Nvidia 5070, 5080 and 5090 pricing leak.

$2499 USD for the 32 GB 5090

$1499 USD for the 16 GB 5080

$699 USD for the 12 GB 5070

Yes, it is "up to" that given price, but we all know what Nvidia does. Given the 4090 is now discontinued, I find it a crime selling a 16 GB card for the price of a 24 GB 4090. If the 5080 ends up 10% faster in some games than the 4090, then that is irrelevant. What truly sets the 4090 apart from the rest is the amount VRAM which makes it so useful in those few cases where it is actually much more useful than say a 4070.

In this light, I almost feel lucky having bought a 4090 slightly below MSRP (yes, there were instances this summer, where new cards could be bought like that). Capped at some 300 Watts it runs quiet and I hope the 12V plug doesn't melt away. 🙏 Performnance difference between 300 and 600 Watts is a rather diminishing return given the hassle it causes.

• Like 6

Hm .. it doesn´t get easier it seems to put a new rig together.

Although my last video card I bought in 2019 which was a 2070 Super for ~580€ .. not sure what I´d put into a new rig.

Would need a new CPU more than a new GPU I think - at least in MSFS my CPU is the bottleneck and I think in DCS as well. Would be interesting to see how those games run with a new CPU and the old GPU.

At the moment though I´m not really motivated to put a new system together and I fly less and less .. daaamn -.-

• Like 2

I have more of less mentally committed to a 5090 as a part of the plunge into VR so at this juncture I am somewhat insulated against the shock. Holding out on Vram on the mid range cards is something of a shitty trick though, especially at the rumoured prices. I know there is talk of this being an Nvidia scoured "leak" to test the water but I doubt any uproar will change anything at the top although it may do min the mid range given AMDs chosen path there. 

• Like 1

Paying the same price for a 5090 as my son recently paid for a 14900k + 4080GTX complete system with 64GB of ram and watercooling, is beyond ridiculous!

I honestly was looking at buying a complete system build with a 5090 at the centre of it (I usually make my own builds but just fancied a pre built for a change), but the price looks like it will send a quality pre built to a 5k budget, which is not something I would consider as reasonable.

My last system I bought in 2016, I still have it and it plays most games at 4K 30fps (1070GTX, i6700k, 32GB Ram), and it did play VR on an oculus DK2 but the USB connection (prefer wired) was only USB 3 and needs 3.2.....anyway, I intend a new VR build and was looking at the 5090 as the centrepiece. That won't happen now.

So next it will be benchmarks and comparison between the 5070/5080 and any benefits it has between the 4070-4090 will have to be exceptional to justify that price!

• Like 3

I just checked Scan for the latest 40xx prices (starting at lowest)

Screenshot_20241011_085402_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb601d562cf103e0c614523e2ebf8eaa.jpg

Screenshot_20241011_085314_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4d69f3ae91675cae0b4c2843ded09b76.jpg

Screenshot_20241011_085252_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ff8f02029eadb505734ddeb296ff7998.jpg

Looking at the current state of play, the 4080 Asus Strix looks like the best bang for buck....which is why it's sold out no doubt 🧐 

I think realistically, any future builds I make will have to be either a 4080 or maybe a 5070, but obviously that will depend on the benchmarks?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Looking at the current state of play, the 4080 Asus Strix looks like the best bang for buck....which is why it's sold out no doubt 🧐

I'm very happy with my 4070ti PNY Vetro bought last year, very quiet even with a personalized fan curve , more agressive.
It's my second PNY card and never  had issues with them, unlike Asus the last years. Next one , in few years, will be also maybe, a PNY.
Instead of focussing on Asus, maybe consider PNY as alternative (check the benchmarks and reviews fist, off course :classic_biggrin: )

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jesus. I’ve paid some stupid prices in the past cause I could, but those days are over. Anyone want to buy a kidney?

