guess the bird...

javelina

25 minutes ago, Boo said:

Russian but the name evades me. 

A SAM-9 „Arrow“.

Funny story. Some quotes:

[…] Kudrin has been walking around Arrows for a long time. I looked closely, spoke with A.N. Gusarov, looked at the calculations, blown out, thought about it and ultimately decisively told the commission that he would not only fly, but even fly up in such a strange machine, which, in his opinion, has neither tail nor wings not going. He also added that by agreeing to go to Voronezh, he expected everything from the designer of the aircraft, but not that.

Attempts to persuade Kudrin to carry out at least a taxiing of the plane were unsuccessful (perhaps Kudrin’s intractability was explained by the fact that he was close to Yakovlev and quite often tested his cars). Subsequently, Kudrin told the factory pilot that after his first glance at the Arrow he had an overwhelming aversion to the car. According to some signs, the commission represented by its chairman, the head of TsAGI, Protsenko, would like to give up the matter if it were not for the regular calls from Moscow.

In order not to waste time, after the debate, the commission decided to entrust ground tests to the factory pilot Gusarov, who was already driving on the Strela and willingly agreed to taxiing and landing.

Again began the tests on the taxiing, as well as a run with a raised tail. The trials were successful, except for one unexpected incident. During one of the riles, the pilot abruptly “gave a leg” and the car, which was driving at a relatively low speed, unexpectedly rolled over the wing, being on its back. The plane lay, leaning on the engine hood, wing console and keel. Due to the low speed and soft grassy ground, the plane received no damage and it all ended in fright. The plane turned over, put on wheels, started the engine and the pilot overtook it to the parking lot, where the car and its parts were once again inspected. This incident on the commission made a strong impression. […]

See here for the full article.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nah, almost! A Ki-115?

image.jpeg.d48fd46b323224dd9db96be0685c2920.jpeg

A great idea from someone who didn‘t understand that it doesn‘t really Kamikaze against heavily defended targets when you are really slow.

I like how it leaks oil though. Almost made me think of a British origin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Boo said:

No deviousness with this one

SiebelSi204.png.b48be1f9aa2abfcfa7977485c7df4efd.png

I randomly ran across this in a aircraft modelling magazine this afternoon. 

• Like 6

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it is not a Kawanishi KX-03, as it is way too small:

image.jpeg.f0a05f0c81a8f7b35af8bc8dcfa7dbcb.jpeg

An aircraft we absolutely need in the game. Big enough that a Bf109 would need a droptank to fly from one end to another. A 500 ton flying boat. Just when you thought you have seen it all.

Overall length: 162 m
Wingspan: 180 m
Height: 35.4 m
Wing area: 1,150 square meter
Gross weight: 460 ton
Range: 18,520 km
Crew: 24
Payload: 900 soldiers fully equipped, possibly softskin vehicles.
Engines: -Twelve Ne201 turbo propellers engines (1,870 hp and a static thrust of 900kg per engine, total 132,000hp)
-Six Ne330 jet engine (7,920hp equivalent)

From here.

• Like 4

Its the Airspeed Fleet Follower I think. I dont think it had a name and, whilst I could look it up on google, thats not cricket. 

If it is the Airspeed, the ministry spec made for odd reading. I think it had to have a cruising speed of sommat daft like 50 mph. Cant remember if it was intended to be lauched off a carrier or not though but it did have either folding or detachable wings. I cant remember if I read about it in Warlord or one of my Bro's aviation magazines. 

Edited by Boo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...