Silent Hunter 4

Used to play Silent Hunter III a lot. Got some great memories from it.
I once completed a patrol on 1x speed without pausing (as a teenager during a school holiday).  Took me about one week. Would sleep in short sessions with the sound maxed out in case of emergency. 😅

Only played SH IV for a bit, and yes... all I remember is that I really disliked those US subs compared to the German U-boats. 😄

• Like 2

Played a lot of SH3 back in the days with GWX. SH4 I didnt play that much - not even with U-Boat missions.

Was really looking forward to SH5 and some german U-Boat action when it was announced but was kinda disappointed.. unfinshed and buggy .. could have been such a great game.

Need to check it out again with some mods.

• Like 2

I got Silent Hunter 4 back in 2012, the disc version. Had lots of fun with it. I got Silent Hunter 5 the year before; it also came with the disc of Lost and Found: The Legacy of USS Lagarto. I generally liked SH5 more mainly because you could walk about the sun but disliked sinking battleships as part of campaign objectives and bugs. I could go on for hours talking about how I as a Grade 6 student then loved the Mare Nostrum campaign and how much I learned about the Siege of Malta and the Regia Marina, and the Arctic Convoys. Pretty amazed with the story of Operation Pedestal. Shortly after getting the game I saw Das Boot.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Enceladus said:

I got Silent Hunter 4 back in 2012, the disc version. Had lots of fun with it. I got Silent Hunter 5 the year before; it also came with the disc of Lost and Found: The Legacy of USS Lagarto. I generally liked SH5 more mainly because you could walk about the sun but disliked sinking battleships as part of campaign objectives and bugs. I could go on for hours talking about how I as a Grade 6 student then loved the Mare Nostrum campaign and how much I learned about the Siege of Malta and the Regia Marina, and the Arctic Convoys. Pretty amazed with the story of Operation Pedestal. Shortly after getting the game I saw Das Boot.

Das Boot is what got me into Submarines. I'd not given naval history much of a thought beforehand, but Das Boot, with its amazing atmosphere, changed me instantly.

• Like 4

Das Boot is one of my favourite war movies and also what got me into subs. I watch the uncut version once every year or so.

Can't imagine what it would have been like on a U-boat in real life, but I feel like it does an excellent job at capturing the atmosphere. Massive respect for those guys.
Also love it when a movie makes you root for the 'bad' guys.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Aruberikku said:

Das Boot is one of my favourite war movies and also what got me into subs. I watch the uncut version once every year or so.

Can't imagine what it would have been like on a U-boat in real life, but I feel like it does an excellent job at capturing the atmosphere. Massive respect for those guys.
Also love it when a movie makes you root for the 'bad' guys.

Is the uncut version this 4 hour long one that I hear about? If so, where does one find this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parkerc341 said:

Is the uncut version this 4 hour long one that I hear about? If so, where does one find this?

The uncut version goes a bit over 4 hours.

Be aware though that this is not the directors cut!

Not sure where you are located but have you tried Amazon in your region?

• Like 1

Hello friend, I also played a lot with silent humter 3 and 4 and I enjoyed it, but silent hunter 5 I couldn't make it work, after the installation I was always told that my hardware wasn't sufficient until after I got really angry I threw away the CD.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, parkerc341 said:

Bought mine years ago at Mediamarkt in Belgium, but no idea where you could find it today. Probably best to try Amazon or another online retailer like golani79 mentioned.

Mine came in a cardboard reinforced box with some extras.
Note that it mentions "The Original Extended Version" on the box, but it's also known as "The Original Uncut Version". (Runtime is 281 minutes.)

6fjJha9.jpg

KeSXR57.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, golani79 said:

The uncut version goes a bit over 4 hours.

Be aware though that this is not the directors cut!

Not sure where you are located but have you tried Amazon in your region?

Which one should I then purchase if I'd like the best Das Boot experience? I've only watched the theater release shorter one.

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia there's several versions. Depending on what you want, there's the:

• 1981 unreleased version (209 minutes)
  • 1981 original theatrical cut (149 minutes)
  • 1984 BBC miniseries (300 minutes)
  • 1997 "Director's Cut" (208 minutes)
  • 2004 "The Original Uncut Version" (293 minutes) – miniseries minus episode-opening flashback scenes

The best/most complete edition that released somewhat recently is probably the "Complete Edition". Can't comment on it, since I don't own it, but it could be what you're looking for:

In November 2018, a "Complete Edition" was released as a collection of five Blu-ray discs and three CDs. It contains more than 30 hours of material: the Director's Cut (208 min.), the Original Cinema version (149 min.), the complete TV Series in 6 parts ("The Original Uncut Version", 308 min.), Bonus Material (202 min. + various trailers), the Original Soundtrack by Klaus Doldinger (38:21 min.) and a German-language audiobook of the novel read by Dietmar Bär (910 min.).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, parkerc341 said:

Which one should I then purchase if I'd like the best Das Boot experience? I've only watched the theater release shorter one.

I've got the uncut TV Series on BluRay but I think this version is hard to get now.

Your best bet should be the complete edition which also includes the TV series besides the Cinema and Directors Cut.

• Like 2

Even after we pass our contributions can still live on. ClayP has been gone for at least 10 years but his Silent Hunter 4 optics mods can be still found at GameFront.

Clayp's Optics for SH4 1.4: https://www.gamefront.com/games/silent-hunter-4-wolves-of-the-pacific/file/clayp-s-optics-for-sh4-1-4

The mod magnifies 4 system views for ease of use and just for fun.

1. The Periscope and Observation scopes now have an additional zoom level (a total of 3 magnifications, stock game has 2). 1st level is increased by 100% over stock 2nd level is the same as the stock max level 3rd level is increased by 100% over stock max level

2. TBT image was increased by 15% to make it approximately the same magnification as the Periscope new max level

3. The Binocular image now has 2 magnifications. Use the mouse wheel or Tab key when on the bridge to use the Binoculars. The first setting is the same as the stock Binoculars at 7x, the second will increase the magnification by approximately 150% over stock about 18x. Reversing the zoom level takes you back to the standard Bridge view.

4. The Deck Gun station has 3 stock zoom levels 1st level the same as stock 2nd level increased by 100% over stocks 2nd level 3rd level increased by 100% over stocks 3rd max level

There are many other changes to images and graphics, please read the documentation for details.

Clayp's Optics for RFB 1.4: https://www.gamefront.com/games/silent-hunter-4-wolves-of-the-pacific/file/clayp-s-optics-for-rfb-1-4

The mod magnifies 4 system views for ease of use and just for fun.

1. The Periscope and Observation scopes now have an additional zoom level (a total of 3 magnifications, stock game has 2). 1st level is increased by 100% over stock 2nd level is the same as the stock max level 3rd level is increased by 100% over stock max level

2. TBT image was increased by 15% to make it approximately the same magnification as the Periscope new max level

3. The Binocular image now has 2 magnifications. Use the mouse wheel or Tab key when on the bridge to use the Binoculars. The first setting is the same as the stock Binoculars at 7x, the second will increase the magnification by approximately 150% over stock about 18x. Reversing the zoom level takes you back to the standard Bridge view.

4. The Deck Gun station has 3 stock zoom levels 1st level the same as stock 2nd level increased by 100% over stocks 2nd level 3rd level increased by 100% over stocks 3rd max level

There are many other changes to images and graphics, please read the documentation for details.

Wheels

• Thanks 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 1 month later...