DCS and DCS WWII

thanks for the heads up.  wondering when this thing comes out...  (probably before the Corsair)  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I think a plane like that is awesome for DCS, and as much as I’m sure it’s great, I kind of got burned out on Lavochkins a while back, so I probably won’t be getting into that.  But the more planes like this in DCS the better I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today, I’m going to start making panels for the back seat of the Phantom, which will be easier, as a lot of things can be cut and paste.  I’m not really the 60s radar operating type of guy, so being even remotely useful in the back seat will likely be a bit of a grind for me.  I played RIO in the backseat of the Tomcat a few times in MP, and I really sucked.  Still, I feel like you can’t really be a good front seater in a plane like this until you also have a good working knowledge about what’s going on in the back, so that’s just part of the process.  

• Like 3

Every now and then I go read the burgeoning thread abut RB/ED over on the DCS forums, just in case anything official is hinted at. 

Just a heads up.

At midnight (local to anyones PC) on 14th June, apparently the F15s radar stopped working. Temporary solution appears to be rolling back the PC's internal clock (others add to do it once DCS is running) . I dunno if this is a random thing or something built into the code of everything dcs to avoid piracy or something. CM mangers at ED have stated ED is aware and looking into it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Sea Serpent said:

I uninstalled all of the RB modules last week, when malware warnings started happening.  Enough of this nonsense. The only question for me at this point is what I’ll spend my refund miles on.  

I did similar...   lots of banter going about in those DCS threads, I'll leave it there.

Later today, I'll be back in my Rhino enjoying the heck out of her.  😁

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Re the launcher - I would have preferred a few more cistom options. Maps react differently to certain settings like detail LOD etc and helo v fixed wing also changes the ideal. 3 isnt enough. 

First world problems

• Like 1

If I’m in the full fidelity Sabre, and I’m facing some guy in the training wheels Sabre in MP, is he going to kick my ass?  Same thing for the F-5.  I don’t think so, because these particular aircraft aren’t prone to giving one a helmet fire to begin with, but I’ve never been fully comfortable with easy planes co-existing in the same multiplayer universe as FF planes.  Obviously for more modern MiGs and Sukhois, that’s all there is, so it’s a necessary evil.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

If I’m in the full fidelity Sabre, and I’m facing some guy in the training wheels Sabre in MP, is he going to kick my ass?  Same thing for the F-5.  I don’t think so, because these particular aircraft aren’t prone to giving one a helmet fire to begin with, but I’ve never been fully comfortable with easy planes co-existing in the same multiplayer universe as FF planes.  Obviously for more modern MiGs and Sukhois, that’s all there is, so it’s a necessary evil.

I presume server owner can select who is allowed and what isnt per module. When it comes to FC is it all or nothing or can indivual aircraft be ruled in/out?  Personally Ive never found FC easier to fly as I cant remember that many keybinds anymore!

Edited by Boo
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

If I’m in the full fidelity Sabre, and I’m facing some guy in the training wheels Sabre in MP, is he going to kick my ass?

In my personal opinion, the players that will trend towards the simpler planes will probably be the newer less experienced players, or those that just do not have the money to buy the FF planes. Those who trend towards the FF product will probably spend more time becoming familiar with the plane and its system. I do not foresee any issue with the 2 co-existing.  Obviously this only applies to cases where both options are available in the same plane.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, javelina said:

I did similar...   lots of banter going about in those DCS threads, I'll leave it there.

I just did the same... My dear Twatwagen was stuck on 6 g as the g limiter switch was not working anymore. On top of that there's the banter about virus detections. I haven't had those, but I am shocked that both the Twatwagen and the Mig19 are still for sale in the DCS store. Nick does a very, very bad thing there. A dev studio tanking is one thing, but keeping them in your store after the fact when their rotting away has begun already is quiet something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

I just did the same... My dear Twatwagen was stuck on 6 g as the g limiter switch was not working anymore. On top of that there's the banter about virus detections. I haven't had those, but I am shocked that both the Twatwagen and the Mig19 are still for sale in the DCS store. Nick does a very, very bad thing there. A dev studio tanking is one thing, but keeping them in your store after the fact when their rotting away has begun already is quiet something.

I (dont) agree with Nick (to parphrase one of our lamentable PMs (take your pick)) either. I think its shoddy.

At this moment though, its only the corpse of the F15 that the dogs are fighting over. I would have hoped that, given the age of the Harrier and M2000 at least,  that post VEAO and the gimme all your source codes (all your love and kisses too) schlick, would perhaps better protect these, largely complete, modules if RB rides off into the sunset.

Of course its Razbam so theres a good possiblilty that they ignored the rules like a partying Tory in covid.  Then again, it could be that ED can fix stuff either in time or when it guages its no longer in its interest to allow stuff to go wrong on all RB modules.

Who knows. I'll be pished if the Harrier stops working - only seems like yesterday that the bugger finally got properly going 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boo said:

At this moment though, its only the corpse of the F15 that the dogs are fighting over. I would have hoped that, given the age of the Harrier and M2000 at least,  that post VEAO and the gimme all your source codes (all your love and kisses too) schlick, would perhaps better protect these, largely complete, modules if RB rides off into the sunset.

I think it would have been the proper way if Nick had a contingency plan for a dev studio producing for his in-app store going belly up. If it was a product from flightsim.to, then fine. But in-app stores have different standards. Or should have. I mean, all RB products are still available in the store…

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

I think it would have been the proper way if Nick had a contingency plan for a dev studio producing for his in-app store going belly up. If it was a product from flightsim.to, then fine. But in-app stores have different standards. Or should have. I mean, all RB products are still available in the store…

Sadly, I think most of us, before this, thought there was a plan after VEAO. It seems that isnt the case. 

• Like 2

I got a refund for the SE after a considerable wait, apparently because they are working overtime to process the number of requests.  Whatever backpay RB thought it had in arrears with ED must be vanishing before their very eyes.  I wished the F-15 would have worked out, but now I can get a free, or virtually free, plane, and there are some really good ones I don’t yet have.  I really can’t ask for more than that, and that makes me a happy customer.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sea Serpent said:

Kiowa, Viggen, Viper, or Chinook?

of the choices presented, Viper for me. 

I don't have the other 3, so I'm not really an informed source.  (For choppers, I love my Apache, Huey, Mi-8, and the OH-6).

• Like 2

The DCS addict in me wants the F-16.  But I already have and know the Hornet.  And I’m lazy as f#$k too.  F-16 looks like a painful learning curve to do the same thing, with the same weapons, and that’s why I never got it before.  Some of those planes can be like relearning to type on a Klingon keyboard, just to write the same memo.  Real life F-16 never turned me on much for some reason, maybe because they’re so ubiquitous.  Up in the sky, it’s a bird, it’s a plane, no it’s a Fighting Falcon! said no American ever.  And yet, I still have an urge to get it, because I’m a flight sim junkie.  Such hard choices in life😥

(I’ll go ahead and post the above, but I can clearly see I was mainly typing it out in an attempt to dissuade myself!)

• Haha 3

With the release of the Rhino, I haven't flown anything else.  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I suppose I could skip all the weapons the Falcon has to offer and pretend I’m a member of the Air National Guard, where as flight lead of a tight parade formation, my mission is to be time-on-target, flying over Football stadiums, just as the Star Spangled Banner ends.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2