2 hours ago, Aapje said:

In the new engine, the pilot can walk around, so you may look at him in different situations as well.

There does appear to be a lot of emphasis that is external to any airplane itself, and also on the aspect of being a Wing Commander, so it does seem like they are really going off in an untraditional direction.  It’s not at all clear what you’re supposed to actually do when you walk around outside the plane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

It’s not at all clear what you’re supposed to actually do when you walk around outside the plane.

Maybe simulate taking a leak on the tail wheel?  102.gif.da3279a64d7beb8da7b4d01a3972084a.gif

A 352nd Fighter Group pilot, whose name escapes me at the moment, used to relieve himself before every mission on his planes tail wheel.

Wheels

• Haha 3

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

This „walking around on the airfield“ leaves me the aftertaste of unlocks. What is for certain, is that GB will never implement ground checking of aircraft as you would do it in real life, certainly not coming close to what some publishers make it in MSFS. Also, when you are a pilot, you are given your hack by your ground crew. It is the riggers and fitters that keep the plane flightworthy. As a pilot, you don‘t pick it up your fighter airplane as you would with your rental Piper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

What is for certain, is that GB will never implement ground checking of aircraft as you would do it in real life, certainly not coming close to what some publishers make it in MSFS.

You mean one publisher and one airplane? Or do more planes than the A2A Comanche have a real walk around?

But we'll see what they will do with it. MSFS 2024 does consider it worthwhile to also implement walking ability, so...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aapje said:

You mean one publisher and one airplane? Or do more planes than the A2A Comanche have a real walk around?

But we'll see what they will do with it. MSFS 2024 does consider it worthwhile to also implement walking ability, so...

I am certain that the russkies don't have the means to implement all that complexity that we see in A2A's offerings. And A2A's team can draw from a huge platform and it takes more than one year to just get one aircraft right. You know it's certainly easy to Doom yourself around your aircraft or essentially any place in their flightsim playpen. But this will not give the walkaround that we have in A2A's modules.

To me, it is like introducing "servicing your railgun" or "cleaning your shotgun" in Doom. How much would that add to  gameplay? The true dynamic campaign that made Falcon 4 so stellar only works, because a single moderately modern fighterjet can carry essentially as much kaboom as whole fighter wing in 1950. It doesn't matter if you bring 100 bombs insead of one when one bomb in the right place can destroy that bridge if you can hit with said one bomb. The result is the same. This means, with the number of F-16's in that game, you can indeed have a meaningful impact in a dynamic war. As soon as it gets static, that all changes completely.

If that new russkie Korea game indeed will feature such, should it allow for alternative endlings like "Their Finest Hour"? Should Podpolkóvnik Pizdez Svolach with his new grind-unlocked Mig-15 be able to turn the whole of Korea into a North Korea? Colonel Dick Weird being responsible for the capture of Hanoi Pyongyang 🙄?

Should the whole "manage your meat assault" become as a surrogate timer, where abuse and bad landings reduce the number of your squadron planes? In a real war, there is basically one thing that reduces readiness: that is supply. If you have enough supply, you can meat assault all day long. If you don't have enough supply, you are short of aircraft anyway. The delicate balance where you just have enough supply if you play really, really nice, that is a very, very specific and gamey assumption of the actual situation. If you don't have enough, you don't start playing nice with your material, you ask for more! In the real world, you either have insufficient supply and you're short of everything, regardless of what you do, or you can meat assault all day and your ranks remain packed.

Or should it be a McArthur simulator? There, you don't need a flightsim anymore. It could be an interesting game, although highly academic. If it was a Peng Dehuai Simulator, all you need is a button "place 1'000'000 meat on map" and then sit back and wait a year to see what happend. Whatever that is, it is also not a flight sim.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2024 at 3:35 PM, Sea Serpent said:

It’s not at all clear what you’re supposed to actually do when you walk around outside the plane.

Personally the lone reason I fly with external view enabled is to see the damage in the plane once landed. Is something that I would welcome but is true that being able even to swim I feel it goes a bit far ¿Did they expect you to run if you bail out in hostile territory?

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums @Jonan. :wave:

jonan.png.b803abf9783365ee620769b8cfa52ded.png

When you have time you might consider dropping in and saying Hi in the Introductions forum or the Welcome thread in that forum.

43 minutes ago, Jonan said:

¿Did they expect you to run if you bail out in hostile territory?

