Discussion of Interview with Enigma

Jason_Williams

A great interview. Following the development process of a flight sim is nearly as interesting for me as actually playing it.

I hope Jason will give us more detailed insights into the work of the team in the future. As someone who works a lot with GIS, I am especially interested how the creation of maps for Combat Pilot works.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Juri_JS said:

A great interview. Following the development process of a flight sim is nearly as interesting for me as actually playing it.

I hope Jason will give us more detailed insights into the work of the team in the future. As someone who works a lot with GIS, I am especially interested how the creation of maps for Combat Pilot works.

Thanks to Enigma and Jason for share with us their thoughts about the actual work on the project and the vision for the future.

S!!

16959695228365592213459121323331.jpg

• Like 1

I am really excited hearing so much good news about what's gonna be a great flight sim! I wish a lot of good luck to the Combat Pilot team on the development! 😄

• Like 1

CPU i7-9700k // GPU RTX 2070 Super (1440p 60/75Hz) // RAM 32GB DDR4-3600 // MoBo Z390 
HOTAS VKB Gladiator NXT EVO w/ GNX THQ ''Messerschmitt'' Throttle

Im not going to go back and re-listen to what was actually said, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t say that SP would be less important than MP, or somehow neglected, he just said that MP would be important.  It was something like, MP is where people really push the envelope of planes (because it’s much more difficult), so it’s the ultimate test of the fidelity of their modeling, or something to that effect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

1 hour in now. 

Couple of extra questions. I heard mention that Multiplayer and Servers will be a focus. I know this is a contentious issue, a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it, but I love stats. Love them! 😂

Years ago, I used to play on the Warclouds Server in the original IL2 and they had a superb custom stats system called T.A.R.G.E.T 

Rather than repost what I asked of Clod, here is a link which shows the type of stats it could record (percentage of bullets fired, percentage hit, how many targets destroyed, etc, etc). 

Will Combat Pilot put in place either in game or as a tool set for servers, a detailed way of recording multiple options of stats, long term so that each time a player returns their records continue? 

@Enigmaone point I heard you make was that Multiplayer is more popular. Sadly the facts show that offline has 4x as man users than online, so focusing on Multiplayer is a quick way to reduce potential revenue. I like both, but the figures don't lie.

Jason, you mention third parties working with the team and that you are open to this... I know TFS were approached previously and a couple of modellers are or have helped out from the team, do you see TFS as a possible third party in the future, or maybe just part of it? 

Final question, the Ai. Have you heard back from Buddeye who created the amazing Ai for BoBII:WoV? 

Thanks for the interview both of you. Really interesting so far 👍

MP makes ppl talk about game and look alive, if SP is 4x or more ppl how come hes doing interview with MP guy, where are SP guys... in this day and age especialy in combat sims MP is where game is talked about online... But from what is said its long long time before we even start to think about SP campaigns or MP dynamic servers, it seams if things go ok we gona get Zero and Wildcat and thats it for first 1-2 year

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CountZero said:

MP makes ppl talk about game and look alive, if SP is 4x or more ppl how come hes doing interview with MP guy, where are SP guys... in this day and age especialy in combat sims MP is where game is talked about online... But from what is said its long long time before we even start to think about SP campaigns or MP dynamic servers, it seams if things go ok we gona get Zero and Wildcat and thats it for first 1-2 year

There is a balance, MP is all very well and good, and I can see the draw of it, and is a great way of measuring how popular the game is, and is probably a stronger test of the flight models etc. But I guess it comes down to what you find attractive in a flight sim, personally, i'm a SP guy, for its immersion. MP for me feels just like a bit of a laugh and not really proper simulation, as you aren't simulating squadron dynamics, or taking part in specific battles etc.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, tattywelshie said:

There is a balance, MP is all very well and good, and I can see the draw of it, and is a great way of measuring how popular the game is, and is probably a stronger test of the flight models etc. But I guess it comes down to what you find attractive in a flight sim, personally, i'm a SP guy, for its immersion. MP for me feels just like a bit of a laugh and not really proper simulation, as you aren't simulating squadron dynamics, or taking part in specific battles etc.

You get that in MP in SEOW in Il-2 1946 or other events like ACG in Clod had, 1-2 mission per week, good preparation , with players who play as mutch to it like it was flow in ww2, but for that you need to have good Mission Builder, capacity for 100+ players, fredom of choice in MODS and realisam settings, good net for planty of ground units, and so on... we didnt see mutch of it in GB as it was limited in most important stuff... great visuals, 99% FM/DM for that is not so important... thats why you still have ppl flying old IL-2 for that expiriance and new game MP is just fast food fighter and stats farming game, giving MP bad rep.

So if this game again make focus on as realistic airplanes but dont give options to have big battles and fredom to comunity , MP will again be just mindless shootemup WT, GB or DCS is.

When you look todays MP its easy to se why player would play SP even with poor AI and no teamwork posible, its not skill problem its better WW2 exiriance you get in SP.

