Do you use VR?

Do you use VR?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use VR?

• I only play using VR.
    • I only play using a traditional monitor.
    • I use both.

Just a quick poll out of curiousity. (Could also interest the CP developers to see how popular the different setups are.)

How many of you use VR (for flight sims)?
And for those who still use a monitor; what's your setup? Single 16:9, multi 16:9; ultrawide 21:9, super UW 32:9,...?

My TL;DR is that I don't. I currently use a single 16:9 4K monitor, but I often find myself thinking about either getting a (curved) widescreen (or even a VR headset in the future).

I actually got to experience VR for the first time a while back when I bought the PSVR2 on release. Even though I saw the potential it has (especially for sims), I ended up getting rid of it.
Never got to try it out in a good flight sim (there are none on Playstation), but I did try it out in Gran Turismo 7. The sim genre is definitely the one where VR shines the most.

My first thought, after getting used to the motion sickness, was definitely a wow-sensation. That feeling of being "inside" the game when using VR is unbeatable and I would gladly trade some graphical fidelity for it. (I often find myself ducking when a near miss occurs during intense dogfights on a flat screen! Imagine playing with a VR headset.)

Speaking of graphical fidelity, compared to my 4K monitor I did find it extremely disappointing to see the individual pixels so clearly with VR.

But the main issue with VR (for me) is actually its contradictory nature.

• On one hand setting up for a VR session takes considerably more time to set-up, so you really don't want to use it for a short session. I found toilet breaks, phone calls, social interactions with family members, etc... a bit of a nuisance when in the middle of a VR session.
  • On the other hand I found it extremely uncomfortable to use for long sessions. Not sure about other VR headsets, but the PSVR2's mounting system/padding is really uncomfortable. Tried things like wearing a beanie for extra padding, but I just couldn't get used it to it.

Also with a VR headset you can't look down at your real life cockpit which can occasionally be useful.

If Combat Pilot were to give users the ability to fly long range missions in their entirety (5-10 hours for example), would any of you VR users fly those? I would on a flat screen, but never when using VR.

Edited by Aruberikku
  • Like 1

I have been using the same VR headset for almost 5 years now.  Time flies!  :pilotfly:

I have flown in my VR headset for 4 hours and sometimes 5 hours and often flown 25 plus hours per week.  Mind you, I have modified my headset harness to customise for my own comfort with a head band and even added a chin strap (like a real pilot headset) which just happens to make things feel even more immersive too.

I am looking to upgrade this year and I must say that the Varjo XR-4 Standard version looks very promising.

Happy landings,

pilotsmall.png.b741387ed08a57a58495daa2317a4f11.png

Talisman

Edited by Talisman
  • Like 2

I returned to flight sims about three years ago only because VR became viable.  I took a very long (15 year) hiatus from flight sims because I found flying on displays to be too limiting.  I love flying in my HP Reverb G2, and despite the ups and downs of the VR headset market, I hope that VR flying only gets better and stays affordable.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Thought about it when posting it originally. Since VR is hardware, it really kinda fits both sections.
My reasoning for not putting it in the VR specific section was that non-VR users might be less likely to browse there and the question is also aimed at them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

VR got its use. And for ww2 and WW1 I think it is essential. But I fly DCS too. And there are modules there benefiting not using VR. 
I am very disappointed by the progress in VR they seem to only get bigger and more clumsy. Prices too high and it start a never ending spending spree in hardware 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you're going to get a very representative answer to your poll. The results are going to be skewed due to the nature of your audience. To answer your question, no I don't have the equipment for VR and don't think the technology is that mature. If I'm being completely honest, all the "No VR, no buy" "I can't ever go back" "The immersion factor makes up for the fact you cant read your gauges" "Just buy VR (instead of what you asked about)" really puts me off the whole thing. 

• Like 5

Definitely agree that cost is also a major con for VR. Already have a bunch of other things on my wishlist for my flight simming needs. 😁
Currently happy with my head tracking setup, despite its shortcomings.

9 hours ago, DaveP63 said:

I don't think you're going to get a very representative answer to your poll. The results are going to be skewed due to the nature of your audience. To answer your question, no I don't have the equipment for VR and don't think the technology is that mature. If I'm being completely honest, all the "No VR, no buy" "I can't ever go back" "The immersion factor makes up for the fact you cant read your gauges" "Just buy VR (instead of what you asked about)" really puts me off the whole thing. 

Yeah, you're right. The results are going to be skewed.

On one hand (flight) sims are probably the genre that benefit the most from VR, so more people might have VR or at least be interested in it compared to other gaming genres.

But it's probably also fair to assume that thae current users on this forum might be the more hardcore fans(?). (Not everyone is going to join a forum for a sim that might or might not release in 5 or so years.)
I'd imagine that once Combat Pilot releases and the more 'average' players learn about it, you'll find that the majority don't use VR. (Especially if CP also has difficulty settings that cater to non-sim folks.)

Edited by Aruberikku
  • Like 3