FSExpo 2024 - Las Vegas June 21-23, 2024 *Updated 6/13/24*

Jason_Williams

1 minute ago, BraveSirRobin said:

You know the guy responsible for the RoF and GB design decisions (that you don’t especially seem to like) is now in charge of this game, right?

I am. But there he started with what they already made and what defined to a large degree the scope of the game. Right now, he is free to choose his future problems. You might be right he goes the same way. But maybe he doesn't. Different times now. We'll see.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

I am. But there he started with what they already made and what defined to a large degree the scope of the game. Right now, he is free to choose his future problems. You might be right he goes the same way. But maybe he doesn't. Different times now. We'll see.

He could have gone any direction he wanted when that series transitioned to GB.  And currently I suspect he has significantly less money for this than he had then.  So temper your expectations.

Just to clear, I’m not badmouthing Jason at all.  I think what he did with RoF and GB was fantastic.  And I will be buying this even if I’m just taking off from an empty carrier in a Wildcat/Zero to go attack another empty carrier.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

IMG_0354.jpeg

Oh goody! Come Saturday I'm going to break it for sure - it's the pub's AGM and it's impossible to go there and NOT drink. Especially as there might be a freebie or two 😁🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

57 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

BSR has posted and I'm sorry, but I lied... I'm not drinking JD (forgot I drank that last month), but I AM drinking KIN Toffee Vodka instead!  ☠️😇

Cheers. I’ll join with a bit of (to fit the theme) Hatozaki Japanese single malt whisky. 🥃 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

so this is like a drinking game then….

I invented the BSR drinking game back in the years of RoF, and I’m absolutely not lying.

2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

BSR has posted and I'm sorry, but I lied... I'm not drinking JD (forgot I drank that last month), but I AM drinking KIN Toffee Vodka instead!  ☠️😇

But I only drink beer for him though, and still do.  I reserved the hard stuff for guys like Teddy Bear.  BSR is mostly sane.

First thing I ever heard out of BSR on TS, was “get the f*** out of the way, you f***ing moron!  Mueller, where the f*** do you find these idiots?”  He’s a good guy though, generally.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

My favorite Ice Serpent moment happened after a group of us got bounced. I was covering Mueller while Serpent is doing who knows what.  Mueller is about to finish the guy when suddenly we hear Ice Serpent yelling “I’m in!  I’m in!”  Mueller and I look around and see no one but the bad guy.  “I’m in!  I’m in!”  Dude, where the F are you?  We’re about to finish this guy.  Ice Serpent then informs us that he’s 30 seconds out, but when he gets there he’s definitely “in”.  Seriously.  This actually happened.  Mueller finished the guy off and we abused Serpent for being a dumbass for the next few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

My favorite Ice Serpent moment happened after a group of us got bounced. I was covering Mueller while Serpent is doing who knows what.  Mueller is about to finish the guy when suddenly we hear Ice Serpent yelling “I’m in!  I’m in!”  Mueller and I look around and see no one but the bad guy.  “I’m in!  I’m in!”  Dude, where the F are you?  We’re about to finish this guy.  Ice Serpent then informs us that he’s 30 seconds out, but when he gets there he’s definitely “in”.  Seriously.  This actually happened.  Mueller finished the guy off and we abused Serpent for being a dumbass for the next few years.

classic sh*t!  I remember years ago, flying Luftwaffe, and then landing at the wrong airfield in France. I was off by 10km, so "F" me.  Trust me,  I received so many @$$ "f"ing's for so many missions after that.  Of course, no one thanked me for bringing in my bird into a friendly field... (we were flying CLOD).  Those were the days!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2024 at 3:41 PM, Aapje said:

My argument was never that I wanted simpler planes, but that full fidelity can come at the expense of things that matter more.

But good job on both completely missing the point I made and making a personal attack, I guess. I hope that made you feel better.

