Corsair

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GSgOJ1wWYAA09v5.thumb.jpg.4b9ec3629e2bb1257cc27c59aaf5a30a.jpg

• Like 17

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 7/3/2024 at 11:44 AM, BlitzPig_EL said:

Pretty amazing that a thread on the Corsair, a plane we won't be seeing for a long time, is the most active thread here.

They did say they were heading CP to Rabaul, so there's that... If they modeled VMF214, that would be epic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Via X, a cool pic!

DDqZIOoW0AMCxHY.thumb.jpg.50b08747b00f874f485d3247f7354376.jpg

• Like 11

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 weeks later...

If we get options for field mods, we need these for the Corsairs:

Denavalization - Remove arrestor gear, wing fold mechanisms, add raised tail wheels (either that, or just make the FG-1A/D a separate model).

Broad-chord props - Paddle props were first tested on the F4U-1A by VF-17, and were then retrofit to other Corsairs in the field, as well as most of the F4U-1D production run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another Corsair feature I REALLY want to see:

The first two notches of the Corsair's flaps (10 and 20 degrees) were a maneuvering setting, and were designed in such a way that once deployed, they could "blow up" if the aircraft exceeded their deployment speed. As the aircraft slowed down they would then drop again. They weren't true automatic flaps, but the pilot could essentially "set and forget" when in combat.

I don't think I've ever seen this functionality simulated before, (most sims simply decide, "You've exceeded your flap speed? Too bad, they've jammed.") so it would be really cool to see it actually get implemented.

Edited by Ambaryerno
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

So, did all Corsairs have this function?

Or was it just the later models?

Tracking feature development in the early Corsairs is kind of a pain because so many later improvements were retrofit to older aircraft in the field, (IE the stall strips and paddle props) but far as I’m aware the flap functionality was designed into it right from the start with the -1 Birdcages.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2024 at 5:26 AM, Ambaryerno said:

I don't think I've ever seen this functionality simulated before,

I can not remember if it was modeled on the Corsair but I could have sworn the F4F's had it modeled in IL-2 1946.

Wheels

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 2 weeks later...