Game play

Dpalma

15 hours ago, Dpalma said:

My biggest thing I look for in a flight sim or dog fight sim is the damage model. I personally think the more more realistic the damage the more immersed you get. 

It's very important. It takes away from the realism (and coolness) if it's the same kind of damage, no matter where you get hit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I think damage model is very important, and I think IL2 Cliffs of Dover/Desert Wings probably does it best of all of the flight sims I've played.

Even more is the AI flight model. If AI is not acting realistically, it detracts from the entire experience. That's something IL2 Cliffs of Dover/Desert Wings doesn't do well at as AI planes fly defensively like a spinning roller coaster or pinwheel. It's just unrealistic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Flight model > Ballistics Model > Damage Model

The m2 fifty cal is an incredible weapon; I know, I had one for 16 months at Fort Benning, as TC on an M113. Anybody else fire one? Getting the DM correct is predicated on getting the ballistics correct. I'm wondering if they will model the various ammo types historically available for the M2.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Major Lee said:

I had one for 16 months at Fort Benning, as TC on an M113

Even though we enjoy playing war games there are waaaay too many military abbreviations to remember them all, especially if you never served. 😎

According to Google that is the Track Commander position on the M113?

Wheels

• Thanks 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2024 at 11:27 PM, Major Lee said:

I'm wondering if they will model the various ammo types historically available for the M2.

Mmmmmm.......API! :pilotfly:

• Like 5

Can we get API for the US .50's.......please?

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Decent AI > Realistic numbers of aircraft in missions 👍

Frankly, I'd much rather see a densely packed sky full of idiots in an immersive campaign, than the perfect ai that the engine can only support a few units of in an instant action mission..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

• 4 weeks later...

My grandfather was a ww2 pilot ..He told me a few stories over the years. He was pretty quite person though and exp about the war. He was based in Pearl and flew the Grumman Hellcat. He said the plane felt so heavy and slow in the air but was fast and felt like a tank and he felt safe in it. He never shot anyone down or got into combat but was on many patrols. He could still smell the gas burning in the engines. One thing i wanted to put out here was something he told me that stood out. He said his friends who did go into combat told him that the sounds of enemy planes being hit with rounds took a second to hear. And that the pilots would have to burst and listen for contact. I thought that was pretty cool to know. Maybe something to add to the game. He also talked about engine sputtering off and on at times but never had a problem. And also he said depending on the aircraft, they would fatigue pilots out quickly, like jetlag but 10x worse.  If i can remember anything else ill post it...Thanks for this forum. 

• Like 5