Interesting thought. That would give the Campaign scenarios a unique element for successful completion if you had to evade capture to continue your career. 🤔

Wheels

• Like 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

1 hour ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

Interesting thought. That would give the Campaign scenarios a unique element for successful completion if you had to evade capture to continue your career. 🤔

Not a chance in hell they will do anything like that... so much work and time and effort to even think about an escape and evasion sequence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Not a chance in hell they will do anything like that... so much work and time and effort to even think about an escape and evasion sequence.

Maybe they want to make the game play like the plot of so many pilot-in-combat movies.  The Hunters, Flight of The Intruder, Top Gun: Maverick, Bridges at Toko Ri.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 2

I just want to fire her up, do the normal checks and planning.  Then fly, fire my guns and get back to base.... 😁

• Like 7

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Im torn about how much additional pre flight faff there should be. An option for sure for those like trooper who just want to get on with it but for stuff like scripted campaigns and like, a little additional icing on the cake wouldnt hurt. 

The waking from a dream sitting in the cockpit start is sooooo 2005. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boo said:

lol!... but remember, I am a dinosaur, a fossil of the old guard, someone who has been set in stone with an iron will who will not bend under any circumstance's, unless Jack Daniel's is applied in copious amounts! 

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

lol!... but remember, I am a dinosaur, a fossil of the old guard, someone who has been set in stone with an iron will who will not bend under any circumstance's, unless Jack Daniel's is applied in copious amounts! 

I think Im traumatised by the endless dry carrier starts  of Pacific Fighters

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Boo said:

Im torn about how much additional pre flight faff there should be. An option for sure for those like trooper who just want to get on with it but for stuff like scripted campaigns and like, a little additional icing on the cake wouldnt hurt. 

If I’m forced to pretend pre-flight my pretend aircraft in a combat flight sim I will not even consider buying that game.  Just an epic waste of time and resources.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

If I’m forced to pretend pre-flight my pretend aircraft in a combat flight sim I will not even consider buying that game.  Just an epic waste of time and resources.

I do agree - It would have to be an optional thing for those who just wanted the core experience and of course if it costs unaffordable dev time then its a no no. 

• Like 3

On 9/8/2024 at 10:27 PM, BraveSirRobin said:

I dunno, I rather liked the startup in CloD. Five or six sequenced key strokes/button pushes while the levers moved and the cockpit came to life was well done. I was always surprised BoX didn't have it, as the animations clearly existed. No start in CloD if you botched it and occasional mis-starts even when you did it right, felt realistic. It might be the only thing I loved in CloD, other than prop management in the 109 E4 (E3?) which was also cool, but there it is. Took three to four minutes and made it immersive, if not overly long or fully realistic. I certainly don't need to do a full preflight walk-around, as that was the ground crew's responsibility in most air forces of the times anyway.

• Like 2

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

8 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

I dunno, I rather liked the startup in CloD. Five or six sequenced key strokes/button pushes while the levers moved and the cockpit came to life was well done. I was always surprised BoX didn't have it, as the animations clearly existed. No start in CloD if you botched it and occasional mis-starts even when you did it right, felt realistic. It might be the only thing I loved in CloD, other than prop management in the 109 E4 (E3?) which was also cool, but there it is. Took three to four minutes and made it immersive, if not overly long or fully realistic. I certainly don't need to do a full preflight walk-around, as that was the ground crew's responsibility in most air forces of the times anyway.

I hate just about everything Clod related.  Including the startup.  I think GB/BoX is much better in every way.  There are 50+ aircraft in GB.  There is no way I’m going to remember that many startups.  And having the same generic startup beyond 1 button seemed very phony.

• Thanks 1

Eh, set brakes, turn on the battery, turn on fuel, set prop, set mixture, throttle to X percent, prime, prime, prime, start and cross your fingers it's a good one. Turn on the gun sight, two minutes of warm up, (check your control surfaces because you would IRL), adjust throttle and mixture, taxi. It's close enough to the real thing and fun for many/most. The random no-starts help keep it interesting. It should be a selectable option of course, especially on the server side. Should probably be required in career mode. Even if it's not strictly historical, it keeps you feeling a bit like a real pilot which is the goal of any flight sim. I'm sure most AC have similar enough starts. I don't need DCS levels of exactitude for this. Being relatable to my Cub/152/172 experience is fine.

And I want to experience Coffman percussive starts on the Wildcat et al. 🫡🛩️

• Thanks 1

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

Korea will probably start with E, just like GB, because that’s what they do over there, in a survey sim.  It’s supposed to be released in 2025, and they have a lot of planes to do.  I hope Combat Pilot is far more in depth, and avoids generic controls and systems, but it remains to be seen what balance will be struck between quality vs quantity.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Thanks 1