Jason

Your mission, if you accept is to make CB run at 120fps Average on a 4070 in 2K ...:classic_biggrin:

But seriously, i think the 4070 (not even the Ti or the super) is the reference average card right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Simfan1998 said:

I'm very happy with my 4070ti PNY Vetro bought last year, very quiet even with a personalized fan curve , more agressive.
It's my second PNY card and never  had issues with them, unlike Asus the last years. Next one , in few years, will be also maybe, a PNY.
Instead of focussing on Asus, maybe consider PNY as alternative (check the benchmarks and reviews fist, off course :classic_biggrin: )

I mentioned the ASUS as it was the cheapest rather than best in the screenshot 👌

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

Paying the same price for a 5090 as my son recently paid for a 14900k + 4080GTX complete system with 64GB of ram and watercooling, is beyond ridiculous!

If I apply logic to a GPU purchase it hurts my brain too much. 

My strategy is going to be to press "buy" whilst very drunk and not look at my bank account for a while. Actually my strategy is going to be to see if the hype pans out first. 

• Haha 5

highway robbery...  insane...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I've been pondering moving to the AMD AM5 platform in a new PC build, but then Hardware unboxed just did a vid comparing my 58003XD to the AM5 9700X and the performance was almost identical. My MSI RTX4080 has been outstanding in all my flight sims at high/ultra settings, running cool to boot. So maybe I'll just wait a bit till after release and the reviews are out before heading into a new build just yet. That will give me some time to save up a few bucks for the splurge should I decide to take the plunge.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Props said:

I've been pondering moving to the AMD AM5 platform in a new PC build, but then Hardware unboxed just did a vid comparing my 58003XD to the AM5 9700X and the performance was almost identical. My MSI RTX4080 has been outstanding in all my flight sims at high/ultra settings, running cool to boot. So maybe I'll just wait a bit till after release and the reviews are out before heading into a new build just yet. That will give me some time to save up a few bucks for the splurge should I decide to take the plunge.

See what the 9800X3D brings and see if the step up is worth that. Rumour mill is that it boosts to 5.2Ghz on all cores which is a not an insignificant increase over the 5800X3D and its comng late Oct/early Nov. . 

The 9800x3D is currently what Im considering for the Christmas build as It'll only ever be a gaming rig. I also value the lower power and temps of Ryzen as Im loathed to introduce water into any PC I own...........which then brings the reported 600W consumption of the 5090 into sharp focus.... 

Bollocks - at this rate, I might just buy another PS5, a nice TV and flight in a Hurricane. .  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2024 at 5:59 AM, Jason_Williams said:

Jesus. I’ve paid some stupid prices in the past cause I could, but those days are over. Anyone want to buy a kidney?

Jason

Yeah my situation is pretty much the same. I could before but stopped at 1080 ti. 20 and up series became just too expencive. 
I am kind of proud owner of a second hand 3080. 
I wonder what a second hand 4090 will cost ? Because they gonna be flooding the marked now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lusekofte said:

Yeah my situation is pretty much the same. I could before but stopped at 1080 ti. 20 and up series became just too expencive. 
I am kind of proud owner of a second hand 3080. 
I wonder what a second hand 4090 will cost ? Because they gonna be flooding the marked now

In the UK we have CEX (second hand electronics) - Their GPUs come with a warranty (I think) and I know, from experience, they are pretty picky about what they take in.  

Partner board 4090s (so slightly OC'd models) in CEX hover around the £1300 mark in comparison to a new unit from say, Scan, at £1700-£2000.  Ebay is just a ship full of gouging chancers from the brief look I had. 

I dont see 4090s flooding the market with bargain basement prices especially if the 5090 comes in at the reported $2500. At least in the UK. Punting the cash on a top end VR headset and a new GPU to run it remains the preserve of a very few. Outside of high end VR and flight sims (and especially flight sims with high end VR), the 4090 (hell even the 4070ti) already does pretty much what anyone wants.

