Twin 40MM AA cannon Pics

I am impressed by the size of the electric motor driving that rig! I wonder how many redundant electrical systems were on a WWII destroyer or cruiser. Power goes out, no more heavy AAA fire... 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Major Lee said:

I wonder how many redundant electrical systems were on a WWII destroyer or cruiser

Depends on the country of origin and when it was built but generally multiple primary generators as well as some backup generators, larger ships like battleships for example might have 8 1,250kw generators for primary power plus a few smaller backups. At least for the U.S., the rule of thumb seems to have been to use double the number needed for non-emergency power consumption. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had to look up VFW. So now I know that it means 'Veterans of Foreign Wars' is it something like the Royal British Legion over here? They have branches and clubs.

🍻

PS I like the 'Foreign Wars' bit. There hasn't been a war on the American mainland since you lot fought each other in 1861-5. 😁

• Like 3

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

6 hours ago, Chief_Mouser said:

Had to look up VFW. So now I know that it means 'Veterans of Foreign Wars' is it something like the Royal British Legion over here? They have branches and clubs.

🍻

PS I like the 'Foreign Wars' bit. There hasn't been a war on the American mainland since you lot fought each other in 1861-5. 😁

I suppose the VFW is similar to your RBL, but we also have the official "Veterans Administration" (useless... 🤪) and the "American Legion", another veteran group with social aims. As for American wars here, our Indian Wars didn't officially end until 1924! Basically, that was the US Army vs various indian tribes for over a century. Out of courtesy to the CP forum rules, I'll refrain from opinion regarding these topics...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 3:58 PM, Chief_Mouser said:

There hasn't been a war on the American mainland since you lot fought each other in 1861-5. 😁

The Japanese invasion of Attu island in the Alaska territory was as close as we got. Remote & cold, but worth holding on to. Maybe like the Falklands. 😉

Members of the Japanese 301st Independent Infantry Battalion rest after ...Battle of Attu: 75 years ago, all but 28 Japanese soldiers died in ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1