F4F restoration progress.

Rjel

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I remember having to keep tapping the keyboard to lower or raise the undercarriage in the old IL2  :classic_rolleyes:

Notice he said in the video, ''theoretically you could just allow the weight of the undercarriage to lower the gear'' interesting... I wonder if pilots ever did that.

I read that somewhere, long ago.  Some of the F4F Pilots were able to leverage just that.  Going into a turn, pulling a little bit of G, and having that help with the gear drop. 

• Like 3

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

That was part of the charm of flying that plane. :classic_cool:

Wheels

I thought it was one of the real drawbacks, thoroughly disliked by pilots. One reason, in the early days, why pilots liked the F2A so much, it had hydraulic gear.

• Like 2

Cool vids Boba. 

I remember reading in Barrett Tillman's excellent book on the F4F Wildcat that pilots had to be very careful not to lose their grip on the handle when raising the gear after take-off. Seems the wind resistance on the legs was quite strong, and if the pilot let the handle slip from his grasp, the wind would quickly drag the gear down again. Invariably with the handle spinning madly and whacking the pilot in the hand or arm, with painful consequences.

2 hours ago, Boom said:

the wind would quickly drag the gear down again. Invariably with the handle spinning madly and whacking the pilot in the hand or arm, with painful consequences.

I remember hearing it at a Planes of Fame event where the Wildcat was featured or reading that somewhere too.

Wheels

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.