One picture is worth a thousand words

IckyAtlas

Spectacular Icky, thanks!

Am trying to guess which US battleship it is. Given it has 4 triple gun turrets, it has to be one of the Pennsylvania, New Mexico or Tennessee class.

Now I'm guessing that the picture is depicting a kamikaze attack, one of which has successsfully struck the battleship. Only three battleships in those classes were actually 'hit' by kamikaze, namely the New Mexico in Lingayen Gulf on 6 January 1945; the Mississippi also on the 6th January off Luzon; and the Tennessee on 12 April off Okinawa.

However the superstructure of the ship in the picture doesn't fit those of the New Mexico or Tennessee class. After refit both those classes had a higher, more blocky bridge structure. And on the stern both classes had double AA mounts, not the single shown in the picture.

So I would have to go with the ship depicted being the USS Pennsylvania. Even though she was never struck by a kamikaze. She was near missed by four bombs on 10 January in Lingayen Gulf; and struck by a torpedo launched from an aircraft on 12th August off Okinawa.

Am I right? Is it the USS Pennyslvania?

Edited by Boom
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 6:08 PM, Boom said:

Spectacular Icky, thanks!

Am trying to guess which US battleship it is. Given it has 4 triple gun turrets, it has to be one of the Pennsylvania, New Mexico or Tennessee class.

Now I'm guessing that the picture is depicting a kamikaze attack, one of which has successsfully struck the battleship. Only three battleships in those classes were actually 'hit' by kamikaze, namely the New Mexico in Lingayen Gulf on 6 January 1945; the Mississippi also on the 6th January off Luzon; and the Tennessee on 12 April off Okinawa.

However the superstructure of the ship in the picture doesn't fit those of the New Mexico or Tennessee class. After refit both those classes had a higher, more blocky bridge structure. And on the stern both classes had double AA mounts, not the single shown in the picture.

So I would have to go with the ship depicted being the USS Pennsylvania. Even though she was never struck by a kamikaze. She was near missed by four bombs on 10 January in Lingayen Gulf; and struck by a torpedo launched from an aircraft on 12th August off Okinawa.

Am I right? Is it the USS Pennyslvania?

This is the print:

REIGN of FIRE - USS Pennsylvania at Leyte Gulf 1944 by Mark Churms

Second image is, indeed, Val's. With Nevada in the foreground and Pennsy, again, in the background. The title is:

Remember Pearl Harbor by Robert Taylor

• Thanks 2

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”