In that matter (clickpits and developme t time) i wouldnt compare it to DCS, rather to MSFS2020. They also said they would be in between il2 and dcs so i really dont worry about it....much!

There are few things to consider when comparing all those products;

1. DCS has only chunk/few of devs working per individiual plane among many projects from various theatres and focus on theatre isn't there. While here we have whole team working on it as combat experience in focused theatre of war. Just imagine whole dcs dwvelopmemt goes into ww2 pto.

2. Engine itself might be easier to develop clickpits and systems here, who knows, here i look at 3rd party msfs ACs where they dont take years to develop as in DCS.

3.Them saying they will be in between il2 and dcs alone tells me it wont be dcs and clickpit system dcs have.

4.Maybe they will go with a base game of nonclickpit detailed aircraft systems and sell detailed clickable systems as add-ons...who knows...

In the end Jason and devs have experience in flight sims so i doubt they blindly went into something that will fail. As from expo their goal is to release Midway as a base game and a platform after they will move to Solomons....i doubt their plan is to release it as far as 20years from now.

Another thing for me is i'd rather have 2 fighters, 2 attackers (bomb/torpedo) and 1-2 bombers than alone 40 different fighters, variety of gameplay, combat simulation and details is much wider in first scenario with fewer aircrafts.

Anyway time will tell, i dont expect miracles or it to be to my liking, im just glad someone went to develop PTO....and worrying this early into development i find unnecessary.

Edited by Ribbon
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Ribbon said:

Engine itself might be easier to develop clickpits and systems here, who knows, here i look at 3rd party msfs ACs where they dont take years to develop as in DCS.

Yeah, I'm very interested in seeing what they can do with UE.

Maybe they will go with a base game of nonclickpit detailed aircraft systems and sell detailed clickable systems as add-ons...who knows...

I think that this is the trap that DCS went into, where the business model became to sell very expensive airplanes and then spend a lot of effort on them, without creating a coherent experience.

In the end Jason and devs have experience in flight sims so i doubt they blindly went into something that will fail.

Plenty of gaming projects fail, also from experienced developers. When Jason worked on IL-2, they did make some very poor decisions, like having to grind to unlock planes and loadouts.

The team chose unproven technology, which is always a risk (and also an opportunity).

I care about this project more than just for its own sake, since if it works out, it can open up the flight sim genre to a lot more developers, who can't make the numbers work if they have to start completely from scratch.

worrying this early into development i find unnecessary.

This is the period where decisions get made that can make or break the project. Once it is released, it is too late to make major changes. I think that it is useful to bring it up, so Jason can read it and consider these things.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aapje said:

Plenty of gaming projects fail, also from experienced developers. When Jason worked on IL-2, they did make some very poor decisions, like having to grind to unlock planes and loadouts.

It not his first Rodeo then. I wouldnt overplay our importance in helping him to make fundemetal choices. If he listened to us it would be a basket case. 

• Haha 4

On 7/8/2024 at 10:35 PM, Boo said:

It not his first Rodeo then. I wouldn't overplay our importance in helping him to make fundamental choices. If he listened to us it would be a basket case. 

I hope that @Jason_Williams will listen to us a little bit. Hopefully we can nudge him into releasing a Wildcat & Zero to let us fly around before the full game is released, even if it's just over an unfinished Midway or very basic non-functional carriers. He could then offer a discount on the full game for those who already bought these planes, and the initial sales of these planes could help fund the rest of the project. 

• Like 3

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions
On 7/8/2024 at 4:36 AM, Aapje said:

That was not my decision. You have no idea how hard I fought against this and I eliminated it as soon as I took over. Everything we are doing is a risk. 

Jason

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

That was not my decision. You have no idea how hard I fought against this and I eliminated it as soon as I took over. Everything we are doing is a risk. 

Jason

Fair enough. It can be hard for outsiders to know who decided or was in favor/against what, so it's hard to impossible for outsiders to attribute successes and failures to specific people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1