughout the chain. It should be easy to add both air starts and maybe a couple of fictional airfields for airquakers and what if'ers. It was a great MP map to play on in Il2 '46.

• Like 3

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

20 hours ago, Boba Fett said:

Hawaii fits the bill for MP and has the obvious benefit of opening a Pearl scenario. The map would be roughly as small as 200 x 100 miles up to 450 x 300 miles with considerably varied terrain. There are numerous historical airfields throughout the chain. It should be easy to add both air starts and maybe a couple of fictional airfields for airquakers and what if'ers. It was a great MP map to play on in Il2 '46.

Has there been any discussion on having mods posts with a different colour....like the other place 🙂  ?

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

Do you seriously care what font color the moderators post in?

For me what is important is that the moderator dresses properly when moderating.

It is a major responsibility. He has godlike powers. So he should be dressed accordingly.

Here below a picture of what I consider proper dressing for this function:

Godlike.thumb.jpg.8658b6f37529fd5321ca33b7f3d6b2ca.jpg

Sorry, I digress.....

Edited by IckyAtlas
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2