Let's be honest, looking at this map of the Pacific War....there's a huge amount of scope!

Mysticpuma

Those advocating "full size map at all costs" are (probably) not familiar with the intricacies/complexities of mission design, randomized logic, and what this would be as far as under the hood logic complexity in the game code.

That said, it is possible. There must be a way for the mission logic to 'talk' to the "fast forward" functionality however so that even given a randomized encounter, the "warp" logic knows to disengage appropriately. You don't want a predictable "action point" that's always in a given place on the map. 

I disagree with some of the negative notions regarding a scaled map...it's entirely plausible without some of the problems brought up. More than doable. 

That said, I'm starting to come down on the side of a full sized map, with 'warp' functionality...however unlike some I also have more of a handle on exactly what that means for mission design and added complexity to the "skip to action" or skip to waypoint logic. This becomes especially problematic with any kind if generated mission. A 'hand crafted' mission can more easily account for this, where the mission designer can place "warp to" points custom placed given the individual mission design.

All this is just talk of the somewhat distant future however...this will be quite a road I think.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 1

Make the globe water world, than as you build individual maps they each become a square in the checkerboard.  Initially design it so when you build a mission you can select any two checker grids to activate in that world, depending on the mission and route.  Nothing says you couldn't release multiple small board grids all at once as a map, nor limit it to always two grids max active in the future.  They'll always be locked into their set global place, up to you to design the mission to spec to have their appearance.  As the machines progress in power more or even all can be run simultaneously, but why you would need do that is the question.  With time you could build the entire land mass that's relevant, and mission connectivity would be a thing between any two points. 

• Like 1

I dream of long flights over the pacific where you may feel lost I(night flight) , risk ditching in the middle of the ocean and be either saved by a Catalina, after floating in your dinghy for long hours or just be eaten by shark , or landing or ditching nearby an inhabited atoll and be rescued by a submarine passing by, not finding the carrier, etc. etc a lot of very stressing situations when flying over the unforgiving vastness of the pacific ocean.

At that time there was no GPS radio was primitive etc. etc. Navigation errors did happen. If you make a two degree error, over 1'000 miles you may miss your target by 35 miles. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 8:55 PM, CPT Crunch said:

Make the globe water world, than as you build individual maps they each become a square in the checkerboard.

I seem to recall that Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 2 had the entire globe, albeit only developing detail in those areas that were actually used.  But I think it had all of the land masses sans any human development.

• Like 2