MSFS2020

31 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

I just preordered the "Aviators Edition"... whatever that might include in the end. Funny, it creates an install directory "\Limitless"

As far as I know its all the local legends from MS2020. No additional core aircraft or airports over the Premium Deluxe version.  I dunno if you continue to receive new local legends for free. 

• Like 2

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Standard edition will be good enough for me. Zero interest in airliners and hardly any in modern jets either. 

Will give the career mode a go - I skipped all the lessons in MSFS 2020. 

Here's hoping that the water physics is as good as promised. I want to take the Beaver out of Victoria BC as it's more than twenty years since I had a ride there, and the Dornier DoX needs to go on a trans-Atlantic trip.

Apart from float/seaplane rides I will probably spend the rest of my time sightseeing the places in the world that I'm unlikely to get/go back to. It should look good as I guessed correctly (got lucky) with my latest PC; it's pretty much on the recommended specs.

🍻

Edited by Chief_Mouser
  • Like 4

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

• 2 weeks later...

Flying Iron is just a solid developer.  Cool bird coming, FW-190 A-8: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I'm having to ask myself why I would even want to buy this... it looks great, but I can already fly it in 3 other sims I have, plus it can be flown in combat operations... so, just flying about, looking at modern scenery... hmm!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I'm having to ask myself why I would even want to buy this... it looks great, but I can already fly it in 3 other sims I have, plus it can be flown in combat operations... so, just flying about, looking at modern scenery... hmm!

I'd buy & fly it if I thought it was a more realistic flying experience compared to other sims. I'm just not sure that it is. 

• Like 2

Just flying from A-B admiring modern scenery doesn't really rock my boat I'm afraid, no matter how realistic it may seem.

I can fly any aircraft in MSFS admiring nice scenery, navigating as I go, but I keep asking myself why buy a combat aircraft that I can already fly in other sims?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Just flying from A-B admiring modern scenery doesn't really rock my boat I'm afraid, no matter how realistic it may seem.

I can fly any aircraft in MSFS admiring nice scenery, navigating as I go, but I keep asking myself why buy a combat aircraft that I can already fly in other sims?

Good combat aircraft are often rather questionable propostions when it comes to their basic operational qualities. The 190 is actually one of the better ones if you think about them in terms of having them in your flying club. But still, they are fair westher aircraft that give you very little margin for error.

MSFS is actually not that bad for using warbirds and experiencing their particular way of adding some layers of difficulty over a C172, provided the aircraft module is quality work. Combat sims are extremely bad at showing these limits, as they are very stale reditions of our world. Only since recently, we have somewhat weather - just static - no icing etc. Such makes the aircraft drastically more capable than it is in the real world.

I think each plane offers different challenges and it is not just an „A to B“ thing. Also, when flying, „things might be in the way“. It might be bad weather. It might be night. It might be a mountain. It might be all of that. It is when the supperiority of the Garmin-equipped Cessna becomes apparent over the 190.

Each aircraft has its supposed mission type. The more you deviate from that, the more interessting things can become. How best to deviate to have a fun mission depends on the aircraft.

There is a good reason why the mission type of warbirds today is basically just fair weather display at air shows. That can become boring soon in a sim, same as just flying pattern in a C152. The great thing about MSFS is that you can always ask yoursef „What if…?“ and then go and try it.

• Like 2

For me MSFS enjoyment is that level of "what if" believabilty that just might be possible. That I might co-own or rent a C152 from Gamston or be in a syndicate that runs a DHC-2. The "mundane" end of aviation if you will (which isnt actually that mundane).

Warbirds and military jets just dont fit into the fantasy I have.  Thats the beauty of MSFS. It can be all things to all men. 

• Like 3

It looks nice but I probably won't bother. I have the Spit which I haven't touched for over a year, and I have the Wildcat for Combat Pilot dreaming, which likewise won't get touched when we get one here. My favourite rides in MSFS 2020 atm are the T-33 Shooting Star, which is such a simple jet and great fun - plus as close to Korea as I'll probably get - and any float/seaplanes. 

I have most of the European Redwing 1935 airfield and beacon mods 1935-AIRFLIEDS | Red Wing Simulations (redwing-copter.com) so spend some time flying stuff that's old and slow as well.

🍻

• Like 4

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

8 hours ago, Major Lee said:

I knew MSFS could import live weather, but didn't know it could do that!! 🫡

„Chasing the eye“ is a rather popular mission in MSFS. Weather gets even more detailed in MSFS2024. They (IIRC) add the Cirrus layer and they make the individual altitude layers thinner that define the clouds. It is like a 3D voxel system, where the sim engine renders clouds in. The smaller those voxels, the more structured clouds get.

Also, instead of having only current live weather, we will finally have the option to go back 24 hours and you‘ll have the live weather from 24 hours ago. Finally, you can do a flight in the evening that can show time and weather of the morning of the same day. If you are a glider pilot, this matters a lot…

I sincerely hope that Jason can add the weather aspect to CP, along with a meaningful way to navigation (of course there should be a command for „show me direction to target/home“, same as instant engine start). Flight is challenging. Weather and navigation go hand in hand. Combat sims are usually discarding all of that and focus much rather on funny plane behaviour to add difficulty with an otherwise largely trivial way to go places, and that is just stale. Besides, again, planes don‘t wobble. I tried it in the Spit9 and in the Mustang with all my might, but these planes do go on rails, especially the Mustang, as it wants another 30 mph on the Spit anyway to be happy. Try it on a Cessna. Kick down the rudder and center immediately. Count the oscillations. Spoiler: It is 1. I keep on repeating that until we get non-silly flight dynamics. Otherwise show me one instance of documented aircraft yaw oscillations that is neither adverse yaw or dutch roll. Even on YT I find none. Plane behaviour in flight is hard to do. There’s lots of room for errors to simulate it. Plane performance however is straight forward to compute. You can even do it with a pocket calculator.

Going places is rather hard in a Spit because you always have to control it and correct attitude. And while doing so, always crosscheck with your map and clock. It is much harder to do dead reckoning like that compared to a C152. There is a good reason it was never a night fighter.

The Pacific provides for a fantasic variety of environments. Clear skies where you can see very, very far to highly dynamic cloud systems like in PNG, where somewhat clear skies can be just minutes away from hosting thunderstorms. I doubt that enemy pilots were most of the concern on average, when getting lost over water almost certainly turns you into shark food, while over land, you‘re bug food. Given the questionable reliability (according to todays standards) of even the „tough engines“ compared to your C152, everything adds up in an interesting way…

18 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

I only watch reaction videos to waffle-watching. 😁

My current favourite YT pastime is screaming "Sh.... or get off the pot" at VR Flight Sim Guy. Changes his mind more often than he changes his googles.  

Anyhow, the upshot of what Ive seen is that the lighting is much better but the AI road traffic is a crap as ever and the out of body animations when you access the menu are likely to cause seizures in VR. 

• Haha 2

HEALTH WARNING! - Probably turn down the volume as this dudes mike is painful. It'll also save you the inevitable waffle of a live stream (which I dont blame him for). 

Around 22 min mark is the Grand Canyon. And it it looks pretty damn good (as do the reworked textures of the Xcub). 

For all us DCS-ers, watch, weep and dream about what Kola and Nafghanistan really should be. For all MSFS-ers dont get too smug cos your helo FMs are shocking and will likely remain so. 

• Thanks 1