DCS and DCS WWII

2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

F4U pics...

I can only take so much!  😀  (thanks for the pics, awesome bird!)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I hope that Combat Pilot simulator will include mouse clickable cockpit controls or at least keyboard controls for cockpit actionable buttons, toggles, levers etc. just like DCS. It will enhance 'sim ' immersion to the fullest extent possible!!

Now all we need is a map stretching from Ubon in Thailand to Hanoi, a big f@$&in’ map.  But we’ll already be set for so many conflicts in the Middle East.

I really think they did a great job on the Mig-15.  Mig-21 needs an overhaul.  I never got into the Mig-19, but that might change with the F-4.

On 6/4/2023 at 10:09 AM, Trooper117 said:

MiG-17F is coming...

image.thumb.jpeg.404eb890825f639b7e20bee7da175abe.jpeg

Here's a couple of videos...

Yep, wanting this one.  Especially when the Phantom comes out too...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

20 hours ago, GRIFF said:

I hope that Combat Pilot simulator will include mouse clickable cockpit controls or at least keyboard controls for cockpit actionable buttons, toggles, levers etc. just like DCS. It will enhance 'sim ' immersion to the fullest extent possible!!

Griff, I agree But, A Lot of Pilots use Bindings in HOTAS anyway. I find in DCS I would rather have  a "Gear Up" button bound to my HOTAS rather than the Realism of reaching for Gear Up Lever. I was the Biggest fan of Clickable cockpits until I realised, I dont really use them !   So for Me, I would rather they put resources into other areas of the Sim !~S~

• Like 2

There are only a few functons that can be reasonably mapped on a HOTAS. I find Great battles series about borderline where it is reasonable not having clickpits. Many planes are so simple that this works fine (especially FC ones), but with the twin engine ones and some later planes, it gets more difficult. The key binding concept ahs up and downsides in it's own way.

If you have the full systems simulated, the HOTAS gets cumbersome. Like in MSFS, if it is a dead simple plane like a stock C152 or a glider, all can be mapped on the HOTAS. Now map the Cessna310R on a Hotas, Good luck with good engine management and Garmin functions. Never mind the tubeliners.

9 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Yes, it looks great doesn't it... does anyone know how much area it covers?

via the Sinai thread on DCS:

1JIxjaq.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 4:43 PM, Nocke said:

Rhode Island is 4000km2, the detailed part of the Sinai map is 490.000km2.

I tend to agree with Jedi. There still seems to be a decimal issue with your Sinai map numbers.

The total size of the map is 1500 x 1000 km, and the detailed section is 700x700 km.

Rhode Island is roughly 77km x 60 km making the DCS SInai map about 20 times longer and about 17 times wider than the state.

only about 48 miles (77 km) long and 37 miles (60 km) wide

https://www.britannica.com/place/Rhode-Island-state

Wheels

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

Oh wait - we might have a problem here with US and european use of decimals?

I want to say Rhode Island has fourthousendsixhundredandtwenty square kilometers, while the detsiled part of the Sinai map has fourhundredninetythousend of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nocke said:

Oh wait - we might have a problem here with US and European use of decimals?

I want to say Rhode Island has fourthousendsixhundredandtwenty square kilometers, while the detsiled part of the Sinai map has fourhundredninetythousend of them.

Yep, we use commas and not decimals in that situation. I know that too and I am surprised it did not come to mind before you reminded me.

77 x 60 = 4,620 km2

700 x 700 = 490,000 km2 (DCS populated area)

1500 x 1000 =  1,500,000 km2 (DCS total map area)

Wheels

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

Oh yes, that slipped my mind too. I never understood using decimals instead of commas because that can cause confusion if you don't have a round number.

490,000.034 is very clearly .034 added to 490,000 while 490.000.034 could mean either .034 added to 490,000 or 1000 times more? 

I think I've also seen all commas used with no decimals which I also find frustratingly vague.

Oh my. "Very clearly" for some, for me it looks like incomprehensible mess. But I admit I've never seen commas used for thousand separator in my 44 years of life on the continental Europe. Thus 490.000,034 is "normal" for me. I've got no problem, however, with writing .30, .357, .45, .50 when referring to US ammo types, 'cause I know that's how they're originally designed.

I agree that whatever system one chooses, throwing in all commas or all decimals in a single line is a recipe for even worse confusion!

Quite an interesting discussion, even though somewhat offtopic.

I wonder how the WWII version of Marianas map is coming along. I know - different devs, but man, how cool it would be if it landed more or less together with Corsair!