Post-War Scrapped Planes

Feldgrün

One of the BlitzPigs has been involved in aviation in California for many years.  He says that crop dusters would buy surplus B17s just for the fuel in their tanks, then scrap the airplane to recover their cost.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 2

Pacific Sig.jpg

The sad truth was that the B29 and atomic weapons made all other bombers in the inventory totally obsolete almost overnight.  Also, it was obvious to planners that the best piston engine fighters were soon to be made redundant by jet powered fighters.  The market for surplus military aircraft was actually quite small, so what to do with the massive numbers of now useless aircraft?

Scrapping them at least recovered some of the initial investment in them.  Economics can be a cruel reality.

• Like 1

Pacific Sig.jpg

Hindsight's 20/20, pretty sure at the time most of the guys mood was fed up and sick of war, so they were quite OK with burning it all.  Would have been nice had they made a stronger policy allowing pilots an option to buy their own plane dirt cheap upon demobilization and separation, could have been a few more preserved.  Outright stupid not preserving the enemies aircraft and weapons for exhibit, the Russians did a superior job at that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPT Crunch said:

Hindsight's 20/20, pretty sure at the time most of the guys mood was fed up and sick of war, so they were quite OK with burning it all.  Would have been nice had they made a stronger policy allowing pilots an option to buy their own plane dirt cheap upon demobilization and separation, could have been a few more preserved.  Outright stupid not preserving the enemies aircraft and weapons for exhibit, the Russians did a superior job at that.  

This ⬆️

Wheels

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

5 hours ago, CPT Crunch said:

Unfortunately, to the winner(s) the spoils go. 

As luckily as I feel that I can go see these whenever I want, I also feel sad that they’re not at a museum at their native land. 

IMG_1781.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

IMG_1778.jpeg

On 2/22/2024 at 4:39 PM, BlitzPig_EL said:

The real pity is all the Japanese aircraft that came to the US for testing after the war, and ended up in land fills and scrap heaps.

Not all ;)…. Right across (and I mean right across) from these (the above German planes).

Sadly, these too are mostly the sole surviving samples of their respective models. Setting these planes right under Enola Gay must’ve been purely coincidental. 

IMG_1697.jpeg

IMG_1696.jpeg

IMG_1693.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_1786.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1783.jpeg

Edited by kissTheSky
  • Like 6

I visited there, a few years ago.  awesome collection.

• Like 3

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control