Edited by CountZero
  • Like 2

My problem with SP (in GB and RoF) is that it quickly becomes too easy.  If others’ experience is like mine, people become the top ace of the entire theater in SP career, and then they go into MP thinking they are going to clean house, only to get butchered for the first six months!  My willingness to play SP careers or campaigns would be based on the believability and challenge of AI enemies and wingmen.  Aside from a brief career mode in RoF, which quickly became stale, I never did SP again for anything other than the warm-up Quick mission.  Nothing could beat flying with wingmen that you are actually communicating with, watching each others backs, pissing each other off, patting each other on the back, and bullshitting for a few minutes on comms after a good flight, over a beer.  To me, that’s more “immersive”, than flying around with a bunch of inept drones representing some historic unit organization and command structure.  MP really forced me to up my game.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sea Serpent said:

My problem with SP (in GB and RoF) is that it quickly becomes too easy.  If others’ experience is like mine, people become the top ace of the entire theater in SP career, and then they go into MP thinking they are going to clean house, only to get butchered for the first six months!  My willingness to play SP careers or campaigns would be based on the believability and challenge of AI enemies and wingmen.  Aside from a brief career mode in RoF, which quickly became stale, I never did SP again for anything other than the warm-up Quick mission.  Nothing could beat flying with wingmen that you are actually communicating with, watching each others backs, pissing each other off, patting each other on the back, and bullshitting for a few minutes on comms after a good flight, over a beer.  To me, that’s more “immersive”, than flying around with a bunch of inept drones representing some historic unit organization and command structure.  MP really forced me to up my game.

That's why one of my questions was about Buddeye 😁

• Like 1

I always enjoy these sorts of communication between the community and developers, definitely worth a listen as they are usually very interesting and revealing.:classic_cool: 

Thank you very much to those who put the interview together, really appreciated. :cheers:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions
11 hours ago, GrungyMonkey said:

Are there any plans for a Japanese language release?

I would find it cool, and some of my friends don't speak English.

I would love to localize into Japanese. Not against that. 

Jason

• Like 5

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions
3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Quite a contrast to the inept, piss-poor PR/marketing at 1C.

Nice job Jason.

Thanks Gambit. For the sake of the genre let’s hope they figure out how to right the ship over there.

People have taken exception to stuff I’ve done and said in the past and the angry mob has come for me before so I know what it feels like, but I will just watch this from a distance. Let’s not use the Combat Pilot forum or Discord become a space to bash 1CGS. We currently have the luxury of not having to defend a product cause we don’t have one yet. Talking is the easy part. We must also remember to be tolerant of each other and try to be civil and not so tribal. Just makes life a pain in the ass and life is short.

Jason

• Like 17

18 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

1 hour in now. 

Couple of extra questions. I heard mention that Multiplayer and Servers will be a focus. I know this is a contentious issue, a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it, but I love stats. Love them! 😂

Years ago, I used to play on the Warclouds Server in the original IL2 and they had a superb custom stats system called T.A.R.G.E.T 

Rather than repost what I asked of Clod, here is a link which shows the type of stats it could record (percentage of bullets fired, percentage hit, how many targets destroyed, etc, etc). 

Will Combat Pilot put in place either in game or as a tool set for servers, a detailed way of recording multiple options of stats, long term so that each time a player returns their records continue? 

@Enigmaone point I heard you make was that Multiplayer is more popular. Sadly the facts show that offline has 4x as man users than online, so focusing on Multiplayer is a quick way to reduce potential revenue. I like both, but the figures don't lie.

Jason, you mention third parties working with the team and that you are open to this... I know TFS were approached previously and a couple of modellers are or have helped out from the team, do you see TFS as a possible third party in the future, or maybe just part of it? 

Final question, the Ai. Have you heard back from Buddeye who created the amazing Ai for BoBII:WoV? 

Thanks for the interview both of you. Really interesting so far 👍

In one of the '46 servers you could type into the chat window "show hit percentage" or conversely "show my awesome hit percentage" (or something to that effect) and it would show the world your accuracy. I think it was SoF/SoV It was pretty funny and a little cheeky.

• Haha 2

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

3 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Thanks Gambit. For the sake of the genre let’s hope they figure out how to right the ship over there.

People have taken exception to stuff I’ve done and said in the past and the angry mob has come for me before so I know what it feels like, but I will just watch this from a distance. Let’s not use the Combat Pilot forum or Discord become a space to bash 1CGS. We currently have the luxury of not having to defend a product cause we don’t have one yet. Talking is the easy part. We must also remember to be tolerant of each other and try to be civil and not so tribal. Just makes life a pain in the ass and life is short.

Jason

This attitude will put me out of a job 🙂

• Haha 8

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

14 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

I agree that SP can be too easy, but MP can be too hard. I like the idea of MP because it brings many of us together, but it's unrealistic. With the experience level of many of the MP players, it's as if you're fighting against a sky full of Hans-Joachim Marseilles'. I also don't like AI in SP that always knows exactly where you're at and maneuvers in relation to you. I like what some describe as the "glitch" in CloD/DW where the enemy disengages after a fight, flies home, and doesn't maneuver again until you pull the trigger behind them. 

• Like 2

@Jason_Williams

At this early stage, what thoughts are there to audio for the Sim? 

Will be looking at audio replication or is there a possibility (for at least some) of true audio samples? 

I replaced a digital sample in Cliffs of Dover with an audio sample in a small test clip for Cliffs of Dover.... well, you can see the difference 

• Like 7

Big thank you Jason and Enigma.  Brilliant!  :salute:

One of the great things I like about Jason is that he treats customers exceptionally well and this endears loyalty and trust, as well as a good community spirit and a keen following.  In this respect he puts other developers in the shade.

And, of course, Jason knows his onions!  

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 2