DCS and DCS WWII

Those aircraft seem an odd choice to receive the generic, clickless, Flaming Cliffs treatment, since the full fidelity versions are already notable for having a very gentle learning curve.  I would have rather seen effort directed toward updating the existing FF modules than making downgraded casual versions, but clearly they’re trying to increase their share of the “start with E”  market that I normally think of with IL-2.  I hope most MP servers go with one or the other, but not both versions simultaneously.  

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many people who like flight sim are always bitching for more “immersion.”  So in the F-5E, you have to tell the ground crew to connect the generator, and the air unit, and then go through a simple start sequence.  You have like three modes of gunsight, and you select launch pylons by an on/off switch.  Full Fidelity, quelle horreur. 

edit: I say no to more generically-controlled, more simplified style of airplanes.  I have FC3 and I play around with them occasionally.  It’s great for aircraft like the modern-ish Sukhois and MiGs that wouldn’t otherwise be in DCS at all.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 2

Life is full of choices.  Regardless, if it works for folks looking for a more simple flight sim bird, fine.

I'm pretty hard core for wanting details, so I'd make a hard pass on these 3 modules.  (I have them all already in the full fidelity versions).

Agreed Sea S.  Seems strange for their initial selection, you'd think they would've introduced something new.  But then again, this is probably a quick turn for them (revenue and hopefully new users).

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I think this is what came out of MAC (Modern Air Combat) that was announced six years ago, but got MIA soon afterwards. At the time MiG-21bis was also listed (I guess Magnitude said no), as well as L-39.

• Like 2

Wags/ED put out a statement on Discord:

I’ve been keeping an eye on this discussion and one of the points I see raised repeatedly is that we changed our mind about new FC3 aircraft. We did indeed. We’ve been developing several existing DCS-level aircraft with a much shallower learning curve to serve as the foundation to a new IP focused on a more relaxed flight game. Over the past months though, we’ve concluded that now is not the time to create a new IP that is separate from DCS. We’ve announced this today and the change in plans. Rather than dig in our heels on a previous decision, we’ve decided it makes more sense to roll most of these aircraft into a new iteration of the FC series. We understand that the FC series is not for everyone, but rather focused on new players and those looking for a more relaxed game with a much shallower learning curve. For now, we’ve shelved MAC, but it is not dead. There is great potential in such a product, but it would need to take a different from what we originally planned to be successful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I guess I washed out of F-15 school once again, so I'm back to the lowly Mirage F1:

MF1-fr1.thumb.jpg.95672d78a8018306abd3054377943604.jpg

Miragelow1.thumb.jpg.e55dafb11e97eef7c673a3b7dc0cd980.jpg

This is an unbelievably cool aircraft, my very favorite in a long time.  It might not be the best combat aircraft of the universe, but it's definitely one of the nicest jets to fly that I've seen. The learning curve is pretty gentle, imho. It's third generation, but it has some really nice more modern things, like a velocity vector dot, and an autopilot you might see on an airliner.  

hs101.thumb.jpg.fadcddbf7dff0e75fc5f8e34915b4162.jpg

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That really tempts me to get that one as well. So far, I mostly spend time with the Mirage 2000 that I find both relatively accessible and a fun aircraft to fly, although the situational awareness beyond arms lenght is relatively limited. But slinging long range missiles at each other I find less rewarding than sneaking in up close. (When that works out.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

finally got the download, (took a bit of waiting for google).  will try her out soon.

• Thanks 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Literally 2 weeks!  oh the irony...  😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

I wish my DCS looked that good! 

Yeah .. I'm flying less and less .. if I'd crank up the settings to make it look that good I'd probably play with 10-20fps 😅

Could use a new rig since my CPU is still from 2016 😅

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

...and I might add, I probably won't start flying it until any problems are ironed out and there is a ton of training videos on how to get the best out of it. :salute:

hmmm.... you, like me...  I'll bind up the basic axis settings, and then go on a free flight...   gotta do it! 

I'll then be hunting down the initial training video's...  and hope that Chuck got an advance copy so he's got a jump start on his guide for it...  😃

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

...and I might add, I probably won't start flying it until any problems are ironed out and there is a ton of training videos on how to get the best out of it. :salute:

Dont be a wuss.  I was browsing through the manual today, and this plane has traditional instruments and fairly straightforward switchology.  I don’t think the learning curve will be too bad, even in the back seat.

The F-14 was easy to learn in the front seat, but difficult in the back seat, to me, in part because we can’t fly the thing from the back seat, except through the Iceman Wheel.  I was always lagging behind the interface.  Maybe I’m just making excuses because I didn’t really feel like learning the back seat?  Still, being able to actually fly the plane from the back seat, point it where you want it, and operate the radar, is going to be a big learning tool, I think.  But, even so, this radar is no AWG-9 in the Tomcat.  Mortal beings might actually be able to operate the Phantom’s radar.

I also look forward to Jester 2, not only for the F-4, but also F-14.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

Dont be a wuss.

I'm still getting to grips with the Huey at the moment, and I want to get a couple of campaigns under my belt with that, so I certainly won't be interrupting that curve... The F-4 will still be in my hanger, all shiny and new,  because when I start training on it it will get all my attention for quite a long time I suspect.

• Like 3