Japanese Aircraft

CP_Admin

• Administrators

Dear Pilots,

Feel free to share any information, resources or references about Japanese aircraft that fought in the Pacific Theater 1941-1945. We have quite a few good references, but could always use more as info and detail about Japanese equipment is less well-known or documented. If you happen to speak Japanese fluently, please reach out, we will need help in this area.

Thanks in advance!

The Combat Pilot Team

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I used to have an extensive collection of Japanese aircraft data culled from a ton of sources but I lost it all when my SSD went belly up. That being said I am now fired up to go out and seek as much data as I can to help you guys! I have often read, on other forums, that there is no useful technical info available on Japanese aircraft and this is just not true. You just have to dig for it. I believe you will be seeing me post here quite often in the future as anything I can do help this project along is worth the effort.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Props said:

I used to have an extensive collection of Japanese aircraft data culled from a ton of sources but I lost it all when my SSD went belly up. That being said I am now fired up to go out and seek as much data as I can to help you guys! I have often read, on other forums, that there is no useful technical info available on Japanese aircraft and this is just not true. You just have to dig for it. I believe you will be seeing me post here quite often in the future as anything I can do help this project along is worth the effort.

I had a 2TB hard drive that was almost full of IL-2 content go belly up in March so I feel the pain. 🫤

Wheels

• Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

I have a quite a large range of books on Japanese aircraft and the Pacific air war. Am more than happy to help in any way.

Also it's well worthwhile to join https://j-aircraft.com/  This site is the home of the most knowledgeable folks on anything to do with Japan's Pacific war. They cover both air and sea. And there are several well known authors and historians who are active members, all happy to share their knowledge.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

I visited the Pima Air Museum in Tucson, Arizona today and saw they have a Ki-43-IIb Oscar there on display

Pima Air museum is great! I lived in Tucson for a short while some years back and went there several times. It's a shame they don't get as much funding as they deserve because they have a really cool selection of aircraft.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Props said:

It's a shame they don't get as much funding as they deserve

Unless they have a rich benefactor all nonprofit air museums have funding issues, especially those with WW2 themes.  It took Sam Walmart to save Paul Allen's FHCAM museum. Another issue is that most veterans of WW2 have passed away or are infirm and most of the younger generations, at least in the USA, knows practically nothing about the era.

Wheels

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 1:59 PM, Props said:

That’s true until it isn’t anymore. It’s never been “no” technical data, but a question of enough technical data. Also depends on what aircraft we’re talking about. 

For instance, let us know what you dig up on the N1K that hasn’t already been dug up.  🙂

Edited by Gambit21

On 5/29/2023 at 10:59 AM, wheelsup_cavu said:

Unless they have a rich benefactor all nonprofit air museums have funding issues, especially those with WW2 themes.  It took Sam Walmart to save Paul Allen's FHCAM museum. Another issue is that most veterans of WW2 have passed away or are infirm and most of the younger generations, at least in the USA, knows practically nothing about the era.

Wheels

Yes, I was so surprised to learn that Paul Allen had created this amazing museum but left it financially unprepared for his passing. So glad that someone stepped in to save it, but was surprised such a rescue was necessary. 

• Like 2

There is a intact and restored Mitsubishi KI46 Dinah twin engine reconnaissance aircraft in the RAF Cosford museum which is quite close to where I live. Im sure that you already have pictures etc.. but happy to go over and take more if you need specific areas photographed. Not sure they will let me have access to the cockpit but you never know. Im not even sure if this aircraft will feature as part of your planned aircraft for the game.

TP_Bunster

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Until after WW2, most government documents were in Classical Japanese. Classical Japanese is based on Japanese from the Heian period, making it roughly equivalent to Old English.

I've seen some posters say Japanese has changed a lot since WW2, but that's not true. If you adjust for some writing reforms, the Japanese in general use back then is completely understandable.

But for documents in Classical, imagine reading government documents written in Old English:

"Syððan ærest wearð feasceaft funden, he þæs frofre gebad, weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah, oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra ofer hronrade hyran scolde, gomban gyldan."

If any documents are in normal Japanese, this isn't an issue. 

Just thought I'd explain all the rumors that float around about wartime Japanese.

Edited by GrungyMonkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

this is cool, hopefully the link works.  Colorized, showing IJN A/C...

• Like 5

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control