July 20th, 1969

javelina

I remember watching this as a kid, on our B&W TV.  Seeing Neal step down from the Lunar module.  An incredible moment

F1fN2ysaEAkIovb.jpg

• Like 12

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Just a little bit too young to remember that event as it happened live but I do seem to remember seeing the Apollo 13 mission forward as they happened. The Lunar lander missions are the ones where I was finally old enough to really understand their significance and be certain that I have true memories and not necessarily false memories created by viewing the events at a much later date.

Wheels

• Like 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

I was 3 at the time and I do remember this. 

I remember my Dad waking me up, taking me downstairs to the sofa where at 4am UK time, Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon. 

I find it hard to believe I remember it but he said to me "Just remember this as it will be one of the most historic events ever seen" (or very similar words). 

At such a young age I didn't understand why I had been woken up, why I was looking at the fuzzy black and white image on the TV perched on a chair in the corner of the room and to be honest I don't remember hearing anything Armstrong said, but I did see it and do remember seeing history thanks to my Dad. 

Cheers, Mysticpuma. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 9:47 AM, Mysticpuma said:

was 3 at the time and I do remember this. 

I remember my Dad waking me up, taking me downstairs to the sofa where at 4am UK time, Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon. 

Yeah my father did the same. He woke up all in order to witness it. I was 3,5 years old when it happened. I had no idea about the significance, to me it was another man on the moon. And I remember it was fun to actually see him on tv

• Like 3

And here, Neil, Michael Collins, and Buzz Aldrin about to be picked up (July 24th, 1969)

F1vhiKUXgAA-JZF.png

• Like 6

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

this is pretty cool:   https://apolloinrealtime.org/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Apollo 11 crew having to "declare" with US customs...  Moon rock and Moon dust....  🙂

uscustoms1969.thumb.jpg.7d165fa589360b75144a7ca78a3335c3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also from his Twitter:

A Corvette was seemingly standard issue for astronauts. Amazing how my 427 would look next to a NASA vehicle.

image.thumb.png.6376abf0aa9a33d23c031e644ea4ef6e.png

I am not so sure about the black though. Just spent a couple of thousand bucks on „Riverside Gold“ to get some nicks out of the original paint and had I ordered the black detail, I would sure have earned a certain look from the painter.

Fun fact: the color on these cars is a single layer, there is no clear on top of it. But the plastic below it requires several layers of undercoat, as humidity will get through from the inside. If you ever have to fix a paintjob on such a car (good luck to you!) you cannot just sand off defective areas and use regular car paint on it, it will come off in blisters over time. Also, you cannot just redo the whole paint by peeling it off with lye, your car body will be gone along with the paint. A total restoration done propely sets you back at least the whole price of a well preseved example in perfect shape.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Boo said:

Im sure I read somewhaere that the astronauts were given Corvettes whilst they were part of the Apollo programme.

Larry Shinoda, one of the principal designers of the C2 and C3 (as the one above) Corvette Stingray was a Korean war veteran who served with the national air guard.

From Al Shepards flight on, GM got aware of the marketing potential. Ed Cole, President of General Motors with Jim Rathmann Chevrolet of Melbourne Florida offered the astronauts a special Chevrolet plan in which they were given the use of any Chevrolet automobile for a year at the very nominal cost of $1.

image.thumb.jpeg.21d1bf36ee526d345eac9de13af71f2a.jpeg

Al Worden’s 1971 Corvette and Alan Bean’s 1969 Corvette at the National Corvette Museum.

See here.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Major Lee said:

I remember that, at the age of four, something huge was going on, if only visible in a grainy black and white image. Most memorable. 

I was six, and remember being glued to the black and white as well. 

• Like 3