Discussion of Developer Diary #08

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions

DD 08

Dear Pilots,

And we’re back after a short summer siesta! We are happy to report that our expedition to FS Expo 2024 was a success and we were able to meet our technical goals for the show. It’s been interesting to watch the comments and coverage of what we showed. The overall response at the show itself was very positive and the response in the larger community has also been largely positive which we loved to see and is encouraging. 

We appreciate everyone who stopped by the booth and gave it a go. Was a lot of fun for us to meet all of you and watch virtual pilots fly our planes for the very first time! We also got to catch up with several long-time friends who have been so generous to us with their help and time this past year.

To be honest, if FS Expo had not been in Las Vegas (where Jason lives) we would not have participated this year with so little to show. However, having it in Vegas greatly eased the logistics of attending so we went for it and worked hard to make a demo that we could be proud of. The whole experience was a good test of the Combat Pilot Team’s devotion and working under pressure with a hard deadline which was the real aim of our exhibiting.

We also want to thank all the flight-sim media that covered our booth and gave Combat Pilot a moment in the sun during and after the show. And Carlos and Jason want to thank Joe aka Props for including us in the CFS Discussion Panel at the expo. 

Not everything went perfect at the expo though as there were hiccups like our PowerPoint file getting corrupted during our presentation and having almost ZERO time to film a proper video showcasing our work in the best light. D’oh! Nevertheless, we got it done and did not fall flat on our face thank goodness. Thank you again to all who visited us at the show and followed us online during the show. We hope you liked what you saw. But now it’s time to turn the page and begin work on our second year of development.

Booth_01.thumb.png.db977f90edda590a9d0485e98f954657.png Booth_02.thumb.png.d6ea4a2fb3e8463a04753d7f9484353c.png Booth_03.thumb.png.f12c18adc3ff35fddcccb3947253b93e.png

Booth_04.thumb.png.206eac43420579b80d96de015427382b.png Booth_05.thumb.png.a6199545303571439997129ccc560d77.png Albert_Burger.thumb.png.78ebd88fee373cd007942fbf7e9c7c8a.png

We will continue to keep you abreast of our progress in the second year and we will continue to do regular Developer Diaries. We are still working on our budget for year two and must finalize our priorities for this next phase, but as you can imagine the to-do list is HUGE. We still have some fundamental features to complete and technical hurdles to overcome, but we are confident we can make significant progress on all fronts between this summer and next.

One thing we will launch soon is our long planned Patreon and Merch operations to give those that want to help us financially an opportunity to do so. Such support is always optional, but any support is greatly appreciated. The more revenue we can generate ourselves the more independent we can be as a studio. We will also make more videos and hold live stream events in the coming months so you have a better idea of what we have built and have more opportunities to interact with the team.

We have a long way to go in all departments, and we have no illusions that this will be easy, it will be a long hard slog over many years. And we’ll likely need to try some radical, or risky ways to sell and market Combat Pilot in the future. All we ask is that you give us a chance, stay engaged and help us spread the word to your fellow virtual pilots so we can continue to build a large, friendly community.

However, before we end this DD we want to show you something new which has the team very excited and we hope you as well. The cockpits for both the A6M and F4F-4 are officially underway!

Zero_Panel_01.thumb.png.c4a0ca0ee5a97db767960d5ca276a30d.png F4F_Cockpit_01.thumb.png.32143fd394a4b033b63d74e0f9fcf044.png 

F4F_Cockpit_02.thumb.png.1405f96368aff67c4457db48e2c637e6.png F4F_Cockpit_03.thumb.png.4c2e1a22bab1136b1aa200da880bde40.png

Enjoy! 

Full Developer Diary is HERE!

Jason

• Like 24

Looking good! As for the "radical and risky" ways to earn money, when can we expect the Combat Pilot Onlyfans to start? 🤣 Jokes aside, I would definitely buy a cool Pacific Theater or Wildcat themed T-shirt or Ballcap if Merch became available. I'm usually not a subscribe to Patreon kinda person but I would certainly consider it for Combat Pilot!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

Impressive visible progress in just one year with so much behind the scenes work not visible in photos.

Flight Sim Expo 2025 is only 40 minutes from my house- can't wait to see how much more you've accomplished by then!

• Like 3

As a fan of both flight simulators and video games in general, I was actually more interested to see the partially completed state that the game was in than if it had been fully done! Please keep all these WIP shots and vids coming! Everything is looking great!

• Like 2

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions
2 hours ago, MustangMike said:

Looking good! As for the "radical and risky" ways to earn money, when can we expect the Combat Pilot Onlyfans to start? 🤣 Jokes aside, I would definitely buy a cool Pacific Theater or Wildcat themed T-shirt or Ballcap if Merch became available. I'm usually not a subscribe to Patreon kinda person but I would certainly consider it for Combat Pilot!!

Don't give me any ideas! :classic_biggrin:

Jason

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Don't give me any ideas! :classic_biggrin:

Jason

We've already seen under the covers of the Wildcat and Zero. I think you missed your chance.....

• Haha 5

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

Great to see some new progress. (yes, you were busy with the expo, so fully normal)
But Jason, looking at the cockpit geometry, will nanite even be able to handle this crazy poly's number (combined with all the rest, scenery, objects, weather, water, etc..)?
The detail, even without all the gimmic's in the cockpit, is tremendous, really curious an impatient to see the final result.

PS: what the F* is this hamburger? by just looking at it, my cholesterol level is jumping like a raver on xtc:classic_ohmy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Simfan1998 said:

But Jason, looking at the cockpit geometry, will nanite even be able to handle this crazy poly's number (combined with all the rest, scenery, objects, weather, water, etc..)?
The detail, even without all the gimmic's in the cockpit, is tremendous, really curious an impatient to see the final result.

The beauty of the Unreal 5 engine is the scalability. Just in case you didn't see the tech demo, this is running on a PS5, so imagine it on anything above a 1080GTX.

Skip to the 1m20s mark for the demo. 

• Like 7

You mentioned "radical and risky".  Have you guys thought about working with streamers/content creators on either YouTube and/or Twitch.  A lot of games have done this just to help get the word out there about their games.  Most companies develop some sort of program that streamers can apply to which will give them perks as a streamer and the company gets free advertising when said streamer creates content with their game(s).  I myself am part of one game community as an official creator and have seen many benefits to this even before a game is released.

• Like 1