Controller setup GUI

would agree as well

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yes!

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS \ Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler \ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3192mhz \ SBlasterX G6 \ 2TB NvMe M.2 Boot Drive \ Zotac GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 555.85 drivers \ 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz Gsync \ Win11 Pro Ver. 23H2 - Build 22631.3737 \ TIR 5 \ Warthog HOTAS  with VirPil stick base \ MFG V3 Pedals \ TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs \ Simgears ICP \ Varjo Aero VR

Whatever path the devs will choose about cockpit clickability or lack thereof, at least having the option for separate mappings for individual planes is a must in my book. It was the biggest imrovement GB series introduced last year.

In DCS I tend to assign buttons and switches in a similar way as they are on the real plane and I'd love to be able to do the same in CP. The famous cannons trigger on the throttle lever of the Zero is a primary example. I hope I'll be able to map it to my Warthog throttle as well, with MGs operated by joystick.

• Like 3

For DCS I use a third party utility Joypro. I have a lot of aircraft and I often redesign my button box locations, so this works well as I can map a control once in Joypro and it applies across all aircraft or just some as I wish.

Whilst it is brilliant I think it is a little daunting so I wouldn't suggest it as a standard method for all.

I am not sure how different the controls are likely to be for the aircraft here and we shouldn't have the complexity of modern jets. What might be worthwhile is a generic controls mapping option which then is the default for all aircraft which can be overridden individually.

At the very least we need to be able to map multiple buttons etc. to a control.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pabsty said:

I like the feature in DCS when you push the joystick button, it hops to the keybind in the menu. That way you can quickly check your keybinds if it's been a while or you've been playing some other sims.

Yes that is awesome - I use it quite often, many times before a flight just to re-familiarize myself on my button assignments if I have not flown that aircraft in a while.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yes that is awesome - I use it quite often, many times before a flight just to re-familiarize myself on my button assignments if I have not flown that aircraft in a while.

Yes, BMS's Alternative launcher behaves the same way...

• Like 1

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS \ Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler \ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3192mhz \ SBlasterX G6 \ 2TB NvMe M.2 Boot Drive \ Zotac GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 555.85 drivers \ 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz Gsync \ Win11 Pro Ver. 23H2 - Build 22631.3737 \ TIR 5 \ Warthog HOTAS  with VirPil stick base \ MFG V3 Pedals \ TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs \ Simgears ICP \ Varjo Aero VR

Yes! I would love to have both a listed system, for each aircraft separate.

Also, icing on the cake would be external launcher.

LuftManu's official Youtube Channel  //// Escuadrón Virtual Santiago (Spanish Virtual Squadron)

Intel 13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO Z790 | GIGABYTE 4080 Gaming OC| 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 |  Asus ROG Ryou III 360| Corsair Platinum Hx1500i 

As many others voiced, a global controls setup would be very limiting. I don’t have DCS, so I don’t know its system, but I like how iRacing does it. 
The first time you assign controllers, it becomes the “global base” for every other assignment afterwards, during which you click a checkbox that says “use custom controls for this car”. That way, you wouldn’t  have to assign axes that would be the same for all aircraft (pitch, roll, yaw, etc.) every time you’re setting up for a new aircraft.

Edited by kissTheSky
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Strongly agree to use the DCS model for control setups - to include modifiers if possible. IL-2 GB method of grouping controls is also useful. WW2 aircraft are not going to be as complicated as later jets, but engine controls are usually more complicated and need more axes (P-38 for example, 2 x throttle, 2 x props, 2 x mixtures, plus any radiator controls, or even turbo).

Good support for encoders (Virpil, etc). Also different types of toggle switches, as most in aircraft are not momentary, but most on controllers are.

No (or high) limit on number of peripherals - a high end rig will have a lot (I have 2 sticks, two throttles, a collective, and two panels/button boxes all hooked up at all times, but have to disconnect the collective for IL-2. Irritating.

Strong support for VR. Ideally something like MSFS, where you can jump in and out of VR mid game with a keystroke. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vulture said:

Strongly agree to use the DCS model for control setups - to include modifiers if possible. IL-2 GB method of grouping controls is also useful. WW2 aircraft are not going to be as complicated as later jets, but engine controls are usually more complicated and need more axes (P-38 for example, 2 x throttle, 2 x props, 2 x mixtures, plus any radiator controls, or even turbo).

Good support for encoders (Virpil, etc). Also different types of toggle switches, as most in aircraft are not momentary, but most on controllers are.

No (or high) limit on number of peripherals - a high end rig will have a lot (I have 2 sticks, two throttles, a collective, and two panels/button boxes all hooked up at all times, but have to disconnect the collective for IL-2. Irritating.

Strong support for VR. Ideally something like MSFS, where you can jump in and out of VR mid game with a keystroke. 

^^^THIS!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This one is pretty important to me.  It's not that I need full fidelity click pits with every switch something I can bind.  IL-2's modeling was good enough for me for WW2 era, but I don't like the one size fits all control scheme at all.  Profile switching offered an improvement but it puts the onus on me to understand what bindings work with what planes.

DCS is not the only example.  Falcon BMS, while limited in plane selection, has separate pages for binding axis and buttons.  The axis page ignores button inputs.  The button page ignores axis inputs.

What puts DCS ahead in the control department, while having many more buttons available to assign for most of it's aircraft.,  only controls that are available to the aircraft I'm flying are listed.  I don't have to figure out which controls apply to an F-16C or which controls apply to an F/A-18 Hornet.    If we're talking IL-2 style controls, this equates to smaller lists of controls per airframe as well as eliminating the need to think about double bound controls for those of us with lots of buttons, axes and switches. 

I think for a WW2 sim like we've been used to since 2014, having a drop down menu that instead of individual planes included all variants would be a huge step up.  Like if IL-2 had a dropdown menu for "BF-109s" that only included controls that apply to BF-109 variants, a page for assigning only button inputs that ignores any axis inputs, and a page for assigning axis inputs, that ignores button input.. that would make for a less tedious, and even a more newcomer friendly experience, especially as more aircraft get added to the arsenal.   P-51 dropdown includes only controls for all P-51 variants, La-5 for all La-5 variants, etc.  

• Like 4