USS Prince Eugen

javelina

Yep, flew the stars and stripes for a bit.  Came across this.  She's in Boston Harbor, January 1946

ussPrinceEugen-bostonharbor1946.jpg.1fbf08502ecc2ab214ea60924e93b174.jpg

• Like 5

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 1 month later...

can you spot the Prince? 😁

GObVmX1WMAEWK9w.jpg.7eb6bf9843c00b8381fd55a9a058a10b.jpg

• Like 4

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

4 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

From the Google aerial views I always thought Prinz Eugen was on its side. I never realized it had turned full turtle @DD_Arthur.

Wheels

I didn’t realise until you posted that Prinz Eugen was at the Bikini tests and now lies wrecked in the Pacific!

I assumed the RAF had deep-sixed her with a Tallboy in 1945.

After they did for the Tirpitz they went on a capital ship hunt with those things during the closing months of the war.

Is it the Lutzow or the Admiral Sheer that’s under a carpark in Kiel?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Is it the Lutzow or the Admiral Sheer that’s under a carpark in Kiel?

Part of the Scheer's hull is under a Car Park. The Lutzow survived albeit as a Russian ship and was scrapped in the 50s according to Wiki.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hipper class cruisers, at 18,000 tons were likely the biggest ships that could still be called “cruisers” at the time.  My guess is that they were far more dangerous than the so called “pocket battleships.”  The cruisers of other nations seem pretty wimpy by comparison.

• Like 2