New things for VR

Hi guys, Here is a short list of things I think would be a great ADD to the game and especially for VR:

1) The possibility to walk around the planes. Ingame and in a special mod.

2) The posssibility to have a breifing room with AI and with Colleagues in Multi.

3) A FUCKIN good Campaign mod for Multiplayer going with a nice mission editor.

4) the possibility to project the map on our leg, not only on a menu...

5) The possibility to toggle buttons and wheels with hand tracking.

6) I don't know guys, make your own proposals too.... "All those who stand for VR. With meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

See ya virtual fly boys...

Dartag

• Like 2

Handtracking would be nice. You could play without a HOTAS then and just use touch controllers than come with the headset. I was pleasantly surprised how intuitive using the psvr2 controllers were as a virtual stick and throttle playing Ultrawings 2 on ps5. It's fun, and the built in rumble acts as a virtual ffb joystick well. You almost forget you don't have a stick in your hand.

• Like 1

Track IR is a really cool teck that I have used for years.

In my opinion there was a place for VR vs Track IR debate 5 years ago. Before the RTX 40 and before the Beyond the Crystal the VR1 and all the new headset.

Nowadays, I don't think it is debateable anymore... Whether you like it or not, VR tech as reach the point where optimisation and increase in performance have made it the tech around which will flight sim evolve. In other words, I don't think there is debate anymore: Flight sim conceived today should be around VR with a flat screen option and not the other way around.

This is just an opinion and I don't pretend I can read the future but the tendency has been very clear in the past years... if the trends goes on, there will be more VR simmers than Flat simmers within a few years... Making a game that is not made from the start to have VR as the main mod and flat as an option seems almost silly...

I mean, correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the main target of combat pilot are ONLY the simmers that evolve on flat screen since 20 years or more. If you want to recruit new simmers and make a new generation of virtual pilots ready to engage into years of simming you have to offer new. Not only new graphics like MSFS or full fidelitty like DCS. I think you have to offer a new immersion lvl. Take a look at VTOL VR, it is not even a sim. Yet you will find hardcore simmers on this game just because of the immersion...

Well, I hope my arguments convinced you that it is in the interest of COMBAT PILOT to be developped with VR as a main focus and not as a side project. I trully hope you will be able to agree that flight sim games don't have to die with us, old flat simmers. Join me to help it evolve toward VR and increase the immersion it can procure to everybody. Help me recruit new generations of simmers who want to learn and feel more.

See you up there VFB's (virtual fly boys)

Dartag

Don't disagree with you regarding VR.

As it stands at the moment, it's just the resolution and faffing around that has deterred me.

Resolution: When I have tried VR in the past, yes it is amazing and will be the reason for my next build, high end and VR ready. The only deterrent I have had is contacting spotting (without paying over a thousand pounds for a headset).

Faffing: So many posts I read have endless discussions about micromanaging settings, then micromanaging different headsets for different settings.

I know, being a PC owner, that part of the hobby is tweaking here and there, but VR is affected by eyesight and this can be very individual, leading to so many tweaks just to get a close to acceptable result.

To compare, I turn on my Monitor, set 4K 60fps and if needed can change the Gamma, contrast and brightness and colour if needed...but from the outset it's effectively plug and play.

I don't feel this is the same from reading various VR posts, such as "works okay with Wi-Fi if you have x speed", or " you need this cable to connect it but it can be problematic if your USB isn't x connection".

This isn't a perfect example of the 'issue', but maybe I am lazy and just want something that plugs and plays.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2932276145

I do agree VR is the future (at least for flight Sims), but as I understand it, you would need at least 2K per eye resolution to give equivalent monitor resolution for contact spotting?

But, either way, I will be going the VR route on the next build, I just hate lots of tweaking because sometimes I think Immay be getting worse visuals due to my incompetence, rather than just be ready to plug and play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aapje said:

@Dartag

UE5 will make it relatively easy to support VR, as there is a plugin for it.

Of course, having the game in VR in 2025 should not be such a hard task...

That is not my point. My point is that it should be including things that are made for VR. Walk around, breifing room, etc... A real sim of its time. Made for VR not adapted to it.

An auxiliary stop watch display you can activate in a corner somewhere near the visual edge that is pilot controlled with a reset function completely independent from the normal cockpit clock telling you what hour of the day it is.  We're going to need it for things like navigation and engine power usage times. 

• Like 1