Even with a trade in or ebay sale the 4090 would still leave a potential 5090 buyer having to find £1500- £1700. And thats probably less than 2 years after shelling out the same amount for the 4090 in the first place. Not an attractive propostion. So,  I dont see them dropping much in price given that they remain a better option than either the 5070 and 5080 with substantially more (if slower) VRAM.  The 4080 and 4080 Super (£900 in CEX currently and not much under new retail prices) might take a bigger hit given their 16GB VRAM though, again there is that bizarre $1500 price for the 5080 that may just persuade people to hang on or go for a second hand 4090 that will, in turn, increase demand and the 4090 price. 

Nvidia - God bless em. 

EDIT - putting my sensible head on - with the latest software integrations from Primax, A Crystal and a second hand 4090 seems a pretty reasonable solution, even for DCS currently.  If MSFS2024 introduces eye tracking (they likley wont given Track IR is still considered radical tech over a hat switch to most MSFS customers) then I think that combo would see me happy and £1200 richer for a good couple of years. 

Edited by Boo
  • Like 2

The 24 GB VRAM allows the 4090 to do things the 4080 simply cannot. Given the drastic preformance bump it offers even over the 4080, if you are using the 4090 for productivity tasks (like video production), it is not a bad proposition at $1500 at all. It does make sense there. It is ridiculously faster than an old 1080 to the degree that what was an overnight job, you can have completed in a coffee break.

This also means that most of the 4090‘s in the market I would expect having been used as hard as cards are/were used for bitcoin mining, at basically 100% load 24/7. I wouldn‘t put much faith in such a second hand product. That some sell it with „warranty“ doesn‘t mean much as the card is discontinued and thus basically irreplacable. At given price point, I wouldn‘t want such a card that burned 600W continuously for one year.

If you want high end VR, then the sucker you are has to pay what they ask anyway, regardless whether it is you kidney or your liver. Or both. What I can say is that on a 120 Hz 1440p screen, MSFS all maxed out is bottlenecked by the 7950X3D and runs my 4090 GPU at roughly 50% use with fans mostly idle. On a flat screen, you get nothing by buying more than one of the better flavours of the 4070.

16 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

The 24 GB VRAM allows the 4090 to do things the 4080 simply cannot. Given the drastic preformance bump it offers even over the 4080, if you are using the 4090 for productivity tasks (like video production), it is not a bad proposition at $1500 at all. It does make sense there. It is ridiculously faster than an old 1080 to the degree that what was an overnight job, you can have completed in a coffee break.

This also means that most of the 4090‘s in the market I would expect having been used as hard as cards are/were used for bitcoin mining, at basically 100% load 24/7. I wouldn‘t put much faith in such a second hand product. That some sell it with „warranty“ doesn‘t mean much as the card is discontinued and thus basically irreplacable. At given price point, I wouldn‘t want such a card that burned 600W continuously for one year.

If you want high end VR, then the sucker you are has to pay what they ask anyway, regardless whether it is you kidney or your liver. Or both. What I can say is that on a 120 Hz 1440p screen, MSFS all maxed out is bottlenecked by the 7950X3D and runs my 4090 GPU at roughly 50% use with fans mostly idle. On a flat screen, you get nothing by buying more than one of the better flavours of the 4070.

Perhaps but then I know a good few gamers but no video producers. Moreover I know several gamers using 4090 to play at no more than 1440P.  So im not sure every card will be hammered. If you didnt produce videos looks at how easy your own 4090s life would have been. 

Its a good point though Zak and one to be weighed against what is really only a £300-400 saving over new if one was buying today. 

So eye wide manic head back on - the 5090 will offer less angst in terms of what I choose to reduce image quality wise in VR without a doubt. Might even make any such choice redundant. So the difference of £1200 between a used 4090 and a 5090 divide by the average time in weeks that  I keep a card (156), divided by the likely hours of play per week, (20) and I finally get to a figure of 38 1/2p per hour, which my juvenile telling and reasoning brain satisfies itself is a justifiable cost. 🙂